Old September 28th 09, 07:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default (OT) No more land line phone lines in America.

dave wrote:

U Verse is twisted pair from a box in your neighborhood. Fiber to the
Node.

Well, sorta correct. Twisted pair (copper) back to the V-rad or SLC. (~
3.5 kilofoot limitation for U-verse service). Then fiber back to the
C.O. (central office), not "node".
Old September 28th 09, 05:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
msg msg is offline

D. Peter Maus wrote:

snip
They're moving to bundled voice-internet-TV. When ATT installs
U-Verse, around here, the first thing they do is cut the copper. In many
cases, if possible, they remove the drop line from the pole, so the pair
can't be reactivated. Verizon cuts the copper when they install FiOS.
Comcast cuts ATT's copper when they install their bundle.

This was recently discussed in comp.dcom.telecom and the consensus was
that such assertions were FUD. Please consider providing some evidence
of this practice, and also consider contributing your observations
to the appropriate threads in comp.dcom.telecom. Observations by yourself
or third parties and photographic evidence may be useful in PUC
proceedings.

Michael
Old September 28th 09, 06:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 9/28/09 11:55 , msg wrote:
D. Peter Maus wrote:

snip
They're moving to bundled voice-internet-TV. When ATT installs
U-Verse, around here, the first thing they do is cut the copper. In
many cases, if possible, they remove the drop line from the pole, so
the pair can't be reactivated. Verizon cuts the copper when they
install FiOS. Comcast cuts ATT's copper when they install their bundle.

This was recently discussed in comp.dcom.telecom and the consensus was
that such assertions were FUD. Please consider providing some evidence
of this practice, and also consider contributing your observations
to the appropriate threads in comp.dcom.telecom. Observations by yourself
or third parties and photographic evidence may be useful in PUC
proceedings.

Michael

My statements have been based on personal observations of the
'installation' process in my neighborhood. Comcast definitely cuts
the copper.

Verizon's website has a notation in it's FiOS FAQ about it.

ATT has so far presented no documents relating to this, but when
my g/f had her U-Verse installed, they cut the copper and removed
the drop from the building.

ATT reps are hitting me up monthly to make the conversion, and to
motivate me, the statements noted were made. If that's FUD, which it
may be, given the source, there is support in my observations of the
installations I've had experience with.

I'll be taking photos where I can during an installation. Video,
if I can get into a position for meaningful context.

Old September 28th 09, 07:23 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 27, 7:55*pm, wrote:
I was talking to my old buddy on the phone this afternoon.One of his
sons works for Bell South (at&t) here in Jackson, he is a Techinal
Engineer at the phone company.

He said in a year, there will be no more land lines phone lines in
America.When I asked him, Why? He said becouse so many people nowadays
have cell phones and land line maintnance has gotten too expensive for
the phone companies.

What a Ca - tas - toe - strope! ~ Jimmy Durante.
cuhulin

Yes there will.
Old September 28th 09, 09:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I just came back from camping where cellphone reception does not work.
Only a landline.

The good news though, DX reception on shortwave was incredible at this
location. (remote western South Carolina)

Old September 28th 09, 10:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

When the divorced Bell South woman put her house next door to me up for
sale and she moved back to Natchez, twice I phoned her cell phone number
(in Natchez, (Actually, she lives in an area by the name of Old River,
near Natchez) something about her house.Each time, she said, Hang on,
let me get in a better cell phone signal area.

She once showed me a couple of cell phone camera photos she took of the
area where she lives,,, It is BEAUTIFULL.Moss on the trees, just like my
half acre of land I own in Interlachen Lakes, Florida.
cuhulin

Old September 28th 09, 10:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Another thingy about those Damn cell phones, Radiation levels.I just now
clicked on www.techchee.com

If y'all wants to check it out?
cuhulin

Old September 29th 09, 02:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Neki Hoki, no more corpus delecti ~ Flat Top,,, the old Dick Tracy comic
books I used to read wayyyyyyy back in the 1950s Wayback Machine.
cuhulin