Old October 26th 09, 03:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default More noise from lamps.

This week I have been trying to find noise sources to get rid of so I
can listen to some quality shortwave.
First I found the Chinese CFL's to be horrendous and should be reported
to the F.C.C., as if they will do anything.
Last night I had another noise source to kill, a 3 way touch lamp that
uses an SCR. I turned it off thinking the noise would go away but it got
even louder with the light off. Picked it up and looked on the bottom
and sure enough, "Made in China.". The only way to stop the noise is to
unplug it completely, making about a 20dB improvement in the noise floor.
I don't know which other things make RFI this bad but so far "Made in
China." seems to be a warning label for total crap products.

Bill (don't want no stinking Chinese electronics) Baka
Old October 26th 09, 06:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bill Baka wrote:

This week I have been trying to find noise sources to get rid of so I
can listen to some quality shortwave.
First I found the Chinese CFL's to be horrendous and should be reported
to the F.C.C., as if they will do anything.
Last night I had another noise source to kill, a 3 way touch lamp that
uses an SCR. I turned it off thinking the noise would go away but it got
even louder with the light off. Picked it up and looked on the bottom
and sure enough, "Made in China.". The only way to stop the noise is to
unplug it completely, making about a 20dB improvement in the noise floor.
I don't know which other things make RFI this bad but so far "Made in
China." seems to be a warning label for total crap products.

Bill (don't want no stinking Chinese electronics) Baka

These smaal solar panles for eg cell phone/gsm have so much electronics
inside thatthey make a hell of a lot of noise if you use them with radio's.

"stinking Chinese electronics??" It is / was the same with our
electronics ;-) They always try to sell some more than we need ;-)

700+ Radio Stations on SW http://swstations.tk/
Shortwave transmissions in English, Francais, Nederlands, Deutsch,
Suid-Afrikaans, Chinese, Dansk, Urdu, Cantonese, Greek, Spanish,
Portuguese, ...
http://radiolanguages.tk Updated every month or so ....
Old October 26th 09, 06:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"user" wrote in message
Bill Baka wrote:

[...]

That, and it's nearly impossible anymore to find non-Chinese electronics.
:-/

People used to whine about how bad Japanese electronics was in the 50's and
60's. That was mostly jingoism, though, since most Japanese electronics was
as good as US electronics (by the mid 70's, it was superior). The current
crop of Chinese Junk electronics makes ANYTHING prior to 1980 look
positively top notch

Old October 26th 09, 01:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bill Baka wrote:
This week I have been trying to find noise sources to get rid of so I
can listen to some quality shortwave.
First I found the Chinese CFL's to be horrendous and should be reported
to the F.C.C., as if they will do anything.
Last night I had another noise source to kill, a 3 way touch lamp that
uses an SCR. I turned it off thinking the noise would go away but it got
even louder with the light off. Picked it up and looked on the bottom
and sure enough, "Made in China.". The only way to stop the noise is to
unplug it completely, making about a 20dB improvement in the noise floor.
I don't know which other things make RFI this bad but so far "Made in
China." seems to be a warning label for total crap products.

Bill (don't want no stinking Chinese electronics) Baka

Didn't we discuss this in depth 10 years ago?
Old October 29th 09, 01:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dave wrote:
Bill Baka wrote:
This week I have been trying to find noise sources to get rid of so I
can listen to some quality shortwave.
First I found the Chinese CFL's to be horrendous and should be
reported to the F.C.C., as if they will do anything.
Last night I had another noise source to kill, a 3 way touch lamp that
uses an SCR. I turned it off thinking the noise would go away but it
got even louder with the light off. Picked it up and looked on the
bottom and sure enough, "Made in China.". The only way to stop the
noise is to unplug it completely, making about a 20dB improvement in
the noise floor.
I don't know which other things make RFI this bad but so far "Made in
China." seems to be a warning label for total crap products.

Bill (don't want no stinking Chinese electronics) Baka

Didn't we discuss this in depth 10 years ago?

I wasn't here 10 years ago (this group), but it has gotten worse. It
seems the Chinese are flaunting *American Stupidity* and getting away
with it. You can't return these things for repair and they know it.
So why doesn't our government do anything? Political kissy face is
getting old. The more of their junk we buy the more of us they own.

Bill Baka

Old October 29th 09, 02:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I use these things in my ceiling fans(3 per fan) only because they give the
equivalent of 100 watts of light in each 60 watt fixture.
The do make a hell of a buzzing noise! Some worse than others of the same
brand. Sure smell when the burn out too.
Anyway what I found was that if I wrap the glass shades on the fan with
aluminum foil (still allows good heat transfer) and ground it to the fan
case.... Voila! The buzzing stops.
Those suckers sure do radiate. I only loose a minimal of light doing this.
Maybe they should come with some kind of screening device/mesh packed in the
package. I really don't think I need the radiation especially from three of
the suckers directly over my head.

