Old December 17th 08, 05:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default SW Question........

On Dec 16, 8:15*am, "Brenda Ann" wrote:
"BCBlazysusan" wrote in message

As someone that has been in the hobby for only 12-13 yrs I feel I
should know the answer to this but I don't. What is the reason for
having a "stand by" switch?

I have always had a couple theories and or questions about it? First
the question. I won't ask about the stand by on tube radios. But is it
better for me to just put my receiver on stand by if I don't want to
hear it or I get a phone call etc. etc.? Electronically wise is it OK
for your radio to be on stand by for an extended period of time like
say a half hour or is this bad for your receiver? Is it better for you
to just shut down the receiver all together or just turn the volume
down? Follow me?

I always thought the stand by was for if you were transmitting on
another piece of equipment and you didn't want reverb for lack of a
better word going through your receiver. For the tube type radios, is
it harder or more of a pull electrically on the tubes itself? I am
looking forward to the responses.

Stand by switches on tube radios were to keep the tube filaments heated up,
and to a lesser extent, to keep the inside of the cabinet at an even heat,
to lessen the amount of thermally related drift. *The latter may be a reason
to have the switch on a solid state set that doesn't have a PLL, as although
they don't generate much heat, keeping power on key components can help to
lessen drift.

Depending on the point in the circuit that the switch is placed, the only
thing it would stress would be the filter capacitors. Some radios place the
switch between the rectifier and the filters, or in the center tap of the HV
winding, removing power from even the filters.- Hide quoted text -

I appreciate it Brenda, I was hoping you were going to be one of the
replies. I don't think you have the DX394 but I thought you said you
had owned one or fixed one for somebody a while back? This is the
specific receiver in question because it is the one that I have right
by my monitor. Would this help you further in knowing if I should keep
it on stand by for a period of time. Would it be smarter to just turn
it off or turn the volume all the way down? Thanks for mentioning the
tube radio, I didn't add that in my post but I thought it would be
most important evening the heat so too speak.