Old December 11th 08, 03:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Looking for portable shortwave receiver with SSB capability

On Dec 9, 8:24*am, "Bob D." wrote:
I'm looking for a portable shortwave receiver that can do a credible job of
tuning SSB on the ham bands (without an external antenna).

If you got a Radio Shack nearby, perhaps the Grundig G6 will do the
job. It does have SSB mode and I've been able to copy some of the hams
with the fine tuning. I've listened to weather broadcast and the Armed
Forces network on SSB also with this unit. But there is no gain
control on the G6. Radio Shack has a good return policy so maybe
that's worth a look. However, I don't have another unit to compare the
SSB with on this, if I continue to enjoy this hobby, I might try to
get a higher end portable unit like the Satelitt 750
Old December 11th 08, 03:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 10, 9:37�pm, SC Dxing wrote:
On Dec 9, 8:24�am, "Bob D." wrote:

However, I don't have another unit to compare the
SSB with on this, if I continue to enjoy this hobby, I might try to
get a higher end portable unit like the Satelitt 750

The eHam reviews on the 750 aren't very good at all. $140 on a Sony
7600GR would probably be the best bet, unless you got the money and
feel like taking a gamble on getting a good Eton E1. At $300, I just
don't think the 750 is worth it. I'd rather risk that $300 on an E1
off of eBay.

Mike
Louisville, KY

Old December 11th 08, 04:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Mike" wrote in message

The eHam reviews on the 750 aren't very good at all. $140 on a Sony
7600GR would probably be the best bet, unless you got the money and
feel like taking a gamble on getting a good Eton E1. At $300, I just
don't think the 750 is worth it. I'd rather risk that $300 on an E1
off of eBay.

Well, to be fair there are only 5 reviews there of the 750 so far. 2 are
5/5, 2 are 2/5 and 1 is 1/5. It looks to me like the low reviews are
dealing with defective units. The same thing happened with the 800.

I would wait a while for more 750 reviews to come in, and for the kinks in
this radio to be resolved. Same situation as the 800.