Old October 29th 09, 02:55 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

People used to whine about how bad Japanese electronics was in the 50's
and 60's. That was mostly jingoism, though, since most Japanese
electronics was as good as US electronics (by the mid 70's, it was
superior). The current crop of Chinese Junk electronics makes ANYTHING
prior to 1980 look positively top notch

Back in the 50's we used to have a store with a "Japanese Junk" section
I could go spend my Coke Bottle money at. These days even a Made in
Japan is a good find. Hell, even made in Taiwan is good.
My experience so far....China====JUNK.

Bill Baka

Old October 29th 09, 03:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 28, 9:06*pm, "Olson" wrote:
I use these things in my ceiling fans(3 per fan) only because they give the
equivalent of 100 watts of light in each 60 watt fixture.

Yada, yada, yada.

Every time I go to the Home Depot I buy two package of the
incandescent bulbs. I think I have about 200 of em now. Probably
more than I'll need for the rest of my life. I figure that when Obama
gets around to outlawing them I'll sell em each for a buck.

Does the efficiency of the incandescent bulb go up in the winter in
northern climates when you got to heat your house up anyway? How does
that work? What if i need to put a lightbulb under my trailer to keep
the pipes from freezing. Is the new green lightbulb going to help me
to keep pipes from freezing?

Yes, NEO is back. I've been doing outside stuff and riding my bike.
I'm moving my act back inside for the cooler WX so you lucky turds
will see more of me.

The AM DX has been fairly good over the past few evenings here in
Rochester, NY.

I am very happy to report that my employer has recently gotten some
large orders for military radios and we have been able to hire an
additional few hundred factory workers. I work for Harris and we
produce the world's best communication gear.

I hope that the economy is getting back on track and everybody goes
back to work.

I think Al Gore should charter a shuttle flight to the sun and take
Obama with him. Then they can see for themselves where global warming
is coming from.

Good to be back
Bob
N9NEO
Just say NEO!
Old October 29th 09, 10:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Oct 28, 8:03*pm, N9NEO wrote:
On Oct 28, 9:06*pm, "Olson" wrote: I use these things in my ceiling fans(3 per fan) only because they give the
equivalent of 100 watts of light in each 60 watt fixture.

Yada, yada, yada.

Every time I go to the Home Depot I buy two package of the
incandescent bulbs. *I think I have about 200 of em now. *Probably
more than I'll need for the rest of my life.

-*I figure that when Obama gets around to
- outlawing them I'll sell em each for a buck.

-if- All Incandescent Light Bulbs are Outlawed {Illegal}
Then Owning Them; Using Them; and Selling Them
Will Be A Federal Crime Punishable by a Big Fine
{Revenue Enhancement}

The Obama-Stazi© will be peeping in your windows
at night to see what kind of Lights you are Burning.

Just Say NO To Incandescent Light Bulbs
-and- Yes To Prez Obama

let prez obama light-up your life with hope
and change - i have seen the light ~ RHF
Old October 29th 09, 12:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Olson wrote:
I use these things in my ceiling fans(3 per fan) only because they give the
equivalent of 100 watts of light in each 60 watt fixture.
The do make a hell of a buzzing noise! Some worse than others of the same
brand. Sure smell when the burn out too.
Anyway what I found was that if I wrap the glass shades on the fan with
aluminum foil (still allows good heat transfer) and ground it to the fan
case.... Voila! The buzzing stops.
Those suckers sure do radiate. I only loose a minimal of light doing this.
Maybe they should come with some kind of screening device/mesh packed in the
package. I really don't think I need the radiation especially from three of
the suckers directly over my head.

I don't believe you. The consensus in the ham community is that, as a
rule, the CFLs are not noisy. There ARE some that DO make noise, but
they are an aberration. That's why we buy things where we can return
them if we don't like them.

http://forums.qrz.com/archive/index.php/t-138234.html

Need GE #49 lamps K3HVG Boatanchors 1 January 17th 05 11:28 PM
WTB: HP/Agilent 346A (or B) Noise Source for HP 8970A Noise Figure Meter Carl R. Stevenson Homebrew 0 January 21st 04 04:20 AM
Lamps? Bob Homebrew 186 September 26th 03 05:26 AM
Lamps? Bob Swap 90 September 26th 03 05:26 AM
Lamps? Bob Homebrew 0 August 26th 03 10:37 PM