Old December 22nd 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default New Eton/Grundig portable

Bob Dobbs wrote:
Brenda Ann wrote:
Mind you, I have a couple new radios: An Eton E1XM and a Degen DE1123, plus
a Grundig Satellit 650 Professional (last of the true Grundig big portables)
and a couple ham rigs with GC receivers. For pulling out the DX, the SX-25
beats them all...

Since I'm not privy to the population of your antenna farm, I can only
speculate as to why an old Halliscratcher would beat the newer solid
state rigs. Maybe something to do with impedance and/or coupling?
In my case either of the HAM rigs generally out perform the other
receivers, especially in the presence of QRN. On a quiet occasion it
could very well be different, but those times are frustratingly rare.
Do you use a marker generator to calibrate to the approximate target
freq, or just tune for whatever shows up wherever? Back in my hollow
state days I thought the little XTAL marker box was the neatest thing on
the table, don't know what I would have thought to have seen a digital
display.

I made charts for each band. Bandspread at 100. Main tuning on known
station. Note bandspread setting vs. known station as BS is tuned
toward 0. Extrapolate on graph paper.
Old December 22nd 08, 02:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dave wrote:
Bob Dobbs wrote:
Brenda Ann wrote:
[...]

Clarification: 2nd "known station" in above refers to SWBC station
encountered while tuning with Bandspread. I was never lost on my old
S-40B. Monster of a radio...
Old December 22nd 08, 02:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Dec 21, 10:16*pm, Bob Dobbs wrote:
Mike wrote:
I know a lot of folks knock Eton (hard not to
scoff at their marketing of the E!!),

Assuming you meant to type E1,
I wasn't aware of their marketing nor the nay saying in forums like this
when I decided on one. I saw it at the local HRO back in 2005 when in
there on other business, read the white paper from PtWBR, and decided to
go with it.
Because of its digital display the slight factory frequency calibration
error was more noticeable, so being a bit nit picky I took it back for
another that was within published specs, then had to swap again later
when I got the XM antenna and couldn't get an initialization handshake,
but third time was the charm and I really like it. I probably could have
gotten by with the first one had I known about the osc tweak hole on the
back.
Only later did I subscribe to this group and observe such a collection
of disgruntled owners, if they were indeed owners and not just sour
grape whiners.

- I think Roy (Hussein) Fisk has one
- and he never complains about it.

--

Operator Bob
Echo Charlie 42

It's a Wonderful Radio ! ~ R {who-is-insane} F
Old December 22nd 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Thanks for a good thread everyone. While I have only gotten back into
listening SW recently, I have had police scanners of some sort and mix
for the last 25 years. Police Scanners are 100 times better today then
they were 15 years ago. They scan faster, have more memories, and are
built real solid even today. I've dropped my Pro-95 scanner on the
floor and even on concrete from the top of my car... I can't imagine
dropping today's SW radio like that....
Old December 23rd 08, 01:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bob Dobbs wrote:
Dave wrote:
Back in my hollow
state days I thought the little XTAL marker box was the neatest thing on
the table, don't know what I would have thought to have seen a digital
display.

I made charts for each band. Bandspread at 100. Main tuning on known
station. Note bandspread setting vs. known station as BS is tuned
toward 0. Extrapolate on graph paper.

Do you have a degradation chart referenced to warmup effects (drift)?

You wait until it's warmed-up. That's why you call it "warmed up".