Old December 23rd 08, 04:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default New Eton/Grundig Portable

Congrats on the new 750. It certainly look impressive in the ads I've
seen. Though I'm somewhat concerned about putting out that much money
on a receiver without sync detection, I'll have to give it a closer
look, particularly for MW BCB DXing.

Keep reporting your impressions,

Mike
Louisville, KY

On Dec 22, 10:15�pm, SW4ever wrote:
Thanks everyone for some fine comments and serious analysis on the
above. I remember a Hallicrafters SX28A that a friend of mine and I
shared in my youth (where did that go?) I swear that SX28A was one of
the most magnificent comm. machines I have ever used. Just one of the
great Hallicrafters receivers of yore, built like tanks (and almost as
heavy). Aother dandy was the National NC173 and it's upgrade the
NC183. Beautiful to look at and absolutely superb performance. SSB too
albeit with a BFO circuit rather than switchable USB/LSB.
Well I read a lot of garbage about the new Grundig Satellit 750
which I bought. One joker said he had to adjust the tuning knob with a
flathead screwdriver through a small hole in the knob. Well there is
no such hole in the knob so this guy talked himself into a hole. No
comments on performance at all. "The knobs fall off easily" Yeah right
- try a pair of pliers !! The 750 is a great receiver when hooked up
to an outside, good quality antenna. I use the Hustler 5BTV vertical
and even in this low activity phase of Cycle 24 signals pound in here
in Southern Ontario. I hate to say it but all my other portables are
deaf compared to this baby, but mind you using short long wire
antennas of 20 to 40 feet for the others. AM band reception is
surprisingly good on the 750 as well but I haven't tried a plug-in AM
antenna yet.
Thanks again to all for your thoughtful comments,and good listening to
all from SW4ever.