Old October 2nd 09, 07:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default type/length of wire and connectors for external antenna?

I'd like to try an external antenna, but one was not included with my
G5. What type of wire should I get (stranded, solid, gauge,
insulated...), and do I just solder it to the pos or neg lead of a
miniplug to go into the ext antenna receptacle?

Thanks....

Jim

Old October 3rd 09, 11:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 2, 11:13*am, JimK wrote:
- I'd like to try an external antenna, but one was not included with
my
- G5. What type of wire should I get (stranded, solid, gauge,
- insulated...), and do I just solder it to the pos or neg lead of a
- miniplug to go into the ext antenna receptacle?
-
- Thanks....
-
- Jim

JimK,

For 'small' potable Radios, consider the "Portable Wire Antenna"
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...c03868d10d3d23

Note the "PWA" that was created and written
about -by- Tom Sevart [N2UHC]

Portable Wire Antenna "PWA" for the Sony ICF-2010.
To 'quote' Tom Sevant "This is an antenna I put
together after having problems with overload on
my Sony 2010 portable shortwave receiver"
GoTo= http://www.geocities.com/n2uhc/portablewire.html
Old October 3rd 09, 05:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

For 'small' potable Radios, consider the "Portable Wire Antenna"http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/eec03868d10d3d23

Note the "PWA" that was created and written
about -by- Tom Sevart [N2UHC]

Portable Wire Antenna "PWA" for the Sony ICF-2010.
To 'quote' Tom Sevant "This is an antenna I put
together after having problems with overload on
my Sony 2010 portable shortwave receiver"
GoTo=http://www.geocities.com/n2uhc/portablewire.html
*.
Using the "Portable Wire Antenna" (PWA)
with your 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radiohttp://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/a789c8fd6fcb38f2
*.
Two Things that most 'portable' AM/FM
Shortwave Radios Could Use for "Improved"
Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL)http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...3b6d9bcdb872a8
*.
Tune-A-Stick -and- Portable Wire Antenna (PWA)
for Whip Antenna Couplers to External Shortwave
Listener (SWL) Antennashttp://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/09c73c4c94625fc7
*.
AM/MW DXing Antenna :
Your Radio + Lazy Susan + AM/MW Loop Antenna
for better AM/MW Band Reception and DXing with
a 'portable AM/FM Shortwave Radiohttp://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio..shortwave/msg/ef0d07ba9f706b1b
*.
iane ~ RHF
*.

Thank you very much once again, RHF, for your kind and comprehensive
help. And again, you have given me some work to do :-).

Old October 3rd 09, 08:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Here you will find an "inductive coupler for whips" project complete with
pictures that does work well. It completely isolates the whip from the
external antenna while at the same time providing coupling between the two.
A torroid version of the project is also given.

"JimK" wrote in message

.

Old October 4th 09, 11:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 2 oct, 20:13, JimK wrote:
I'd like to try an external antenna, but one was not included with my
G5. What type of wire should I get (stranded, solid, gauge,
insulated...), and do I just solder it to the pos or neg lead of a
miniplug to go into the ext antenna receptacle?

Thanks....

Jim

Hello Jim,

Every type of metal wire will work for you situation (solid, stranded,
plasticized galvanized washing line, etc).

Most modern SW receivers with internal antennas are very sensitive,
but cannot handle strong signals, so longer will not always be
better.

To reduce the interference from electronic equipment close to your SW
receiver, you may put a coaxial cable between the actual antenna and
the receiver. You can use any type of 75, 90 or 50 Ohms cable. The
center conductor goes to the center pin of the mini plug and the bread
goes to the ground of the mini plug.

The antenna side of the cable needs some clarification. The antenna
wire goes to the center conductor of the cable, the braid should be
connected to ground outside your house (or at least far away from
where you expect or have interference).

What is "ground"? When you live in an apartment, it can be the metal
fence or railing of the balcony. You can use a ground rod or any
other large metallic structure outside your house. Connect the braid
of the cable directly to the ground structure. Do not insert a long
run of wire between the metal structure and the braid of the coaxial
cable.

For some form of static / impulse protection you may add a 1… 3 uH
inductor between the center conductor and the braid. Note that this
inductor will attenuate AM broadcast band reception.

As others said, you have to experiment with the orientation of the
wire to get best signal/noise ratio. When you are very limited in
space for the wire, you may use some 5..10 feet of chicken mesh as
reception antenna or use more wires in a fan shape.

Best regards,

Wim
PA3DJS
www.tetech.nl
please remove abc when using PM.

Old October 4th 09, 04:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Wimpie wrote:
On 2 oct, 20:13, JimK wrote:
[...]

A couple clip leads on the whip helps sometimes. If you want to use a
real antenna, you need a real radio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communications_receiver
Old October 4th 09, 08:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dave" wrote in message
Wimpie wrote:
On 2 oct, 20:13, JimK wrote:
[...]

That brought back some memories !

bmc

Old October 5th 09, 07:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Brian Colwell" wrote in message

"dave" wrote in message
Wimpie wrote:
On 2 oct, 20:13, JimK wrote:
I'd like to try an external antenna, but one was not included with my
G5. What type of wire should I get (stranded, solid, gauge,
insulated...), and do I just solder it to the pos or neg lead of a
miniplug to go into the ext antenna receptacle?

Thanks....

Jim

Hello Jim,

Every type of metal wire will work for you situation (solid, stranded,
plasticized galvanized washing line, etc).

Snip

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communications_receiver

That brought back some memories !

bmc

The best one I ever had was a Thordarson Meissner, can't remember the model.
The one I always wanted, was a Hammarlund Super Pro. Now that was a radio!

Steve R.

Old October 5th 09, 09:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dave" wrote in message
Wimpie wrote:
On 2 oct, 20:13, JimK wrote:
I'd like to try an external antenna, but one was not included with my
G5. What type of wire should I get (stranded, solid, gauge,
insulated...), and do I just solder it to the pos or neg lead of a
miniplug to go into the ext antenna receptacle?

Thanks....

Jim

Hello Jim,

Every type of metal wire will work for you situation (solid, stranded,
plasticized galvanized washing line, etc).

Snip

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communications_receiver

That brought back some memories !

bmc

The best one I ever had was a Thordarson Meissner, can't remember the
model. The one I always wanted, was a Hammarlund Super Pro. Now that was a
radio!

Steve R.

My first receiver was an ex airforce model R1155...there was an outfit that
got hold of some surplus units and modified the power supply.....it was a
pretty good performer.....we had little choice, at that time !!
But you are so right about the Super Pro.

bmc

Old October 11th 09, 05:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 4, 4:15*am, Wimpie wrote:
On 2 oct, wrote:

[...]

Hi Wim,

I've been reading the linnks kindly provided in this thread. Am I
correct that a wire antenna can actually damage my radio? Does using
an inductive coil around the whip completely eliminate this
possibility?

I'd like to take advantage of the antenna out on the G5. Is there not
safe way?

Also, if I connect the shield braid of a coax to the ground without
intervening run of wire, then there will need to be a run of wire from
the center coax lead to the radio. Is this OK?

Thanks all.