Old May 10th 09, 06:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Satellit 750

Hello Slade:
I also used a 398 (Sangean 909 same innards) for a number of years
together with sundry other portables and a Radio Shack
DX 394. The 750 outperforms any other radio I own, mainly due to the
use of a good outdoor antenna, although the DX 394 makes a good
account of itself with this antenna, a Hustler 5BTV vertical, ground
mounted. Really a Ham antenna, but exceptionally effective on SW. Your
selection of the new antenna will amaze with the improvement in
reception. My location is electrically very noisy, but the outdoor
antenna made a huge improvement in reception.
Noise levels dropped dramatically and DX hunting became a real joy.
Good Luck with the new antenna and Good Listening from SW4ever...
Old May 10th 09, 07:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Thanks for the good post, sw4ever. As you can probably tell, I'm rather new
at this. I've had shortwave radios [off and on] ever since I was a kid in
the early to mid 70s, but I never thought I could own significant equipment.
I am really looking forward to the new antenna [having seven kids at home
makes the extra 'scratch' for equipment rare]. I also own an Icom IC-r7000
[when I bought the Icom, I thought it would receive between 25 kHz through
2.0 GHz. Imagine my surprise!] I purchased a Diamond Discone antenna to go
with it. Currently, I have the antenna about 20 feet in the air and I hope
to bring it up another 20 feet by month's end as well. I receive the City of
Lakeland and Polk County FL emergency, police, and bus service clearly [how
fun is it to hear reports on a failed handicap platform on the "Citrus
Connection" -- please read the sarcasm].

I hoped to get the NASA chatter on the r7000 with the next shuttle going up
for the Hubble, but with a 90% chance at an 1801Z [1401 EDT] launch, I will
still be at work. From my home, I can see the flame and smoke of the shuttle
as well as the jettison of the twin side tanks, but I can't guarantee I will
be able to see the same from my work location in Tampa.

I now have the ISS and NASA freqs, so I just need to program them and keep
an eye out for the ISS as it passes overhead. Thought I'd pass them on you
anyone who might be able to use them.

ISS Ham:
Worldwide downlink for voice 145.80
Worldwide packet uplink/downlink 145.825
Region 1 voice uplink 145.20
Region 2 and 3 voice uplink 144.49
Worldwide uplink for cross band voice repeater 437.80
Worldwide SSTV downlink 145.800
Callsigns for the ISS
Gennady Padalka RN3DT
Michael Barratt KD5MIJ
Koichi Wakata KC5ZTA
Russian callsigns RS0ISS, RZ3DZR
USA callsign NA1SS
German callsign DP0ISS
Packet station mailbox callsign RS0ISS-11
Packet station keyboard callsign RS0ISS-3
Packet Digipeater ARISS

NASA: (kHz, USB common)
NASA booster rocket recovery: 2622, 11407
NASA tracking: 3385, 3395, 6983, 14456
NASA tracking vessels: 5190
NASA booster recovery vessels: 5810
NASA aircraft: 6708, 6896, 7461, 7765
NASA Kennedy operations: 7675
USAF Cape Radio: 10780, 20390
NASA Pacific operations: 11205
NASA tracking (Ascencion Island): 20186, 20191

Edwards AFB: (MHz)
116.4 ATIS
120.7 control tower
121.8 ground control
126.1, 127.8 approach control
133.65 approach/departure control
138.45 commandpost
149.925 security
162.6125 NASA ops
164.1 NASA
173.5875 fire
236.6 control tower
269.9 ATIS
290.3 departure control
318.1 tower
348.7 approach control
372.2 dispatchers
390.1 ground control

Kennedy: (MHz)
117.8 shuttle control
121.75, 126.3 ground control
126.65 weather
142.5, 143.04 cranes
148.455 NASA booster recovery
148.485 launch countdown/status
149.175 shuttle crawler
162.0125 NASA vessels
162.6125 NASA ops
163.4625, 163.4875 security
163.5125 security
163.5625 fire - primary
164.0 radiation checks
165.1875 check points
170.15 base operations
170.175 transportation
170.35 public relations
170.40 General Services Administration
171.15 maintenance/fuel
171.2625 camera tracking
173.175 security - gates
173.4375 medics
173.5625 fire/rescue
173.6625 safety units
173.6875 security - vans
173.7875 fire - secondary
284.0 ground control

Patrick AFB: (MHz)
118.4 approach/departure control
121.7 ground control
125.1 approach control
126.2 control tower
128.8 dispatcher
138.3 command post
273.5 ATIS
335.8 ground control
340.9 approach/departure control
344.6 weather
348.4 control tower
358.3 approach control
372.2 dispatchers

International emergency air frequencies (MHz)
121.5
243.0

Shuttle frequencies: (MHz)
296.8 primary
259.7 secondary
279.0 space suits

Communications and other stuff: (MHz)
1831.8 primary (USAF uplink, phase modulation)
1775.1 secondary
2106.4 primary (NASA uplink, phase modulation)
2041.9 secondary
2205.0, 2250.0 NASA downlink (FM)
2287.5 primary (NASA downlink, voice, phase mod)
2217.5 secondary

Contractors Rockwell (Edwards)
2995.5, 3282.5, 3475.5, 5597.5, 10010.5, 17966.5 (kHz, USB)
122.8, 123.05, 123.35, 123.525, 462.925 (MHz)
Rockwell (Edwards/Kennedy) 123.475 (MHz)
McDonnell Douglas (Edwards) 123.3, 123.55 (MHz)
Com-Tech Associates (Kennedy) 151.955 (MHz)
IBM & Harris Corp. (Kennedy) 152.48 (MHz)
TWA (Kennedy) 154.515 (MHz)

Retransmission on HF shortwave ham bands (KHz, USB common)*
NASA: 20198, 20186
Goddard Space Flight Center Greenbelt, MD WA3NAN: 28650, 21395, 14295,
7185, 3860
Johnson Space Center Houston, TX W5RRR: 28495, 21350, 14280, 7227, 3850
Jet Propulsion Laboratory Pasadena, CA W6VIO: 21340, 21280, 14282,
14270, 7165, 3840
San Francisco, CA NASAAmes Research Center K6MF: 7165, 3840

http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/...ications.p df

Old May 10th 09, 09:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"Slade Henson" wrote:

SNIP

I can see the flame and smoke of the shuttle as well as the jettison
of the twin side tanks

SNIP

Those are solid fuel rocket boosters.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

SATELLIT 750 DOES NOT HAVE DSP [email protected] Shortwave 3 March 14th 08 12:59 AM
Satellit 800 Jill Stafford Shortwave 1 October 5th 06 09:59 PM
Satellit 900; 7600GR Antenna; Pete's AM; Satellit 800...A Miscellany Grumpus Shortwave 2 October 30th 04 12:36 AM
Satellit 700 Stuart Shortwave 1 May 24th 04 05:56 AM
Grundig Satellit 3400 and Grundig Satellit 500 Ray Hall Swap 0 July 28th 03 03:24 AM