Old June 5th 09, 06:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Icom R75 firmware check

Is there a combination of key presses that will show the firmware version?

If not, is there a software means of getting it?

I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

mike

--
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
/ /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /

Densa International©
For the OTHER two percent.

Due to the insane amount of spam and garbage,
I block all postings with a Gmail, Google Mail,
Google Groups or HOTMAIL address.
I also filter everything from a .cn server.

For solutions which may work for you, please check:
http://improve-usenet.org/
Old June 5th 09, 06:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 06/05/09 00:28, m II wrote:
Is there a combination of key presses that will show the firmware version?

If not, is there a software means of getting it?

I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

mike

Neither the ICOM knowledge base, nor the manual for R75 mentions
firmware, any means of updating it, or whether there is a version
tracker.

Likely, you gets what you gets.

Old June 5th 09, 03:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

m II wrote:
Is there a combination of key presses that will show the firmware version?

If not, is there a software means of getting it?

I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

mike

I wasn't aware the radio is flashable. I have one.
Old June 5th 09, 05:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dave wrote:
m II wrote:
Is there a combination of key presses that will show the firmware
version?

If not, is there a software means of getting it?

I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

mike

I wasn't aware the radio is flashable. I have one.

From what little I know, it isn't. I saw a reference to an IC-r75-12
somewhere in reference to a version number.

I can't find any reference in the manual to the usually non functioning
'synch' function either.

I can get this set for a fair price, but I need to know more about it
before committing. The search for decent Linux control programs is also
ongoing.

mike

Old June 5th 09, 05:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

D. Peter Maus wrote:

Neither the ICOM knowledge base, nor the manual for R75 mentions
firmware, any means of updating it, or whether there is a version tracker.

Likely, you gets what you gets.

Weird. Even my now antiquated HP calculators usually tell you what they
are running. I wonder if there is a list of serial numbers tied to the
manufacturing date somewhere.

mike

--
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
/ /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /

Old June 5th 09, 05:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 5, 9:08*am, m II wrote:
dave wrote:
m II wrote:
Is there a combination of key presses that will show the firmware
version?

If not, is there a software means of getting it?

I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

mike

I wasn't aware the radio is flashable. *I have one.

From what little I know, it isn't. I saw a reference to an IC-r75-12
somewhere in reference to a version number.

I can't find any reference in the manual to the usually non functioning
'synch' function either.

I can get this set for a fair price, but I need to know more about it
before committing. The search for decent Linux control programs is also
ongoing.

mike

Mike [M II]

Read Icom IC-R75-12 Shortwave Receiver
http://www.universal-radio.com/CATAL...rxvr/0175.html
-source- Universal-Radio.Com

The 'original' Icom IC-R75-02 Shortwave Receiver
included "Synchronous AM Detection" feature.

The newer Icom IC-R75-12 Shortwave Receiver
is CW, AM and SSB plus FM minus the AM-Sync.

Icom IC-R75 =INFO=
http://www.retrevo.com/s/ICOM-IC-R75...56dj379/t/1-2/

Icom IC-R75 Users Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/icomr75/

and now you know - iane ~ RHF
Old June 5th 09, 05:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

m II wrote:
dave wrote:
m II wrote:
Is there a combination of key presses that will show the firmware
version?

If not, is there a software means of getting it?

I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

mike

I wasn't aware the radio is flashable. I have one.

From what little I know, it isn't. I saw a reference to an IC-r75-12
somewhere in reference to a version number.

I can't find any reference in the manual to the usually non functioning
'synch' function either.

I can get this set for a fair price, but I need to know more about it
before committing. The search for decent Linux control programs is also
ongoing.

mike

I'm using Hamlib (inside fldigi) to control mine. I have a psk31
autospotter consisting of the R75, a $200 Asus netbook, and my MFJ-1024
active antenna.

http://psk.gladstonefamily.net/pskmap.html

http://hamlib.sourceforge.net/
Old June 5th 09, 05:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 06/05/09 11:14, m II wrote:
D. Peter Maus wrote:

Neither the ICOM knowledge base, nor the manual for R75 mentions
firmware, any means of updating it, or whether there is a version tracker.

Likely, you gets what you gets.

Weird. Even my now antiquated HP calculators usually tell you what they
are running. I wonder if there is a list of serial numbers tied to the
manufacturing date somewhere.

If the radio isn't firmware upgradable through factory processes,
it's likely that there is only one firmware version. But there are
several variants of the radio itself, pursuant to bandplans and
other limitations imposed by local governments worldwide. ICOM has
historically, issued an appended model number for each variant. As
well, radios powered by 12 volts as opposed to mains current, will
carry a differentiating model number.

If it's a USA model, you've got the right version of the firmware.

Then, again, as with R71, the firmware may be field upgradable
with a third party chip or daughterboard.

You may want to call Bellevue and ask for clarification. And I'm
guessing KIWA would have that specialized knowledge, as well.

Vonage Firmware Burr Scanner 3 August 20th 07 05:01 AM
KPC-4 Firmware Tracy & Bill Digital 0 January 2nd 07 03:23 AM
PK-88 Firmware Mike M. Digital 0 April 9th 04 12:40 AM
PK-88 Firmware Mike M. Digital 0 April 9th 04 12:40 AM
RX-350 firmware Mike Maghakian Shortwave 2 August 26th 03 10:55 PM