Old December 24th 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Liking Short Wave Once Again...

...or I should say Liking Short Wave on an older "classic" transistor
portable.

Recently I bought a Zenith R7000-2 in excellent condition and I'm
enjoying this radio like I enjoyed listening back in the late '60's on
my first short wave set...a Knight Star Roamer (tube version) which I
built from the kit.

Finally figured out what it is...I like the old analog dial face of both
of these radios. The sensitivity of the Zenith isn't as good as my Eton
E5 off the whip (albeit a shorter whip than the Zenith) but the Eton
doesn't "tell" me what to expect to hear on the various bands like the
Zenith or Knight radios do. I'm referring to the simple printed
designations of what the different band spectrum is allocated to
receive. This makes it kind of interesting to see if there's any of
that activity where they claim it should be. The Eton just tunes
away.....of course with a chart or a better memory I could recall
what-should-be-where when I tune but my recollection ain't what it used
to be and being the lazy-ass that I am, I don't like to constantly look
things up on a chart. So these analog receiver dial faces have a
certain appreciation by me and make it much more fun to tune the various
bands.

Next project over this holiday break is to align and calibrate the
Zenith and see if there's any more signal I can coax it to receive.

Just my friendly rant/rave...
--Bill
Old December 24th 08, 12:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
Bill wrote:

..or I should say Liking Short Wave on an older "classic" transistor
portable.

Recently I bought a Zenith R7000-2 in excellent condition and I'm
enjoying this radio like I enjoyed listening back in the late '60's on
my first short wave set...a Knight Star Roamer (tube version) which I
built from the kit.

Finally figured out what it is...I like the old analog dial face of both
of these radios. The sensitivity of the Zenith isn't as good as my Eton
E5 off the whip (albeit a shorter whip than the Zenith) but the Eton
doesn't "tell" me what to expect to hear on the various bands like the
Zenith or Knight radios do. I'm referring to the simple printed
designations of what the different band spectrum is allocated to
receive. This makes it kind of interesting to see if there's any of
that activity where they claim it should be.

SNIP

The band usage does change over time. You might want to check an up to
date band allocation map against what is on a old radio analog dial. The
meter designations don't change of course but the Ham band ends
sometimes change over time.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old December 24th 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Ah, the old days have of using your ears tune in a station on an
analog... versus just punching in 4 numbers on a modern radio...

But it's more fun with the analog isn't it???? That's what it is all
about, having fun and enjoyment.

Happy listening
Old December 24th 08, 01:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
SC Dxing wrote:

Ah, the old days have of using your ears tune in a station on an
analog... versus just punching in 4 numbers on a modern radio...

But it's more fun with the analog isn't it???? That's what it is all
about, having fun and enjoyment.

That's why I like radio with more than one tuning method. I prefer
radios with keypads, tuning knob, and up/down slewing buttons.

Happy listening

And best wishes to you.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old December 24th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Junior Member

I started listening to SW on a 1930's Pilot
Radio -- the T-133 with the big wood grille
on the front. When I was 10 I used to listen
for hours upon hours, with my ear glued right
to that grille....but my first listening sessions
I spent looking at the wonderful old dial scale
with the old city names on it.

I too obtained an excellent condition R7000-2
a few years ago and use it from time to time.
And I have three HQ-180s and an Eddystone
downstairs.

Long live the memories!

Old December 24th 08, 02:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

SC Dxing wrote in news:c9ad583a-7cc8-4970-8bb6-
:

But it's more fun with the analog isn't it???? That's what it is all
about, having fun and enjoyment.

I like the analog best, too, but I always wanted a digital readout also,
just to see exactly where I am.
Old December 24th 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Christmas Greetings All!
I really love to listen on a regenerative radio. That is a challenge
and so satisfying to log stations especially DX. Jon in Upstate S.C.

On Dec 23, 8:00�pm, SC Dxing wrote:
Ah, the old days have of using your ears tune in a station on an
analog... versus just punching in 4 numbers on a modern radio...

But it's more fun with the analog isn't it???? �That's what it is all
about, having fun and enjoyment.

Happy listening

WSJ Short Wave review Carter-K8VT Shortwave 2 October 1st 05 01:16 AM
Short wave receivers Chris Equipment 3 February 19th 05 10:25 PM
fa- PHILCO STANDARD WAVE-SHORT WAVE SWITCH>OLD++ RLucch2098 Swap 0 November 13th 03 03:57 PM
fa- PHILCO STANDARD WAVE-SHORT WAVE SWITCH>OLD++ RLucch2098 Equipment 0 November 13th 03 03:56 PM
fa- PHILCO STANDARD WAVE-SHORT WAVE SWITCH>OLD++ RLucch2098 Equipment 0 November 13th 03 03:56 PM