RadioBanter

-   -   ICOM R75 vs Yaesu VR-5000 (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/148835-icom-r75-vs-yaesu-vr-5000-a.html)

SC Dxing December 25th 09 07:56 PM

ICOM R75 vs Yaesu VR-5000

Not sure which one to get. Anyone have any hands on experience with
either of these units, especially the Yaesu VR-5000?

Looks like I am going to be able to get one of them soon.

Or should I just save money and get something like a Grundig 750 or
Eton E1 ?

BDK[_6_] December 26th 09 12:46 AM

ICOM R75 vs Yaesu VR-5000

In article ea591c81-445d-4b87-a60e-3b243ad33852
@a32g2000yqm.googlegroups.com, says...
Not sure which one to get. Anyone have any hands on experience with
either of these units, especially the Yaesu VR-5000?

Looks like I am going to be able to get one of them soon.

Or should I just save money and get something like a Grundig 750 or
Eton E1 ?

It's really hard to beat the R75 for the money. I don't know much about
the the Yaesu, but what I have heard isn't good. The Grundig and Eton
radios aren't anything close to the Icom at all.
--

BDK..
Leader of the nonexistent paid shills.

SC Dxing December 26th 09 01:40 AM

ICOM R75 vs Yaesu VR-5000

Thanks BDK, I know the ICOM R-75 is pretty much the standard these
days for tabletops. One more question, do you use any computer
programming software for the R-75? I know I can "google" these
questions but I rather hear directly from those in here who use the
products or know about them.

BDK[_6_] December 26th 09 03:38 AM

ICOM R75 vs Yaesu VR-5000

In article 9c02d232-5e12-4a3a-8314-
, says...
Thanks BDK, I know the ICOM R-75 is pretty much the standard these
days for tabletops. One more question, do you use any computer
programming software for the R-75? I know I can "google" these
questions but I rather hear directly from those in here who use the
products or know about them.

I don't personally have an R75, but friends have had them. I don't think
they used any software with them when they had them.

I have, at the present time, a JRC NRD-515, an NRD-525, A Kenwood TS-
850SAT, an Allied SX-190, and a Hammarlund HQ-100. Those all work, and I
have a couple of dead Icom R71A's that will almost surely come back to
life soon. It's almost always something simple when they just wont turn
on. Last one was a cracked solder joint. It took longer to put it back
together than it took to fix it. Sold it for a nice profit afterwards.

user[_3_] December 26th 09 08:17 AM

ICOM R75 vs Yaesu VR-5000

SC Dxing wrote:

Thanks BDK, I know the ICOM R-75 is pretty much the standard these
days for tabletops. One more question, do you use any computer
programming software for the R-75? I know I can "google" these
questions but I rather hear directly from those in here who use the
products or know about them.

some of these softs work with the r75
http://packages.debian.org/stable/hamradio/

http://shortwave.tk
700+ Radio Stations on SW http://swstations.tk
300+ languages on SW http://radiolanguages.tk

KE5LDO December 28th 09 12:21 AM

[R75 hands down. Had the Eton, IMHO, a piece of Garbage.
Exchanged for Icom r75. Comparing a pinto (Eton) to Mercedes (R75). I use it as the receiver for my ham radio. Hope this helps. KE5LDO

jbm32 December 28th 09 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Dxing (Post 696598)
Not sure which one to get. Anyone have any hands on experience with
either of these units, especially the Yaesu VR-5000?

Looks like I am going to be able to get one of them soon.

Or should I just save money and get something like a Grundig 750 or
Eton E1 ?

As I just told another post looking for a radio, you might want to check out the Palstar R30A. http://www.palstar.com/r30.php

It looks really good to me. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of other radios, but check out the specs and reviews. I think this is the one I'm going for.

-Jim

D. Peter Maus December 28th 09 04:57 PM

ICOM R75 vs Yaesu VR-5000

On 12/27/09 18:21 , KE5LDO wrote:
[R75 hands down. Had the Eton, IMHO, a piece of Garbage.
Exchanged for Icom r75. Comparing a pinto (Eton) to Mercedes (R75).
I use it as the receiver for my ham radio. Hope this helps. KE5LDO

Actually, R75 would be more like a Camry.

A Cadillac Escalade would be a Drake R8B.

A Lexus would be a JRC.

A Mercedes would be the Rohde and Schwartz.

And the Eton?

That would be a Renault 18i.

dave December 28th 09 06:58 PM

ICOM R75 vs Yaesu VR-5000

D. Peter Maus wrote:
On 12/27/09 18:21 , KE5LDO wrote:
[R75 hands down. Had the Eton, IMHO, a piece of Garbage.
Exchanged for Icom r75. Comparing a pinto (Eton) to Mercedes (R75).
I use it as the receiver for my ham radio. Hope this helps. KE5LDO

Actually, R75 would be more like a Camry.

A Cadillac Escalade would be a Drake R8B.

A Lexus would be a JRC.

A Mercedes would be the Rohde and Schwartz.

And the Eton?

That would be a Renault 18i.

No "t" in Rohde and Schwarz