Old November 22nd 09, 05:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default PING: D. Peter Maus

I became aware a few weeks ago that Garry Meier was now on WGN 720 Chicago. So
far only gave a brief listen. Ya heard him there?

Old November 22nd 09, 05:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/22/09 11:07 , dxAce wrote:
I became aware a few weeks ago that Garry Meier was now on WGN 720 Chicago. So
far only gave a brief listen. Ya heard him there?

Yeah, he started on WGN earlier this year. He's not half bad. And
without a sidekick, he acquits himself pretty well. Not as hilarious
as he was with Roe Conn, but I think the time at WLS allowed him to
free himself of the habits and limitations he developed with Steve
Dahl, and eventually to develop his own on-air persona.

His ratings aren't as good as Spike O'Dell's in that same time
slot, and a lot of the feeling of WGN has changed, but he sounds
like he's having fun.

Yeah, it seems like WGN has indeed changed. For the better, as little as I've really
listened, and I'll have to do some more.

Old November 22nd 09, 05:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 11/22/09 11:24 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/22/09 11:07 , dxAce wrote:
I became aware a few weeks ago that Garry Meier was now on WGN 720 Chicago. So
far only gave a brief listen. Ya heard him there?

Yeah, he started on WGN earlier this year. He's not half bad. And
without a sidekick, he acquits himself pretty well. Not as hilarious
as he was with Roe Conn, but I think the time at WLS allowed him to
free himself of the habits and limitations he developed with Steve
Dahl, and eventually to develop his own on-air persona.

His ratings aren't as good as Spike O'Dell's in that same time
slot, and a lot of the feeling of WGN has changed, but he sounds
like he's having fun.

Yeah, it seems like WGN has indeed changed. For the better, as little as I've really
listened, and I'll have to do some more.

Well, they've got this goof, Greg Jarrett, in morning drive. And
he's got no personality. Hold him up to a beige wall and he
disappears. No sense of humor that I've detected. And he REALLY
doesn't get Chicago. If he lasts his first contract, I'll be
surprised. If he does make it, he may go the distance.

They've moved around most of the rest of their talent, brought in
Garry Meier and hired Jerry Agar for swing and weekends.

It's definitely not Uncle Bobby's WGN.

Old November 22nd 09, 05:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/22/09 11:24 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/22/09 11:07 , dxAce wrote:
[...]

Agar is good and I've heard him on WGN, was also on WLS as I sure you know.

Old November 22nd 09, 05:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 11/22/09 11:44 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/22/09 11:24 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/22/09 11:07 , dxAce wrote:
[...]

Yeah, he got bumped out by Mancow. Agar was the one that replaced
Eileen Byrne when she got thrown under the bus. He IS good. And,
being a Canadian immigrant, now a US citizen, he's got a very good
perspective on the entire health care agenda.

From first hand experience.