Old October 5th 08, 05:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Universal has a Frog 7 w/Collins filter

In article , says...
BDK wrote:
In article ,
says...
UU86 YAESU FRG- 7 RCVR COMM ANALOG
MAN,COLL.FILT,PHONES 469.95 GOOD

WOW, that price is a tad steep. I bought two 7700's over the years for
less than $300, and that was when they weren't 30 years old. No Collins
filter, but still...

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/979

The 7 was an ok receiver, in it's price range, but nothing all that
great.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1808

That guy who said his FRG-7700 was better than his Kenwood TS-450 must
have had a very bad 450.
--
BDK

BDK Klan leader?
kOOk Magnet!
NJJ CLUB #1
Shillmaster
Old October 5th 08, 05:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article , says...
BDK wrote:
In article ,
says...
UU86 YAESU FRG- 7 RCVR COMM ANALOG
MAN,COLL.FILT,PHONES 469.95 GOOD

WOW, that price is a tad steep. I bought two 7700's over the years for
less than $300, and that was when they weren't 30 years old. No Collins
filter, but still...

http://www.geocities.com/yaesu_frg7/.../7history.html

I've owned at least one of every model of HF receiver Yaesu made, so I'm
well familiar with them.
--
BDK

BDK Klan leader?
kOOk Magnet!
NJJ CLUB #1
Shillmaster
Old October 5th 08, 02:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

BDK wrote:
In article , says...
BDK wrote:
In article ,
says...
UU86 YAESU FRG- 7 RCVR COMM ANALOG
MAN,COLL.FILT,PHONES 469.95 GOOD

WOW, that price is a tad steep. I bought two 7700's over the years for
less than $300, and that was when they weren't 30 years old. No Collins
filter, but still...

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/979

The 7 was an ok receiver, in it's price range, but nothing all that
great.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1808

That guy who said his FRG-7700 was better than his Kenwood TS-450 must
have had a very bad 450.

BDK.
Your right, on the 7700 and the 8800. they were nothing special,
unless your a collector. the frog-7 was was a good radio in it's
time. i have a high number 7 and the sears badged receiver in my
collection. the 7 is still a fun receiver. and if you read the yahoo
group, a bunch of them are still in use. our friend GH still uses
one as his number one receiver. these days most people want an
easy to use receiver- got to have a keypad and almost tune itself.
even some don't like the palstar which doesn't have a keypad, but
is still an up to date receiver. i'm not lazy, and tuning a good
receiver is still fun to me.

Drifter...
Old October 6th 08, 06:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
says...
BDK wrote:
In article ,
says...
BDK wrote:
[...]

I like the old ones too.

I have a modded to ridiculous levels Hammarlund HQ-100 that, except for
stability in SSB mode (It has a product detector added to it) is the
equal of anything under about $1000 new I have put against it. It sounds
great running into a RS Minimus-7 speaker. It also makes a great space
heater in this coldest room in the house. Got it for a whopping $58 on
Ebay long ago. All I had to do to get it going was resolder a wire. A
couple years ago, I had to put a couple of tubes in it, but that's it.

I bought a Allied SX-190 SW receiver that I have been playing with,
trying to find and fix the cause of a sensitivity issue on all bands
except the 9MHZ one. That one is sensitive to the point of overload. I
will get going on it again one of these days, it's got to be something
simple, as the radio works fine, except for being deaf on most bands.

In the newer easy to use rig dept, my JRC NRD-515, is my main reciever,
with a modded NRD-525, and Kenwood TS850 are fun too.
--
BDK

BDK Klan leader?
kOOk Magnet!
NJJ CLUB #1
Shillmaster

Old October 6th 08, 04:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

BDK wrote:

[...]

BDK, vary cool. had an SX-190 many moons ago, wish i still had it.
the NRD-515 is one of my all time favorites. great rig, been trying
for about 3 years to get my hands on the keypad and junction box for
mine. sounds like you got yourself a great line up there. that Hammar
should be a great winter project.

Drifter...

Old October 6th 08, 05:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
says...
BDK wrote:

[...]

I passed on the keypad about 5 times over the years. I should have
grabbed up the new one Universal had in the used stuff just after the
525 came out, and people traded their 515's in on them. I can't remember
what they wanted, but I thought it was way too high. The next couple had
minor scratches and I passed on them too. The next two were so insanely
priced, I just couldn't pull the trigger.

It's hard to believe I've had my 515 for almost 25 years, and it's
almost 30 years old.

--
BDK

BDK Klan leader?
kOOk Magnet!
NJJ CLUB #1
Shillmaster
Old October 8th 08, 04:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
says...
BDK wrote:
In article ,
says...

I passed on the keypad about 5 times over the years. I should have
grabbed up the new one Universal had in the used stuff just after the
525 came out, and people traded their 515's in on them. I can't remember
what they wanted, but I thought it was way too high. The next couple had
minor scratches and I passed on them too. The next two were so insanely
priced, I just couldn't pull the trigger.

It's hard to believe I've had my 515 for almost 25 years, and it's
almost 30 years old.

But, the 515 feels like a real radio. this one has been here, i guess
about 15+ years. never missed a beat. bunch of people complain about
the sound, i run the JRC's with the old radio shack 7 speakers. when
RS dumped them, i got my hands on 6 of them. great speaker for any
radio. BTW, the price is still high. an NVA-515 just went $550. on
e-screw last week. universal has a 515 and the 98 ch mem unit for
$1550. i don't need another JRC.

Drifter...

Mine has had a few problems, the most annoying of was due to the damn
crimped interconnects. I finally soldered them on and put deoxit on all
the plugs and it permanently cured it. I had a couple of bad solder
joints over the years, on the PS and one of the ribbon cable plugs.

The NVA-515 is a pretty worthless speaker, IMO, I got it just to have
the "set". I have a second one I bought at a hamfest, it's had the
actual speaker replaced with a really nice sounding speaker that sounds
very good, especially running off the line out, through a small car amp.

I hope I don't have to get too desperate money wise, and have to sell
one or more of my toys..
--
BDK

BDK Klan leader?