Old December 28th 08, 03:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default WHAS-AM 840 - No More IBOC!

I generally avoid the IBOC discussions in this newsgroup, but it
appears that another 50 kW clear channel station has turned it off, at
least at night. WHAS (840 kHz) in Louisville, KY, has had their
nighttime IBOC turned off for at least the last three days. It's been
a great Christmas surprise to be able to clearly receive WCCO (830-
Minneapolis) and KOA (850-Denver) without having to tune out the
annoying IBOC trash.

Way to go!
Old December 28th 08, 04:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 27, 7:20*pm, Mike wrote:
I generally avoid the IBOC discussions in this newsgroup, but it
appears that another 50 kW clear channel station has turned it off, at
least at night. WHAS (840 kHz) in Louisville, KY, has had their
nighttime IBOC turned off for at least the last three days. It's been
a great Christmas surprise to be able to clearly receive WCCO (830-
Minneapolis) and KOA (850-Denver) without having to tune out the
annoying IBOC trash.

Way to go!

You might want to drop WCCO and KOA a note about how you like your DX
back again. I always suspected IBOC was there to destroy the distant
stations to protect the local market.

Old December 28th 08, 01:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

m II wrote:
Mike wrote:

I generally avoid the IBOC discussions in this newsgroup, but it
appears that another 50 kW clear channel station has turned it off, at
least at night. WHAS (840 kHz) in Louisville, KY, has had their
nighttime IBOC turned off for at least the last three days. It's been
a great Christmas surprise to be able to clearly receive WCCO (830-
Minneapolis) and KOA (850-Denver) without having to tune out the
annoying IBOC trash.

Way to go!

KFBK (1530 Sacramento) seems to be using the 'system'. Anyone close by
having any problems? I'm not getting any more noise than normal on
either side of the frequency, but it's a few thousand miles away.

mike
Calgary Alberta
Canada

Like KNX, KFBK has mild selective fading here. Whenever the fade occurs
the wubba-wubba-wubba-wubba sound comes up. You never used to notice
the slight fades, now they can't be ignored. I suspect this is true of
all AM IBOC stations farther than 30 or 40 miles from the towers.
Old December 28th 08, 01:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
Mike wrote:
I generally avoid the IBOC discussions in this newsgroup, but it
appears that another 50 kW clear channel station has turned it off, at
least at night. WHAS (840 kHz) in Louisville, KY, has had their
nighttime IBOC turned off for at least the last three days. It's been
a great Christmas surprise to be able to clearly receive WCCO (830-
Minneapolis) and KOA (850-Denver) without having to tune out the
annoying IBOC trash.

WCCO 830 is available 24X7 in pure digital here
http://www.wccoradio.com

WHAS 840 is available 24X7 in pure digital here http://www.whas.com

KOA 850 is available 24X7 in pure digital here http://www.850koa.com/pages/ondemand.html

If you have a HiFi receiver with a Ethernet port connected to a
broadband Internet connection you can listen to the above stations as
well as any of the thousands of AM, FM and SW stations available on
Internet radio in pure digital stereo audio bliss any time of day
every day of the week. You can listen to all of the above and more
for less than what you would pay for a used Drake R8!

You do realize that the programming on web streams is different than the
over-the-air programming.

Old December 28th 08, 01:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

KDKA Pittsburgh is local to
me and sometimes WBZ Boston's HD hash is clearly heard through them.

bwaHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Some of us have to rely on distant signals for all our radio.
Old December 28th 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 27, 11:56 pm, wrote:
wrote:
KDKA Pittsburgh is local to
me and sometimes WBZ Boston's HD hash is clearly heard through them.

bwaHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

I think Salty has anger managment problem.
Would you like to tell us more Salty? We're here to listen.
Old December 28th 08, 02:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 27, 10:20*pm, Mike wrote:
I generally avoid the IBOC discussions in this newsgroup, but it
appears that another 50 kW clear channel station has turned it off, at
least at night. WHAS (840 kHz) in Louisville, KY, has had their
nighttime IBOC turned off for at least the last three days. It's been
a great Christmas surprise to be able to clearly receive WCCO (830-
Minneapolis) and KOA (850-Denver) without having to tune out the
annoying IBOC trash.

Way to go!

Good news! Hopefully, it will be permanent! Clear Channel's Format Lab
HD2 channels is down to only 7, from 75, due to a lack of demand. For
AM-HD, more-an-more stations are turning it off:

"CC Radio’s Format Lab gone?"
November 2008

"So bottom line, the Format Lab is no longer available on the web and
has cut some of its formats down to the most successful/desirable. The
www.iHeartMusic.com website seems to only list the main audio streams
of CC stations--not multicast HD formats--but does offer a few off to
the side: erockster; Pride; Verizon New Music; Smooth Jazz; Real
Oldies; Slow Jams and New Country. There used to be something close to
100 formats listed on the site... Really, the next round of budget
cuts--out of necessity--is likely going to be HD Radio equipment and
licensing renewals. It has cost broadcasters money that so far has not
generated ROI. This CC Radio news above, along with the rumors that
Citadel has told Engineering not to fix any broken HD transmitters on
AM, may be the tip of the iceberg."

http://www.rbr.com/radio/11252.html
Old December 28th 08, 02:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 27, 11:10�pm, " wrote:
On Dec 27, 7:20�pm, Mike wrote:

I generally avoid the IBOC discussions in this newsgroup, but it
appears that another 50 kW clear channel station has turned it off, at
least at night. WHAS (840 kHz) in Louisville, KY, has had their
nighttime IBOC turned off for at least the last three days. It's been
a great Christmas surprise to be able to clearly receive WCCO (830-
Minneapolis) and KOA (850-Denver) without having to tune out the
annoying IBOC trash.

Way to go!

You might want to drop WCCO and KOA a note about how you like your DX
back again. I always suspected IBOC was there to destroy the distant
stations to protect the local market.

"Editorial on the recent approval of HD Radio (IBOC) in the USA"

"The reason the big boys in the big markets are so pro-IBOC is because
they like the hash as it wipes out distant signals getting into their
market. There is no way to stop skip, but if the IBOC hash wipes the
signal out, then the locals will have to listen to their local
station. Kind of like legal jamming. Considering that, then even if
the public does not buy the radios, keeping the IBOC signal might be
worth their while."

http://www.am-dx.com/amiboc.htm

Yup! With HD Radio receiver sales still in the toilet, there is no ROI
for HD Radio, but the empty digital saddlebags continue to jam, which
was IBOC's design from the beginning.
Old December 28th 08, 02:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 27, 11:28�pm, Mike wrote:
On Dec 27, 11:20 pm, " wrote:

I don't know if you want to let the former IBOC station (WHAS) know
that you appreciate listening to out of town stations. They might turn
the noise generator back on

You might be right. When WHAS first turned on IBOC, over a year ago, I
wrote them a series of letters and emails, begging them to turn the
IBOC off at least at night. They never responded, so it's hard to
estimate whether they had much impact.

On the other hand, I have noticed that at least two of the major
announcers on WHAS seemed aware of the DX community. I even heard one
of them bragging one Sunday morning about a reception report they had
received from above the Arctic Circle in Norway...

Mike
Louisville, KY

****balls like Eduardo keep emphasizing that if one in not within the
protect contour, then one doesn't count - this is the type of
arrogance that is leading to the decline in the industry.