Old December 25th 09, 07:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default ICOM R75 vs Yaesu VR-5000

Not sure which one to get. Anyone have any hands on experience with
either of these units, especially the Yaesu VR-5000?

Looks like I am going to be able to get one of them soon.

Or should I just save money and get something like a Grundig 750 or
Eton E1 ?
Old December 26th 09, 01:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Thanks BDK, I know the ICOM R-75 is pretty much the standard these
days for tabletops. One more question, do you use any computer
programming software for the R-75? I know I can "google" these
questions but I rather hear directly from those in here who use the
products or know about them.
Old December 26th 09, 08:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

SC Dxing wrote:

Thanks BDK, I know the ICOM R-75 is pretty much the standard these
days for tabletops. One more question, do you use any computer
programming software for the R-75? I know I can "google" these
questions but I rather hear directly from those in here who use the
products or know about them.

some of these softs work with the r75
http://packages.debian.org/stable/hamradio/

http://shortwave.tk
700+ Radio Stations on SW http://swstations.tk
300+ languages on SW http://radiolanguages.tk

Old December 28th 09, 12:21 AM
Junior Member

Location: East Texas
Thumbs up

[R75 hands down. Had the Eton, IMHO, a piece of Garbage.
Exchanged for Icom r75. Comparing a pinto (Eton) to Mercedes (R75). I use it as the receiver for my ham radio. Hope this helps. KE5LDO
__________________
Extra Class
Volunteer Examiner
ARRL Instructor
Old December 28th 09, 04:22 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Dxing View Post
Not sure which one to get. Anyone have any hands on experience with
either of these units, especially the Yaesu VR-5000?

Looks like I am going to be able to get one of them soon.

Or should I just save money and get something like a Grundig 750 or
Eton E1 ?
As I just told another post looking for a radio, you might want to check out the Palstar R30A. http://www.palstar.com/r30.php

It looks really good to me. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of other radios, but check out the specs and reviews. I think this is the one I'm going for.

-Jim
Old December 28th 09, 04:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 12/27/09 18:21 , KE5LDO wrote:
[R75 hands down. Had the Eton, IMHO, a piece of Garbage.
Exchanged for Icom r75. Comparing a pinto (Eton) to Mercedes (R75).
I use it as the receiver for my ham radio. Hope this helps. KE5LDO

Actually, R75 would be more like a Camry.

A Cadillac Escalade would be a Drake R8B.

A Lexus would be a JRC.

A Mercedes would be the Rohde and Schwartz.

And the Eton?

That would be a Renault 18i.

Old December 28th 09, 06:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

D. Peter Maus wrote:
On 12/27/09 18:21 , KE5LDO wrote:
[R75 hands down. Had the Eton, IMHO, a piece of Garbage.
Exchanged for Icom r75. Comparing a pinto (Eton) to Mercedes (R75).
I use it as the receiver for my ham radio. Hope this helps. KE5LDO

Actually, R75 would be more like a Camry.

A Cadillac Escalade would be a Drake R8B.

A Lexus would be a JRC.

A Mercedes would be the Rohde and Schwartz.

And the Eton?

That would be a Renault 18i.

No "t" in Rohde and Schwarz

FS: Yaesu VR-5000 Jerry Franks Swap 0 November 18th 08 02:19 PM
Yaesu VR-5000 ? Jim Hackett Shortwave 3 January 2nd 06 10:37 PM
Yaesu VR-5000 ? gbm Shortwave 0 January 2nd 06 02:30 PM
Yaesu VR 5000 Mark S. Holden Shortwave 0 February 16th 05 05:20 PM
FS Yaesu VR-5000 w/DSP W. Charles Alexander Shortwave 0 August 17th 04 12:55 AM