Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 12th 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default DXing with Portables

I've noticed a lot of folks getting swept up in the "ultralight" MW
DXing trend. I think the idea is to see who can snag the best DX with
the smallest radio.

I've always enjoyed playing the same game with HF DXing. I really
enjoy taking small portable receivers into RF-quiet zones to see what
kind of DX is possible. These endeavors inevitably involve
experimentation with reels and other simple external antennas, but
sometimes I restrict myself to just using the built-in whips.

So, I'd like to ask folks a couple of questions:

1. Which receiver is your favorite for portable DXing? I'm partial to
my Sony 7600G, 7600GR, Degen 1102 and 1103 and, of course, my Eton E5.
Do some of you have others that you prefer?

2. What is your best DX with a portable? I know I'm not likely to hear
the same things I do on my Icom R75, but I still think there's the
potential to snag some interesting DX. What's the best DX you've hears
on a small portable?

Hopefully, this will give us something to talk about other than this
silly election,

Mike
Louisville, KY
WA4009SWL

You DXing RHF RHF Shortwave 6 August 20th 07 05:53 AM
Anyone DXing Tommy Tootles Shortwave 6 April 30th 07 03:17 PM
Messageboards,,, A Good Read............dxing.info/community...............dxing.info/community http://www.lookaboutusa.com/ Shortwave 1 January 18th 07 09:02 PM
Need HF rig for first try at DXing Greg Courville General 4 August 20th 03 03:29 PM
Need HF rig for first try at DXing Greg Courville General 0 August 20th 03 08:40 AM