Old July 23rd 09, 09:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Shortwave Time Signals - Where have they gone?

Bob Dobbs wrote:
dave wrote:
SC Dxing wrote:
On Jul 22, 1:16 pm, (Bruce Watson) wrote:

I live about 70 miles south of the transmitter and almost
never hear WWV. WWVH comes in louder and clearer.
It's like that here in SC with the WHRI transmitters... not real far
away but a hard catch, especially at night.

I can't get KVOH, about 20 miles away. Could never hear Delano, either.

Can't say I'm familiar with the reception of KVOH,
maybe when I'm in the mood for some mind rot I'll try to tune them in,
but the VOA in Delano never came in as good as Bethany.
Maybe those Sterbas were oriented away from SoCal
so as to emphasize the polar path?

KVOH is even aimed in my direction...

Main Station Record - KVOH

Permittee: La Voz De Restauracion Broadcasting, Inc.

Call Sign: KVOH File Number: IHFASG-20040413
License/Renewal: Grant Date: 01/11/05 Expire Date: 01/11/09
CP/Pending Applications:

Transmitter Location: 1000 Box Canyon Rd. on Chatsworth Peak,
approx 1.0 km South of 118 Freeway
Transmitter City: Rancho Simi, CA

Coordinates: 34 15 23 N Latitude
118 38 29 W Longitude

Tower Heights: 44 Meters OHAGL 742 Meters OHAMSL
Obstruction Markings: None Required

Conditions: Must coordinate with FAA and take immediate corrective
action to eliminate any
adverse effects on avionics or ground equipment
resulting from operation of KVOH
until a mutually agreeable solution is found. OHAG: 44
m, OHAMSL: 742 m

Target Zones: 10-13

Address: La Voz De Restauracion Broadcasting, Inc
Radio Station KVOH
4409 W. Adams Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90016

Transmitters:

Power No. of
No. Model (KW) TXs Freq.
Tol. Emission

1 RCA BTH-100B 50.00 2 0.0015%
9K00A3E

Antennas:

Gain Azimuth Beamwidth Elevation.
No. Model (dB) (Deg) (Deg) (Deg)
1 LP 14.50 75 68.00 21.00
2 LP TCI 516-3A 14.00 100 68.00 21.00
Old July 23rd 09, 10:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 23, 3:59*am, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote:
Brenda Ann wrote:
That's because of the skip zones of HF frequencies. Unlike BCB, there is
very little ground wave on most of HF, it's all skywave, and the skip zone
starts very close to the transmitter.

- I can't hear a single numbers station attributed to the Mossad, but
I am
- less than 100 miles from anywhere they could be, probably less than
30.
-
- Geoff.
-
- --
- Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel *N3OWJ/
4X1GM

GSM you may be less-than a 100 Miles from the
Transmitters - but the Mossad is said to be everywhere . . .
Old July 23rd 09, 11:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 23, 5:53*am, dave wrote:
SC Dxing wrote:
On Jul 22, 1:16 pm, (Bruce Watson) wrote:

I live about 70 miles south of the transmitter and almost
never hear WWV. WWVH comes in louder and clearer.

It's like that here in SC with the WHRI transmitters... not real far
away but a hard catch, especially at night.

I can't get KVOH, about 20 miles away. *Could never hear Delano, either..

Yeah when "Radio Marti" was broadcast
from Delano, CA was a tuff listen here
in the Gold Country.

Radio Marti [VOA-BBG]
http://www.martinoticias.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Marti

* Radio Marti Shortwave Frequencies
http://www.martinoticias.com/frecuencia.aspx

Delano, CA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delano,_California

VOA-BBG
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_of_America
Old July 25th 09, 04:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 22, 12:13*pm, GregS wrote:
On Jul 21, wrote:

I do get 7850 CHU, that's about all. China Unicom? *Strange, the
language seem to alternate between Eng and French!

Nothing strange about it. As you might have heard, English and French
are both official languages of Canada, and since CHU is a service
operated by a Canadian federal government agency, it must therefore
provide that service in both official languages.

__________________________
Perhaps I should clarify: When googling "CHU" most of the results I
got concerned "CHina Unicom".

I suspected this was a Canadian txer but that perhaps like everything
else on mother Earth it was Chinese owned.

