Old January 3rd 09, 10:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Ping - John Plimmer

Say John, you're a big fan of the ICOM Pro III, and I was wondering if you'd
seen or heard about the ICOM 7600?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 3rd 09, 02:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 3, 12:32*pm, dxAce wrote:
Say John, you're a big fan of the ICOM Pro III, and I was wondering if you'd
seen or heard about the ICOM 7600?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Hi Ace,
just got up from my afternoon nap - too much lovely local wine at
lunch......
Yes, I still have my 756PRO III and it's a really great radio. I
correspond a lot with the Icom expert Adam Farson - see:
http://www.ab4oj.com/icom/ic7600/main.html
The IC-7600 is the same as the 756 but has an re-engineered face you
will see on that website. Icom has released very few details but what
is known is that it still has the "dual watch" feature that the hams
insist on, but Adam explains to me that this means they attenuate the
MW and LF bands same as the 756pro3 = pity!!

So if you are not into MW/LF it is another fantastic offering from
Icom - jam packed with a full house of features and a much better
spectrum scope than the old one. Of course full DSP delivery with
filters so tight they will amaze you, and not to mention the excellent
NR noise reduction feature. It will still run on 12v DC so can be
carted on DXpeditions (unlike my 7700).

It says the spectrum scope is the same as the 7700, in which case it
is fantastic. There are also other very nice features that copy the
7700 but are not on the 756pro3, like a 6 and 3 kHz roofing filter.

If the Huntington Investment crowd have left you any bucks - go for
one - you'll be the happiest DXer in Michigan. Expected price around
the $3k mark.

Good DX in the New Year and have fun.

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7700, Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
ERGO software
Drake SW8. Sangean 803A
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx
Old January 3rd 09, 11:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 4, 12:38*am, Billy Burpelson wrote:
wrote:
* ...just got up from my afternoon nap - too much lovely local wine at
lunch......
Icom has released very few details but what
is known is that it still has the "dual watch" feature that the hams
insist on, but Adam explains to me that this means they attenuate the
MW and LF bands same as the 756pro3 = pity!!

Mr. Plimmer,

Either I misunderstood what you wrote, you mis-spoke or you are still
enjoying the after effects of that "lovely local wine at lunch...". * ;-)

Indeed, hams do like the dual watch feature, primarily for "split"
operation when chasing DX.

However, I am puzzled as to why that feature (dual watch) would require
attenuation of the MW and LF bands. I thought this was done to reduce
intermod because of the very powerful signals in the MW band (nothing to
do with dual watch). Attenuation of MW is commonly done even in
receivers -without- dual watch. Could you please elaborate on this
presumed connection between these two features.

Hi Billy,
No my poor old brain was not too befuddled with the wine. I tried
to find in my old mail Adam Farson's description to me of why dual
watch exposes the radio to more intermod than on the 7700, but alas I
can't find it.

Adam is a very highly qualified radio engineer and I am sure he will
explain it to you in detail why dual watch requires attenuation on LF/
MW. You can contact him at:
farson_at_shaw_dot_ca

The IC-7700 does not have dual watch, and with it's better circuitry
does not attenuate on MW/LF where it is supremely sensitive and quiet.

JP
Old January 4th 09, 03:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,

wrote:
[...]

I would speculate that the continuous switching between two channels
requires low pass filtering be eliminated for that function to operate
leaving the receiver open to saturation or intermodulation by MW signals.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

For John Plimmer: MW QSL's?1 Count Floyd[_2_] Shortwave 13 May 3rd 08 02:59 PM
For John Plimmer: Thanks for the MW Info! [email protected] Shortwave 3 May 3rd 08 08:07 AM
Calling John Plimmer/BCB DX Count Floyd Shortwave 5 September 10th 06 07:17 PM
Ping: John Plimmer dxAce Shortwave 5 April 13th 05 05:30 PM
PING: John Plimmer dxAce Shortwave 3 November 16th 04 03:04 PM