RadioBanter

-   -   Shortwave for cars? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/148126-shortwave-cars.html)

Krypsis[_2_] November 30th 09 01:03 PM

Shortwave for cars?

wrote:
Ford Falcon, Good cars.Back in the 1970s, one of the vehicles I owned

Had a 62 6 cylinder (170 CI) auto sedan that I bought new. Grey with a
white roof, had hardly any miles on it when I sold it in 73. It was a
fuel hog! A bit more go than the basic model that had a 144 CI engine
though. Comfortable to drive and never gave me trouble in the 11 years I
had it.
Wouldn't mind a 66 2 door hardtop right now. They are fetching serious
money these days.

Krypsis

was a 1962 Ford Falcon 4 door car.It had a 6 cylinder engine and manual
shift transmission.I traded it to my old buddy for his 1950 Ford car,
six cylinder engine, manual shift transmission with overdrive.He had
bought the 1950 Ford car for a second car when he and I went to Hinds
Community College on the G.I.Bill, Winter time of 1972 - 1973.
cuhulin

D. Peter Maus November 30th 09 01:04 PM

Shortwave for cars

On 11/30/09 03:06 , Bill Baka wrote:
wrote:
I like the 1957 Fords, I once owned a 1957 Ford Thunderbird.

1957 saw Ford make some mistakes, for sure. The Skyliner was a bomb at
the dealers due to the 30 + motors involved. I liked the styling and the
1957 T-bird, the last before it got bloated.
I traded a
1968 Ford Mustang for the Thunderbird in Lawrenceville,Georgia.I have
owned a 1964 Ford Mustang car before, also a 1931 Ford four door Model A
car I bought from a guy in Liberal,Kansas back in the 1970s.I have owned
a 1939 Ford fastback car and a 1948 Chevrolet pickup truck too.I traded
that pickup truck to an old buddy for some collectible folding money and
some collectible silver coins.I still have that money here, in my box at
the bank.I have owned a lot of vehicles over the past years.
cuhulin

I have you beat by about 4 or 5 times as many cars over the years.
My favorite for quiet running was a 1948 Studebaker at 65 in overdrive.
Flat head again so no notice able engine noise.
I miss Detroit iron.

Bill Baka

Um...that '48 would be South Bend Steel.

Or Los Angeles.

Krypsis[_2_] November 30th 09 01:34 PM

Shortwave for cars?

Bill Baka wrote:
Krypsis wrote:

snip

His shares have a long term history of stability and regular dividends
which was his goal, income, not growth.

Can't be an American company then.

All Aussie shares, not a foreigner amongst them.

snip

Same here except my dad drank and smoked himself into a stroke at 83.

83 is still a reasonable innings if he had reasonable health up until
then. I'd be happy with that as long as I was in good health and able to
do all that I wanted to do without limitations.

His wife or kids might just try to auction off the cars.

He didn't have any kids and his wife is at a loss right now just what
to do. Money isn't a problem for her in the short and long term as
share dividends will see to that. More of an issue is her remote
location and inability to drive a car. Her home is in the hills
outside the urban limits with limited public transport options.

She can't drive? What is up with that? Sounds like a 1920's kind of
problem.

More common here amongst older women than you would realise. Younger
generation women all seem to drive these days.

Anyway, the cars are all in bits. There was only one person who knew
how they all went together and he's gone. It would take weeks to just
find everything. In my brief visit to the workshop, I saw bits
scattered all over. Interestingly, he had been working on converting
the engine bearings to full pressure fed lubrication. He'd drilled the
crank and was in the process of building a larger oil pump to supply
the extra requirements. He even had a new sump and pan cast to provide
the extra room for the pump. He had been talking about doing this but
I hadn't realised he was as far along as he was. I did say his
restorations were "unconventional", didn't I?

In other words, you or I or any car nut would be in heaven just trying
to find parts to match to the cars. Found a manifold, must be for that
one, radiator must go there, etc. Then the cars would get worked on as I
found the parts.
Damn, am I dreaming.

Nah, I'd only see their potential as a rod. But then, I prefer fifties
and sixties era cars. They were what I grew up with.

Nobody under 40 seems to give a crap about cars anymore.

Yep. I don't know what will happen to my garage full of rods when I
drop off the perch. None of my kids are mechanically inclined, the
grandkids are more interested in partying and hooning.

Damn. I wasn't even allowed to drive my first car (with a legal permit)
until I could convince my dad I could change a tire, diagnose a no spark
or bad fuel pump, and fill every last one of my fluids. Only then did I
get to go anywhere. My daughter, BTW, could care less about anything
mechanical, so I don't know who to give the car too. Maybe I'll be
buried in it like that rich woman was in her Ferrari. I have one
grandson who might want it, I hope.

Waste of a good car. Don't think I could ever do that! Might leave them
out of my will and let the family fight over them. That'll sort out who
really wants them.

Guess the great grandkids
are my only hope. Would hate to see the rods get sold off. Don't want
to risk using them, don't want to risk losing them. What a conundrum!

I have that too. I am still looking for a 1962 to 1964 Ford Falcon to
mileage up.

You could've bought mine from me ... in 73

He will be missed whether I knew him or not.

Bill Baka

Sure will be missed around here. Used to have long phone calls about
his projects. Sometimes an hour, sometimes 2 but always interesting.
Miss them already.

Krypsis

I guess I'm getting to where friends will start going. Lost 3 in three
years.
Sigh
Bill Baka

When I was in my teens and twenties, a lot of my friends died in car
wrecks. Now I'm in my seventies my friends are all dying of more natural
causes. Most of my friends from the teen years are gone already as they
were ten and twenty years older than me then. I was the youngster of the
group. Guess I'm used to seeing friends depart this life. Trouble is, a
lot of the departures these days are friends younger than me!