-CC
Old July 25th 09, 06:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

ChrisCoaster wrote:
On Jul 22, 12:13 pm, GregS wrote:
On Jul 21, 7:30 wrote:

I do get 7850 CHU, that's about all. China Unicom? Strange, the
language seem to alternate between Eng and French!

Nothing strange about it. As you might have heard, English and French
are both official languages of Canada, and since CHU is a service
operated by a Canadian federal government agency, it must therefore
provide that service in both official languages.

__________________________
Perhaps I should clarify: When googling "CHU" most of the results I
got concerned "CHina Unicom".

I suspected this was a Canadian txer but that perhaps like everything
else on mother Earth it was Chinese owned.

-CC

That would explain the harmonics.

Old July 26th 09, 03:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 25, 1:04*pm, dave wrote:

That would explain the harmonics.- Hide quoted text -

_____________

Huh?

-blonde!
Old September 5th 09, 08:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 25, 1:04*pm, dave wrote:
ChrisCoaster wrote:
On Jul 22, 12:13 pm, GregS wrote:
On Jul 21, 7:30 wrote:

I do get 7850 CHU, that's about all. China Unicom? *Strange, the
language seem to alternate between Eng and French!
Nothing strange about it. As you might have heard, English and French
are both official languages of Canada, and since CHU is a service
operated by a Canadian federal government agency, it must therefore
provide that service in both official languages.

__________________________
Perhaps I should clarify: *When googling "CHU" most of the results I
got concerned "CHina Unicom".

I suspected this was a Canadian txer but that perhaps like everything
else on mother Earth it was Chinese owned. *

-CC

That would explain the harmonics.- Hide quoted text -

______________________
First, a big BUMP to all of you'z.

Folks I just ran into this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_line_communication
and I wonder if it could be the reason why most of my SW bands sound
like snow - day and night. Apparently it uses frequencies that
overlap extensively with traditional SW bands. Also, I happen to live
less than 50 feet from telephone poles/lines.

Shall I go out in the middle of a state forest and see what SW I pick
up?

-CC
Old September 8th 09, 06:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

ChrisCoaster wrote:
Folks I just ran into this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_line_communication
and I wonder if it could be the reason why most of my SW bands sound
like snow - day and night. Apparently it uses frequencies that
overlap extensively with traditional SW bands. Also, I happen to live
less than 50 feet from telephone poles/lines.

Shall I go out in the middle of a state forest and see what SW I pick
up?

-CC

I don't know about the powerline communication, but there is all kind of
RF noise in the house and city. I like to take my SW100 on hikes into the
local mountains (when they are not burning) and enjoy the much quieter
background.

- Paul
Old September 10th 09, 12:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 8, 2:43*am, dxAce wrote:
ChrisCoaster wrote:
Acc to *http://www.dxinfocentre.com/time.htm, I should be able to
pick up time signals at at least SOME of those shortwave frequencies.

ATA from India has been off now for some time and EBC from Spain has been off
for a while, but perhaps only temporarily.

There were of course many others which are now no longer on the air.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

______________
I've got that "Buzz Aldrin" edition G6 - is that a real Grundig?

Best tuner in the house, for sure!

But my real concern is that I know I can get the time signals on the
internet or phone, but aren't they delayed compared to getting them
straight off the shortwave?

-CC
"Admittedly smugly satisfied that his watch & clocks keep the best
time at home, work, and out on the town."
Old September 10th 09, 08:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

ChrisCoaster wrote:

I was just curious, because when I set all my watches to within a
second of the time off the shortwave, its amusing at work and at
peoples houses to see just how all over the place the time is set!
Even WABC 770 in NY, consistently when a news caster(Charles McCord,
Bruce Anderson, or Jen Nitosso) states the time it's at least
30seconds behind the time on my watch! *What radio station is more
than 10 sec off, let alone over half a minute?

Same here. I listen to WCBS 880 in the morning while having breakfast.
At the top of the hour, they announce, "The time is 6:00 a.m." and
there is a beep. But it is consistently slow by about 7 seconds.

Obviously, they are on a delay. But when you sound a beep, it ought to
be accurate! Maybe not a big deal but this is the flagship station of
the CBS network (50,000 watts clear channel).

I thought my watch was going bad as I had just set it to WWV!

Art Harris