RadioBanter

-   -   Shortwave for cars? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/148126-shortwave-cars.html)

D. Peter Maus November 24th 09 09:31 PM

Shortwave for cars?

On 11/24/09 15:20 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/24/09 15:09 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/24/09 13:18 , Krypsis wrote:

Indeed. I had a g/f years ago, with an X1/9. She couldn't keep it
running for love or money. I spent a weekend going through that drive
train and rebuilt everything I could put my hands on.

Fired it up and took it out for some break-in driving.

VERY serious fun. Not too unlike that 914/6 I was driving at the time.

I wouldn't mind owning one, myself, today.

Almost bought one when I bought the 3P. Kids were getting too big by
then so wasn't much use to the little woman as a shopping trolley. The
X19 really is a 2 seater, definitely not a 2 + 2

Krypsis

Then the practical solution would be to let the wife take the
station wagon, and you take the X1/9.

When I was married, we had three cars. A 4 seater sedan, her MG
and my MG.

After I got divorced I had 7 cars. Lots of choices. Too much fun.

And a whole lot less maintenance.

I'm no longer limber enough to shoe-horn myself into a X1/9.

That's a shame. How's that back doing, btw?

Not good.

Gee, Steve, I'm sorry to hear that. Having broken mine, myself, I
understand how miserable that can be.

[email protected] November 24th 09 10:01 PM

Shortwave for cars?

I have lost so much weight (because I am still on my diet) I can now
easily fit behind the steering wheel (with room to spare) of my 1948
Willys Jeep.Those two front seats do not slide back.

www.devilfinder.com
Tom McCahill Test the Jeep
cuhulin

D. Peter Maus November 24th 09 10:10 PM

Shortwave for cars?

On 11/24/09 15:28 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/24/09 15:20 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/24/09 15:09 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I think most of my current problem may just be due to the weather. Kinda
damp it seems, and I'm sure that you as well as I will be getting some rain soon,
at least according to the radar picture.

Been raining here since morning.

[email protected] November 25th 09 12:28 AM

Shortwave for cars?

Rolls Royce likes to claim they were the first with a V8 engine, in
1905.
Not so! Antoinette was the first in 1902.The engines were used in
Speedboats.
cuhulin

Bill Baka November 25th 09 12:50 AM

Shortwave for cars?

RHF wrote:
On Nov 23, 3:46 pm, Bill Baka wrote:
- I saw the CD slot and conclude that it is consumer fluff. I may be
- looking for something that doesn't exist, like a dedicated DX'ers
type
- radio without surround sound, Dolby, or any bling garbage.
-
- Bill Baka

Then take a look at the Drake SW8 Receiver
http://www.universal-radio.com/used/sold082.html
.

I'm tending to that direction now since Drake has always been a good
brand, pricey, but good.
Bill Baka

Bill Baka November 25th 09 01:03 AM

Shortwave for cars?

Gregg wrote:
On Nov 23, 4:13 pm, Bill Baka wrote:
Just so you know, this is going (eventually) into my 1966 Chrysler
stealth hot rod and I am doing the engine right now so it will be a
while. After 250,000 miles I finally need to bore the block of my trusty
old 440 police engine. I bought the car in 1985 and can't bear to part
with it. It's a tank, but a trusty and fast tank.

Bill Baka- Hide quoted text -

That's sweet. Even better then. Are you planning on keeping a radio in
there for the 60's
era?

I need to find an original radio just for stock status since the
previous owner took it out for an 8 track combo or something. Right now
I have an AM radio from a 1973 Dart pulling that duty. Anything I put in
the car beyond a stock radio will be on a quick release so it can come
in with me at night.
Cheers,
Bill Baka

Bill Baka November 25th 09 01:09 AM

Shortwave for cars?

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Bill Baka wrote:
dave wrote:
http://www.shortwavestore.com/sws/mf...er-pr-506.html

This site just got bookmarked.
That one URL just made this thread worth the bother for me.

You could just go to the MFJ web site. There you will find the converter,
a download link for the manual and a place to send them a message asking
them any question you want. You can also call them.

Geoff.

I have seen converters like that and the absolute best feed into a CB
radio for a 27MHz first I.F. stage. The CB has all the sharp bandwidth,
noise blanking and other things to make a good setup. Problem is I can't
remember if they were a home build project or not. Since CB is dormant
except among truckers it may be a bit of a specialty trick to find stuff.
Thanks,
Bill Baka

Geoffrey S. Mendelson November 25th 09 06:29 AM

Shortwave for cars?

Bill Baka wrote:

Then take a look at the Drake SW8 Receiver
http://www.universal-radio.com/used/sold082.html
.

I'm tending to that direction now since Drake has always been a good
brand, pricey, but good.

The SW8 is the wrong shape, IMHO for a car radio. It will be fine to sit in
on the seat next to you, or to keep in the the trunk or back seat until you
stop, but that opens up a whole lot of other receivers of similar shape and
size, and smaller portables (Sony ICF-2010, SW-77, etc).

AFAIK the last good shortwave radio designed for mobile use was the Kenwood
R5000, it has the same shape, and ergonomics of their series of mobile/base
rigs, eg. the TS-120,180,130,430,440,450 with the performance of 430 on up.

My recently aquired Drake SPR-4 runs quite nicely on 12 volts, and while it
has the worst ergonomics of any radio every made, (you have to set two
different switches to set the band, then tune it in two places),
it has the best sound of any radio I've ever owned, no synthesier noise, etc.

Another similar rig would be the Grundig Satellite 650, which has a similar
design and sound, with much more automation, so it's easier to use.

It seems that with the advent of general coverage receivers in moble HF ham
rigs, separate receivers faded away. Except for a car radios designed for
broadcast reception only (limited bands, AM only), the last one was designed
in the late 1980's.

Geoff.

dave November 25th 09 12:57 PM

Shortwave for cars?

Krypsis wrote:
wrote:
Rolls Royce likes to claim they were the first with a V8 engine, in
1905.
Not so! Antoinette was the first in 1902.The engines were used in
Speedboats.
cuhulin

And a lovely lady she was too!

Krypsis

Didn't Rolls still use flathead motors in the '60s?

[email protected] November 25th 09 03:25 PM

Shortwave for cars?

Side valve/flathead engines for cars went out of favor in the 1950s.You
can buy an old Rolls Royce/Bentley car in UK for about 5,000 British
pounds money.It will cost that much money, or more, each year just to
keep the thing going.
Ask the Brits about that if you don't believe me.

I need to yank the circuit breakers and get back to working in my
attic.I need to remove a couple of junction boxes in my attic so I can
put down some plywood in those areas.
cuhulin