Old August 13th 09, 09:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default One Word to Describe the Grundig G6 Aviator - WOW!

On Aug 7, 1:22*am, Brian Anasta wrote:
Hi Guys,

I couldn't wait to get home to post after running some errands and
'accidentally' dropping by the electronics store on the way home. Well
boys, I HAVE finally taken the plunge and purchased MY very first
shortwave unit....

The Grundig Aviator G6 (Special Buzz Aldrin LIMITED Edition), it's
sleek and stylish, its lines are smooth, and its oh so sexy - and I am
now the proud owner of one!

Well what can I say fellas, but I AM absolutely delighted to have
finally purchased one of these little beauties. I hesitated for many
days wondering if I was making the correct choice, but after countless
hours of searching product reviews, as well AS lots of advice and
guidance from a few of you guys from our group, I decided to go for it
- and boy am I glad I did. Just taking it out of the box, this thing
really does look the part. The build quality is excellent, it seems
very solid and feels so good in the hand. There also appears to BE a
significant number of neat little features that I am going to have
many days of fun trying to work out how they all work heh. I now plan
to spend the weekend searching through the rec.radio.shortwave
archives to try and get a headstart in terms of setting this thing up
and really getting the best out of it. It IS going to be somewhat of a
case of trial and error on my behalf I would think, but it is very
reassuring to be able to rely on the internet (and our group IN
particular) as well as the various shortwave and ham radio learner
books I have purchased over recent days so that I can learn as much as
I can in the shortest space of time.

Sorry for seeming overly excited guys, but I really wanted to come
here again just to say a big thank you to everyone who helped in my
decision to purchase the Grundig as well as to emphasis once again how
great it is to have a forum board such as ours where people like me
can come and get expert advice so that we can really enjoy our 'toys'
to the maximum!

Kind regards and I hope all of you have a wonderful weekend on the
'waves',
BK G6

I wonder how this compares with the Traveller II G8, with a single-
chip Si4734 receiver that includes DSP filtering. Fascinating
reading: https://www.silabs.com/products/audi.../Si473435.aspx

Old August 13th 09, 02:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
Ross Archer wrote:
[...]

The Grundig G8 (which is a private label version of the Tecsun PL-310wt)
is a very poor performer on SW (at least using the whip alone) because it
is flooded with noise and images from MW signals. If you attach an antenna
it is much better, but tuning around SW without direct frequency entry can
get tedious. Where the G8 shines is on MW and especially on FM.