Old July 19th 09, 08:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Shortwave Time Signals - Where have they gone?

Acc to http://www.dxinfocentre.com/time.htm , I should be able to
pick up time signals at at least SOME of those shortwave frequencies.

Since 2002, they have become harder & harder to pick up. Are they
being replaced by the internet??

My receiving equipment? Don't laugh: old-school boomboxes, which all
had SW1 & 2 bands on them covering from 2.5kHz up to 22 - 25kHz.
Don't say it's my boomboxes, because I still get plenty of BBC, VOA,
other broadcasts in every language imaginable, and enough religion
that I need never step near a church(!). The only thing missing:
those beepin' time signals.

Any clues where the signals have gone?

-ChrisCoaster
Old July 19th 09, 08:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 19, 3:08*pm, ChrisCoaster wrote:
Acc to *http://www.dxinfocentre.com/time.htm, I should be able to
pick up time signals at at least SOME of those shortwave frequencies.

Since 2002, they have become harder & harder to pick up. *Are they
being replaced by the internet??

My receiving equipment? Don't laugh: old-school boomboxes, which all
had SW1 & 2 bands on them covering from 2.5kHz up to 22 - 25kHz.
Don't say it's my boomboxes, because I still get plenty of BBC, VOA,
other broadcasts in every language imaginable, and enough religion
that I need never step near a church(!). *The only thing missing:
those beepin' time signals.

Any clues where the signals have gone?

-ChrisCoaster

Sorry, but it is the boomboxes that you're using. WWV doesn't have
nearly the signal strength of those stations you mentioned. Factor in
time of day and overall conditions, you may get a signal every now and
then but certainly not on a regular basis.

I also had a big Aiwa boombox back in the 80's and while I also got
the BBC and VOA with it, that was all I got with it.
Old July 19th 09, 08:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 19, 3:31*pm, wrote:
[...]

the BBC and VOA with it, that was all I got with it.- Hide quoted text -

_____________________
Well, I actually do pick up a LOT on them - just can't name every
program that I turn the dial past, so only the obvious come to mind
here. Sometimes the material I get is so bunched together I need to
use the fine-tune knob on those boxes that have it, just to pick out
all the stations ontop of each other.

That still doesn't explain the very conspicuous absence of those time
signals.
Old July 19th 09, 08:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

ChrisCoaster wrote:

Acc to http://www.dxinfocentre.com/time.htm , I should be able to
pick up time signals at at least SOME of those shortwave frequencies.

Since 2002, they have become harder & harder to pick up. Are they
being replaced by the internet??

Many of the time signals of years past are long gone, though the list you
cited seems to be fairly up to date.

I was very interested in time signal stations in years past and believe I have
27-28 of them QSL'd (veried, for those in Glendale).

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Drake R7, R8, R8A and R8B
70' and 200' wires

239 countries heard and 224 QSL'd (veried for those in Glendale) using the
NASWA Country List.

And, as always, don't let your children attend the Sullivan College of
Technology & Design.

They've hired at least one dufus who once claimed to have a PhD, and who
knows, there may be more dufi there.

Old July 19th 09, 09:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 19, 3:56*pm, dxAce wrote:
ChrisCoaster wrote:
[...]

__________________

I was just curious, because when I set all my watches to within a
second of the time off the shortwave, its amusing at work and at
peoples houses to see just how all over the place the time is set!
Even WABC 770 in NY, consistently when a news caster(Charles McCord,
Bruce Anderson, or Jen Nitosso) states the time it's at least
30seconds behind the time on my watch! What radio station is more
than 10 sec off, let alone over half a minute?

Some folks I understand they set their watches 5 minutes fast, to
"keep ahead" of things, but come on.

I prefer to get these signals off shortwave than off the internet(up
to 1/10th second delay) or phone(1/20th second delay), and can't
believe of all the services the government is cutting in times of
economic crisis they cut time signals!!

-CC

Old July 19th 09, 10:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

ChrisCoaster wrote:
On Jul 19, 3:56 pm, dxAce wrote:
ChrisCoaster wrote:
[...]

WWV on 10 MHz is pretty reliable in the daytime. 5 MHz at night. It
might be scratchy but it's still there.
Old July 20th 09, 03:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dave wrote:

WWV on 10 MHz is pretty reliable in the daytime. 5 MHz at night. It
might be scratchy but it's still there.

Scratchy? I'm not surprised. The 60 rpm vinyl record is getting pretty
worn. The drunks at the time station starting the needle wherever they
want also does not help.

" Hey Fred..ya gots to hear this...shwell stuff. I really got the hots
for that Hawaiian wench"...as he jams it into the groove as only a drunk
can.

mike

--
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
/ /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /

Densa International©
For the OTHER two percent.

Due to the insane amount of spam and garbage,
I block all postings with a Gmail, Google Mail,
Google Groups or HOTMAIL address.
I also filter everything from a .cn server.

For solutions which may work for you, please check:
http://improve-usenet.org/
Old September 10th 09, 08:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

ChrisCoaster wrote:

I was just curious, because when I set all my watches to within a
second of the time off the shortwave, its amusing at work and at
peoples houses to see just how all over the place the time is set!
Even WABC 770 in NY, consistently when a news caster(Charles McCord,
Bruce Anderson, or Jen Nitosso) states the time it's at least
30seconds behind the time on my watch! *What radio station is more
than 10 sec off, let alone over half a minute?

Same here. I listen to WCBS 880 in the morning while having breakfast.
At the top of the hour, they announce, "The time is 6:00 a.m." and
there is a beep. But it is consistently slow by about 7 seconds.

Obviously, they are on a delay. But when you sound a beep, it ought to
be accurate! Maybe not a big deal but this is the flagship station of
the CBS network (50,000 watts clear channel).

I thought my watch was going bad as I had just set it to WWV!

Art Harris
Old September 11th 09, 02:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Art Harris wrote:
ChrisCoaster wrote:

[...]

KNX 1070 does the same thing. They use distributed time code; seems
like the master clock would have an offset.
Old September 11th 09, 05:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
Art Harris wrote:
ChrisCoaster wrote:

[...]

Doesn't IBOC delay the analog that amount of time so that the dropouts can
be filled by falling back to the regular signal? Are they running IBOC,
(or maybe they are running through the processor, but have turned the
digital transmitter off).

KIRO in Seattle was simulcasting for a while (before they turned 710
kHz to sports talk) and the FM had that sort of delay.

Mark Zenier