Old October 4th 08, 02:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Best radio less than $400

Okay, I originally asked about the Grundig 750 which sells for around $300.
Now I would like to know what can be considered the BEST shortwave radio for
$400 or less. I'm sure I'll get a slew of answers but I would like to have
your opinions nonetheless.

Thanks,

Rob

Old October 4th 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"Rob Osborn" wrote:

Okay, I originally asked about the Grundig 750 which sells for around $300.
Now I would like to know what can be considered the BEST shortwave radio for
$400 or less. I'm sure I'll get a slew of answers but I would like to have
your opinions nonetheless.

$399.95
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/0101.html

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old October 4th 08, 04:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

none wrote:
Rob Osborn wrote:
Okay, I originally asked about the Grundig 750 which sells for around
$300. Now I would like to know what can be considered the BEST
shortwave radio for $400 or less. I'm sure I'll get a slew of answers
but I would like to have your opinions nonetheless.

Thanks,

Rob

Ten-Tec RX-320

RX-320D

http://www.universal-radio.com/CATAL...rxvr/0321.html

Old October 4th 08, 11:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article , Dave wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
none ""dave\"@(none)" wrote:

Rob Osborn wrote:
Okay, I originally asked about the Grundig 750 which sells for around
$300.
Now I would like to know what can be considered the BEST shortwave radio
for
$400 or less. I'm sure I'll get a slew of answers but I would like to
have
your opinions nonetheless.

Thanks,

Rob

Ten-Tec RX-320

This is not a stand alone radio.

The OP obviously has access to computers.

Computers have a tendency to generate interference. On the plus side
they can range from improving what you can hear to being necessary for
decoding digital modes but I gathered that the OP was looking for
international broadcasters. The computer in not a big plus here unless
he has a well isolated antenna.

If he wants to follow your radio advice then he needs to get an outdoor
antenna that is isolated from the computer equipment noise.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old October 5th 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I just now saw on WLBT tv news,
The McCoy Brothers Blues Marker Raymond Mississippi.Among some other
songs, they wrote/sang the Corina,Corina song.
Raymond is eight miles Southwest of doggy's couch.
cuhulin

Old October 5th 08, 05:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article , Dave
wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article , Dave wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
none ""dave\"@(none)" wrote:

Rob Osborn wrote:
[...]

Modern computers don't seem to leak nearly as much as older ones. Most
radios have computers inside them; can outside be that much worse?

The answer is much worse. Separate computer, monitors, keyboards, mice,
routers, UPS, printers, and all that interconnecting cable make a lot
more noise.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old October 5th 08, 05:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article , Dave wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
none ""dave\"@(none)" wrote:

Rob Osborn wrote:
[...]

Truth be told, I am looking for a portable unit that I can listen to in a
variety of locations.

Oz

Old October 5th 08, 07:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
Bart Bailey wrote:

On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 21:04:55 -0700, Telamon
wrote:

In article , Dave
wrote:

~~~

Modern computers don't seem to leak nearly as much as older ones. Most
radios have computers inside them; can outside be that much worse?

The answer is much worse. Separate computer, monitors, keyboards, mice,
routers, UPS, printers, and all that interconnecting cable make a lot
more noise.

Could be you paid too much to get all that extra radiation ?
I recently got a middle of aisle bargain emachines from WalMart
that doesn't generate any interference,
There's a gob of wires to the amplified subwoofer 'n speakers, DSL
modem etc. all just under the same bench as my Ham station which is
about as sensitive to noise as the portable E1, yet I hear the
neighbors' CFL porch light better than anything in here.
Maybe some day when they're not home I'll try to filter it with a
broom handle. g

I forgot about the DSL modem. The UPS is the worst noise source. It only
affects 60 and 49 meters.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California