Old November 7th 08, 04:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default OT...There are Crystal Sets,and then There are These Crystal Sets...

http://www.arcsandsparks.com/radiokitpage.html
Old November 7th 08, 11:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 6, 11:28*pm, rtc wrote:
http://www.arcsandsparks.com/radiokitpage.html

I gotta say, man those are sharp. Does anyone in the group own either
a crystal or regenerative set? How are the regeneratives sets on the
BCB comparable to say a regular just AM radio. Can you actually get
some good dx from one of them on his site? TIA
Old November 8th 08, 10:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 7, 2:59*pm, Billy Burpelson wrote:
BCBlazysusan wrote:
Does anyone in the group own either a crystal or regenerative set?

Yes, both.

How are the regeneratives sets on the BCB comparable to say a regular
just AM radio. Can you actually get some good dx from one of them on
his site? TIA

Regenerative set characteristics:

Very sensitive. Poor selectivity. Subject to tuning instability from the
"hand-capacity" effect. Not a 'good neighbor' to other radio receivers
in the neighborhood due to radiation back through its antenna.

That is not a problem here. :-)

These
negative characteristics could be somewhat mitigated by some design
tricks, but almost any superheterodyne will run circles around a regen.
To (sort of) answer your question about DX -- it has plenty of
sensitivity, so OK for DX -if- selectivity is not an issue. They were
great in their day (the 30s) because they could be built cheaply (not
many disposable $ during the Depression), there weren't that many
stations around nor very many 50 kW blowtorches. A good receiver for its
time, a technological curiosity today.

So I couldn't grab BCB DX from say Kansas/Nebraska from here in Ohio?
I am somewhat familiar with the regenerative sets I suppose. My
Hammarlund 129X has the Heathkit Q Multiplier add on, isn't that
somewhat comparable? The use of the Q Multiplier I mean. I lover the
129X but it just wouldn't be the same IMO without the Multiplier.

What would be the best type of antenna for one? Antenna wise isn't it
basically the same as connecting to any other radio? Or is a specific
type of antenna better. TIA
Old November 8th 08, 11:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

BCBlazysusan wrote:

So I couldn't grab BCB DX from say Kansas/Nebraska from here in Ohio?

Sure you could...didn't say you couldn't. DX'ing is a -combination- of
equipment, propagation, skill and luck. However, I interpreted your post
as mainly asking about the characteristics of a regen. A regen will
(can) work, but there are better tools out there.

BTW, nice URL you gave showing the old radios the guy had for sale. He
does beautiful work, but at $250 for his "fancy" regen, a little pricey.
With basic soldering skills and just a slight bit of
mechanical/construction skills, you could -easily- duplicate it for half
the price. If you wanted an even simpler regen just to experiment and
play with, you could home brew it for 25 or 30 bucks.

I am somewhat familiar with the regenerative sets I suppose. My
Hammarlund 129X has the Heathkit Q Multiplier add on, isn't that
somewhat comparable? The use of the Q Multiplier I mean. I lover the
129X but it just wouldn't be the same IMO without the Multiplier.

Well, kinda sorta 'comparable', but not really. 'Comparable' only in the
sense that the Heath Q- mult works on the principle of regeneration;
however, the Hammarlund is still a superhet with all its inherent
advantages over a regen.

What would be the best type of antenna for one? Antenna wise isn't it
basically the same as connecting to any other radio? Or is a specific
type of antenna better. TIA

Generally speaking, almost any antenna is fine. Nothing special is
required; remember, these were popular back in the 30s and there weren't
too many fancy antenna arrays around back then.

Using a Drake SW-4 with an unfolded paper clip for an antenna, it was
easy to copy Radio Havana, the BBC and many other stations. (Just don't
expect to hear that 500 watter on Pago Pago with your paper clip). So
anything you can come up with longer than a paper clip will be just fine.
Old November 8th 08, 12:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 8, 6:29*am, Billy Burpelson
Sure you could...didn't say you couldn't. DX'ing is a -combination- of
equipment, propagation, skill and luck.

Oh, OK. I thought you were saying with those pieces it'd be almost
impossible if not impossible. Those really are neat IMO - at least to
me it is just something to pull in a pretty good faraway signal on a
older piece. Maybe to me it is the challenge of cleaning up the signal
with all the knobs and switches/filtering etc. Would I love to have a
Drake like Steve and some of you guys, you bet I would. I could go out
and get one but there are more pressing things now. That Hammarlund
129X and my 140X are just incredible and sound incredible on the BCB
and with the Multiplier it really cleans them up on the 60 meter band.

However, I interpreted your post
as mainly asking about the characteristics of a regen. A regen will
(can) work, but there are better tools out there.

Oh sure, I know there is. :-)

BTW, nice URL you gave showing the old radios the guy had for sale. He
does beautiful work, but at $250 for his "fancy" regen, a little pricey.
With basic soldering skills and just a slight bit of
mechanical/construction skills, you could -easily- duplicate it for half
the price. If you wanted an even simpler regen just to experiment and
play with, you could home brew it for 25 or 30 bucks.

I know, but I have a little problem with my left arm, nothing huge but
I have some permanent nerve damage in that arm that goes down to my
hand and with me being predominately left handed my soldering days are
all but gone. I remember when I used to tinker around but it is just a
tad too much for ole' lefty. ;-) I hate having to pay or pay extra to
have something done I used to be able to do but that's OK. I have got
to meet some great people via this group and other boards that have
sold me some nice radios (Brenda Ann and some others) or done some
work for me that I just can't do.

Well, kinda sorta 'comparable', but not really. 'Comparable' only in the
sense that the Heath Q- mult works on the principle of regeneration;
however, the Hammarlund is still a superhet with all its inherent
advantages over a regen.

I know what you mean what I am saying is I am familiar with the regen
part of it all and how to operate it.
As for you antenna response I copy that.

3946 crystal to swap; wanted 3546 crystal Smokey Boatanchors 0 June 19th 06 02:25 PM
FS: PRC-77 Sets Ira J. Moser Swap 4 April 23rd 04 09:49 AM
FA: Crystal calibrator circuit board w/crystal on Ebay GS Boatanchors 0 October 3rd 03 12:13 AM
FA: Crystal calibrator circuit board w/crystal on Ebay GS Boatanchors 0 October 3rd 03 12:13 AM
FA: Crystal calibrator circuit board w/crystal on Ebay GS Swap 0 October 3rd 03 12:13 AM