Old November 20th 09, 02:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default A new application of "Echolink logic"

I was thinking about Echolink recently and it’s inspired me to make
the following proposal for next year’s New York City marathon.

Beginning next year, so long as participants in the marathon either
begin and/or end the race on foot, it’s okay for them to ride in cars,
buses, etc. the rest of the time.

I see the following merits in my proposal:

1. It will allow those who are too ill or weak to participant to be
included in the event as active participants.

2. A lot of people are interested in BOTH running AND cars. My
proposal will give these folks a perfectly natural way to combine
these interests.

3. By allowing participants to ride in cars and other vehicles for the
majority of the race, the event will be completed in far less time. It
will also result in less physical stress on participants, which will
make the event both safer and more comfortable.

It’s also worth noting, just as an aside, that the marathon scene in
many communities is completely dead at present. I believe that, if we
go on to allow vehicles in all marathons, this will result more
marathons in more communities!