Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 20th 09, 06:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Let's do some actual listening and see what happens.

The sun is going through a weird sunspot cycle right now and skip should
be pretty good even during the day. 20 years ago I had a big outside
whip and managed to talk to a guy in Jamaica who was really surprised to
be talking to someone from California. If 2x5 watt ERP radios can do
that the stations still on the air should come in strong.
I give this about 2 posts before someone goes off topic.

Second, I have to mention that those el-cheapo CFL's that Wal-mart is
selling have one hell of an RFI output. I thought my radio had gone down
when I thought to turn off all the CFL's in my house and it got
listen-able. I have an oscilloscope monitoring the audio and the noise
spikes are at 60 Hz and very consistent.

I think that if someone wanted to get into their radio it would be a
small matter to put a line synced blank pulse when needed.

Anyone?
No politics.
Bill Baka