Old January 4th 10, 05:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Major BMW HD Radio Problems - LOL!

"For those of you with HD Radios, for the last week or so, when the HD
signal kicks in, the output is very choppy. This is true for all
stations, AM or FM. Attached is an mp3 file which explains."

"this same problem just started today for me as well, anyone has any
thoughts what is happening? regular radio works fine, its just when i
switch on HD, it gets all choppy"

"Dealer could not fix. Submitted a PUMA case."

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6457376

Laughing... laughing... LMFAO!
Old January 4th 10, 06:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"HD Radio Farce" wrote in message
"For those of you with HD Radios, for the last week or so, when the HD
signal kicks in, the output is very choppy. This is true for all
stations, AM or FM. Attached is an mp3 file which explains."

"this same problem just started today for me as well, anyone has any
thoughts what is happening? regular radio works fine, its just when i
switch on HD, it gets all choppy"

"Dealer could not fix. Submitted a PUMA case."

Laughing... laughing... LMFAO!

What is "HD Radio"? Are they confusing it for DAB radio? If so I wouldn't
confuse DAB with higher quality FM stereo!
FM stereo transmissions sound far better than low bitrate DAB stations.
It sounds interesting if the radio picks up say RADIO1 and then hunts for
a local DAB multiplex providing the same station and switches over.
I would keep well away from DAB until the bitrate is higher and stations
such as talkSPORT are transmitted in stereo. A lot of music stations are
also mono, so how this can be "HD" with a low bitrate is anyones guess.
At the moment there is no such thing as "HD Radio" in the UK, only AM/
FM(stereo) and DAB. Anything else and it has been incorrectly sold.
The problem is with the aerial base fitted to the BMW. It has a preamp
and bandpass filters for 510-1610KHz, 88-108MHz only. So DAB
which fits in around 170-220MHz is filtered out and the signal reduced.
This is why the signal is a fraction of what it should be and why the radio
station goes in and out! Nothing to do with the radio, just the incorrect
aerial base, preamp and filtering. Easy mistake for BMW to make.
There is currently no such thing as HD Radio in the UK! If you compared
FM stereo and a low bitrate mono DAB automated music station with
adverts, then people would pick FM stereo every time - for the superior
quality, dynamic range and stereo seperation.
DAB is only as good as a strong MW station.

Old January 5th 10, 06:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
IanT wrote:

What is "HD Radio"? Are they confusing it for DAB radio? If so I wouldn't
confuse DAB with higher quality FM stereo!

HD Radio is the set of digital audio broadcast systems that they stuck
us with here in the US. Also know as IBOC (In Band On Channel).
(A seperate but related system for both Medium Wave and (3 meter band) FM).

A couple of things are different from the Eureka[some number] system
used in Europe (and I think Canada). The digital signal is in the
same band as the analog audio, broadcast as an extra set of sidebands.
It would cause gawdawful inteference in the Medium Wave band at night,
if they're still stupid enough to run it. A lot of stations quit,
because it was a circular firing squad situation.

And, the way the broadcast industry is structured, each station has
its own transmitter, and uses that for competitive advantage. (Which
is why DAB with its shared multiplex transmitters wasn't considered.
It put the little guys on an equal footing with the big ones, signalwise).

So in addition to whatever ails DAB, we get even more expensive receivers
with unreliable reception and no real improvement in signal quality.
For an industry whose programming is not worth listening to in the first
place.

Mark Zenier

Old January 6th 10, 06:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

So in addition to whatever ails DAB, we get even more expensive receivers
with unreliable reception and no real improvement in signal quality.
For an industry whose programming is not worth listening to in the first
place.

Wow! Such a cheery outlook!

The receivers are not expensive anymore.

Reception is going to get better with the power increases.

And programming will expand to more varienty with more HD2 & 3 channels.

Mark Zenier

Comparing the Icom IC-R75 to the Eton E1 Radio - Three Major Problems . . . RHF Shortwave 13 November 6th 05 02:07 PM
Comparing the Icom IC-R75 to the Eton E1 Radio - Three Major... [email protected] Shortwave 0 November 5th 05 10:49 PM
Cb Radio problems T.B. Parks CB 104 May 3rd 05 01:52 PM
Radio Cairo say major budget cuts looming Mike Terry Shortwave 0 October 21st 04 06:16 PM
Need help: Radio in Car .. couple of problems D. General 9 April 3rd 04 12:38 PM