Krypsis

[email protected] November 30th 09 04:10 PM

Shortwave for cars?

Detroit Iron, a moniker I like to use for all American Brand Names
Vehicles, American Manufactured Vehicles.Detroit Iron, can't be beat.

Superior School Buses (formerly, Pontiac Coach Company, something like
that anyway) are Manufactured in Kosciusko,Mississippi, since
1951.Detroit Iron.Best in the World.
cuhulin

Bill Baka December 1st 09 01:20 AM

Shortwave for cars

D. Peter Maus wrote:
On 11/30/09 03:06 , Bill Baka wrote:
I have you beat by about 4 or 5 times as many cars over the years.
My favorite for quiet running was a 1948 Studebaker at 65 in overdrive.
Flat head again so no notice able engine noise.
I miss Detroit iron.

Bill Baka

Um...that '48 would be South Bend Steel.

Or Los Angeles.

OK,
Close but no cigar.
The fun thing about the Studebaker and the 1961 Rambler was that a
friend was actually leaning on the Rambler and asked to hear it run.
He almost fell over when I said it was running. I replaced the generator
with an alternator, breaker-less ignition, and super quiet mufflers. The
Rambler was about as stripped down as I have ever seen an American car
and the Studebaker was an example of how good American cars could be.
Bill Baka

Bill Baka December 1st 09 01:45 AM

Shortwave for cars?

wrote:
Detroit Iron, a moniker I like to use for all American Brand Names
Vehicles, American Manufactured Vehicles.Detroit Iron, can't be beat.

Superior School Buses (formerly, Pontiac Coach Company, something like
that anyway) are Manufactured in Kosciusko,Mississippi, since
1951.Detroit Iron.Best in the World.
cuhulin

So maybe I should have just said "American iron". I miss Checker cabs
cars, since they were designed for New York taxi service and were as
bulletproof as any car made. I don't know why they stopped production
unless the cab companies started buying foreign.

Bill Baka

Bill Baka December 1st 09 02:01 AM

Shortwave for cars?

Krypsis wrote:
Bill Baka wrote:
Krypsis wrote:

snip

His shares have a long term history of stability and regular
dividends which was his goal, income, not growth.

Can't be an American company then.

All Aussie shares, not a foreigner amongst them.

snip

Same here except my dad drank and smoked himself into a stroke at 83.

83 is still a reasonable innings if he had reasonable health up until
then. I'd be happy with that as long as I was in good health and able to
do all that I wanted to do without limitations.

He was good until about 75 but I could not get him to stop smoking.

His wife or kids might just try to auction off the cars.

He didn't have any kids and his wife is at a loss right now just what
to do. Money isn't a problem for her in the short and long term as
share dividends will see to that. More of an issue is her remote
location and inability to drive a car. Her home is in the hills
outside the urban limits with limited public transport options.

She can't drive? What is up with that? Sounds like a 1920's kind of
problem.

More common here amongst older women than you would realise. Younger
generation women all seem to drive these days.

True. My aunt just died this year just short of 90 and never in all
those years got behind the wheel of a car. Why have one when the market
and most of your friends are only a block or two walk? My youngest
daughter is 30 and still can't drive a stick, a rapidly vanishing
ability among drivers.

[...]

Me too but I would happily be seen in a 1931 Dusenberg model SJ.

[...]

A friend of mine died about 20 years ago and the family totally self
destructed suing each other over a half acre and a useless, really old
house. They spent more on lawyer fees than the property was ever worth.
Yeah, leaving a will is definitely the way to go.

Guess the great grandkids
are my only hope. Would hate to see the rods get sold off. Don't want
to risk using them, don't want to risk losing them. What a conundrum!

I have that too. I am still looking for a 1962 to 1964 Ford Falcon to
mileage up.

You could've bought mine from me ... in 73

Dang.

He will be missed whether I knew him or not.

Bill Baka

Sure will be missed around here. Used to have long phone calls about
his projects. Sometimes an hour, sometimes 2 but always interesting.
Miss them already.

Krypsis

I guess I'm getting to where friends will start going. Lost 3 in three
years.
Sigh
Bill Baka

When I was in my teens and twenties, a lot of my friends died in car
wrecks.

Same here, cars, motorcycles, and drug overdoses. (1970's).
Now it's the years of smoking catching up to them. All of the new dead
friends smoked and/or drank.

Now I'm in my seventies my friends are all dying of more natural
causes. Most of my friends from the teen years are gone already as they
were ten and twenty years older than me then. I was the youngster of the
group. Guess I'm used to seeing friends depart this life. Trouble is, a
lot of the departures these days are friends younger than me!

I have had that too. Even John Ritter was a few months younger than me.

Krypsis

Jagger may have been right. Getting old is a drag.

Bill Baka

Feel free to snip as this is getting long.

D. Peter Maus December 1st 09 04:38 AM

Shortwave for cars

On 11/30/09 19:20 , Bill Baka wrote:
D. Peter Maus wrote:
[...]

I've had three, myself. No argument there.

[email protected] December 1st 09 05:20 AM

Shortwave for cars

Suzuki begins construction of E-CO car plant in Thailand.
www.wardsauto.com

Do you solo Suzuki?

Yawnnnnn,,,, move over doggy, wayyyyy past my bedtime.
///don't forget to set that garbage can out front for the garbage truck
in the morning!///

You wants a cookie?
///WOO WOO WOOF!///
cuhulin

[...]