Old September 28th 09, 10:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default (OT) No more land line phone lines in America.

D. Peter Maus wrote:

ATT has so far presented no documents relating to this, but when my
g/f had her U-Verse installed, they cut the copper and removed the
drop from the building.

On 9/28/09 13:30 , Nick Danger wrote:

This is quite puzzling...what did they replace the drop with? Another
piece of copper? Fiber? Or, when you say "building", do you mean a large
apartment complex, large enough to support/justify its own V-rad?

D. Peter Maus wrote:

Building--The house. Private residence. They ran a data line, removed
the analog copper. Replaced one drop with another.

Huh? Ran a "data line"? Whatever do you mean by that? You really haven't
addressed the issue or defined the problem. Do you mean a -fiber- "data
line" or a -copper- "data line"?

You seemed to be all in a tizzy that they "cut the copper".

When ATT installs U-Verse, around here, the first thing they do is cut the copper.

It sounds to me that they just replaced it with another piece of copper.
If they were just replacing the old drop (which may have been defective,
full of squirrel bites or whatever) with a new drop, what's the problem
with that?
Old September 29th 09, 01:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

D. Peter Maus wrote:

Building--The house. Private residence. They ran a data line, removed
the analog copper. Replaced one drop with another.

Huh? Ran a "data line"? Whatever do you mean by that? You really haven't
addressed the issue or defined the problem. Do you mean a -fiber- "data
line" or a -copper- "data line"?

Replaced twisted pair with Cat 6.

In other areas, they're replacing twisted pair with fibre.

You seemed to be all in a tizzy that they "cut the copper".

When ATT installs U-Verse, around here, the first thing they do is cut
the copper.

It sounds to me that they just replaced it with another piece of copper.
If they were just replacing the old drop (which may have been defective,
full of squirrel bites or whatever) with a new drop, what's the problem
with that?

You're being obtuse. Maybe this will help:

They removed the analog phone line. And replaced it with part of a
digital voice, data, tv bundle.

No analog phone. Period.

Old September 29th 09, 01:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

You're being obtuse. Maybe this will help:

They removed the analog phone line. And replaced it with part of a
digital voice, data, tv bundle.

No analog phone. Period.

Now THERE'S your problem!

Nothing digital is ever reliable to the extent that the analog it replaces
is/was. About the closest they get is CD/mp3 audio, which is fairly
reliable, but each has drawbacks. Even if you got no electricity or
batteries, you could still play a vinyl (or bakelite or whatever) record...
all this fanciful digital hoo-haw will fail us when we need it most. Sure,
it's nice to be able to lug around a lifetime's music collection on a device
smaller than a pack of cigarettes.. but..

Old September 29th 09, 02:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

D. Peter Maus wrote:

Building--The house. Private residence. They ran a data line, removed
the analog copper. Replaced one drop with another.

Huh? Ran a "data line"? Whatever do you mean by that? You really haven't
addressed the issue or defined the problem. Do you mean a -fiber- "data
line" or a -copper- "data line"?

Replaced twisted pair with Cat 6.

So? Cat 6 IS copper "twisted pair", albeit with a very tight twist.

In other areas, they're replacing twisted pair with fibre.

They are replacing a lot of -trunk- cable with fiber. As stated
previously, I would be surprised if they are feeding each and every home
with fiber due to the great expense of providing an optical to
electrical conversion at each house.

You seemed to be all in a tizzy that they "cut the copper".

When ATT installs U-Verse, around here, the first thing they do is cut
the copper.

It sounds to me that they just replaced it with another piece of copper.
If they were just replacing the old drop (which may have been defective,
full of squirrel bites or whatever) with a new drop, what's the problem
with that?

You're being obtuse. Maybe this will help:

They removed the analog phone line.

To be correct, eliminate confusion and be less obtuse, you should have
stated that they were removing analog phone *service*, not 'line'. A Cat
6 'line' will work just fine for analog service.

As a presumably technical person, I'm sure you can appreciate the value
of using the correct terminology and providing a clear description of
the problem.

And replaced it with part of a
digital voice, data, tv bundle.

As stated by another poster, this would seem to be grounds for going to
your state utilities commission.

No analog phone. Period.

By "digital voice" and "no analog phone", do you mean they are FORCING
you to use VOIP (voice over internet protocol), the only kind of
'digital' voice provided by the telco.? If so, off to the Commission.
Old September 29th 09, 02:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

What does/what will all of that mean for people who use dial up
computers/internet access? WebTV is dial up too.
cuhulin

Old September 29th 09, 03:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 9/28/09 20:19 , Nick Danger wrote:

As a presumably technical person, I'm sure you can appreciate the value
of using the correct terminology and providing a clear description of
the problem.

Using the terminology of the phone company is apparently not good
enough for you.

AT&T, Engineering. I still have my badge holder and lanyard from 1010
Pine.

Good evening, Gav.

The thread is yours.

Old September 29th 09, 04:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

When I posted this thread here, I also posted it in one of the WebTV
computer newsgroups.Somebody over there called it horse hocky.That same
person said I am an alarmist and I post more manure than a team of
Clydesdales in a day.

That part (more manure in a day) seems apt to me.

Move over Blueberry doggy, it's past our bedtime.You wants a cookie?
WOO WOO WOOF!
cuhulin

Old September 29th 09, 12:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 28 Wrz, 01:55, wrote:
I was talking to my old buddy on the phone this afternoon.One of his
sons works for Bell South (at&t) here in Jackson, he is a Techinal
Engineer at the phone company.

He said in a year, there will be no more land lines phone lines in
America.When I asked him, Why? He said becouse so many people nowadays
have cell phones and land line maintnance has gotten too expensive for
the phone companies.

What a Ca - tas - toe - strope! ~ Jimmy Durante.
cuhulin

Old September 29th 09, 02:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Neki Hoki, no more corpus delecti ~ Flat Top,,, the old Dick Tracy comic
books I used to read wayyyyyyy back in the 1950s Wayback Machine.
cuhulin

Old September 29th 09, 02:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Nick Danger wrote:
dave wrote:

U Verse is twisted pair from a box in your neighborhood. Fiber to the
Node.

Well, sorta correct. Twisted pair (copper) back to the V-rad or SLC. (~
3.5 kilofoot limitation for U-verse service). Then fiber back to the
C.O. (central office), not "node".

# Fiber-to-the-cabinet or fiber-to-the-curb (both abbreviated as FTTC,
although FTTCab is sometimes also used) - fiber is terminated in a
street cabinet typically closer than 300m of the customer premises, with
the final connection being copper.
# Fiber-to-the-node (FTTN) - this is very similar to FTTC, but the
street cabinet is further away from the user's premises; it can be up to
several kilometers away.
-wikipedia