Old January 15th 09, 04:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default why autopatches,ham radio, and CB radios are still good

CB is still good.Not many years ago, one night I was listening to some
18 wheeler truck drivers here in Jackson, Mississippi.They were talking
on their CB Radios.One of those guys said he had just through talking to
a guy in New Zealand.
cuhulin

Old January 15th 09, 06:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.cb,alt.radio.family,rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Citizens With Cellphones and FRS, GMRS and CB Radios Trump AmateurRadio Operators in a 'Local' Emergency

On Jan 15, 2:54*am, "Brenda Ann" wrote:
"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in ...

radioguy wrote:

There are hardly any pay phones around anymore. There used to be lots.
Now there's almost none. Sure, the little booths that say "phone" are
still
there, but the actual phones are not.

Here that has led to people putting in private pay phones in their store
or restaurant. Some places that have seating or displays outside, such as
the corner "minimarket" have them outside. However as soon as they close,
the phone goes into the store and is locked up for the night.

Of course we don't have the street crime problem the US has.

Geoff.

They have the same thing here in S. Korea. *There are Korea Telecom phone
booths (none that I have seen use coins, they use something simiar to a
credit card), but the vast majority of phone booths here are owned by
businesses that set them out with their displays during business hours, and
take them in at night. Those DO use coins, but of course since they are
always in a spot where they are supervised, there isn't much of a theft
problem.

Old January 15th 09, 10:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.cb,alt.radio.family,rec.radio.shortwave

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel *N3OWJ/4X1GM

Where I'm at in the U.S., the stores and restaurants have removed
their pay phones completely. Or maybe it was the phone company who
removed them.

However, at least in my area, it was not because of any crime. It's
because so many people use cell phones now, the regular phone company
doesn't make hardly any profit from pay phones like they used to.