Old December 20th 09, 06:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Question about AM and critical hours, does snow count?

On Dec 19, 4:46*pm, "Brenda Ann"
wrote:
"dave" wrote in message

.. .

wrote:
I think snow doesn't have any effect on AM transmitting.Too much ice
buildup though can, and sometimes does pull down towers and wires.
cuhulin

Doesn't affect actual transmission from the tower site, but it sure affects
groundwave coverage. During a snowstorm back in about 1995, I could listen,
on my pocket transistor radio, to 620 KGW, 1080 KWJJ and 1190 KEX from
Portland, OR from my home in Lewiston, ID (about 370 miles). This was in the
late morning hours, BTW. *No skip. *The storm was extant the entire
distance.

OK, then it does or can aid into your DXing.

I never really knew if the snow itself did, I always had the belief it
did in some
ways, if for anything else but to allow a more distant signal to be
heard more
clearly for lack of any static or hiss. That's the way it was last
night when I copied
the station in Long Island, it was as clear as hearing something here
local, not the signal
strength itself but understanding what I was hearing.