Old January 16th 10, 04:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default AM 3 Mhz ?

a écrit dans le message de news:
On Jan 15, 4:13 pm, "François Guillet"
It is not DSB AM or SSB+carrier. It is real AM with the two side bands.
Some
stations have a frequency shifted by the modulation. It looks like old TX
with VFO pilot (not synthetized). QSB is probably the cause of carrier
fading and modulation distorsion.

Some other samples but not good, band is very noisy, transmissions are
not very long (1mn max), with long pauses so it is difficult to monitor
them:
http://exvacuo.free.fr/div/Radio/Arc...les/Divers/AM%
20Ru...http://exvacuo.free.fr/div/Radio/Arc...les/Divers/AM%
20Ru...http://exvacuo.free.fr/div/Radio/Arc...Divers/AM%20Ru...

| If this was back 20+ years ago, I would say it could be
| some sort of high seas radiotelephone transmissions. Only one side of
| the conversation is heard in general. But, majority of them,
| (practically all) were in USB as a rule. The other party has almost
| always used another frequency. None of the offical radiotelephone
| transmissions were so brief. None of the official operators spoke with
| such a hurry. The s/n ratio is very poor. Power levels seem to be very
| low and transmitters don't sound stable enough for reliable
| communication .

Yes it sounds like transmissions in the 60's. Nevertheless I don't think
they come from break in space-time :-)
My location is possibly at 4000-8000 kms from these stations. This explains
the weak signals.
Signals from russian ham stations are not much stronger here on 80 mtrs (but
SBB modulation is much better and also 3.6 Mhz is less noisy).

| If it is not maritime traffic, it may be something
| different. Bootleggers, pirates, or traffickers of some sort
| probably. May be we can use D/F them,or establish some pattern .What
| time of day or night do they pop- up?

I receive them weekdays and weekend every evening from around 17h-18h to 23h
UTC (not tried later, time to sleep). It is probably not their full period
of activity but the time at which the 3 Mhz band is open between France and
Russia.

Old January 17th 10, 06:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 16, 10:38*am, "François Guillet"
wrote:
a écrit dans le message de news:
On Jan 15, 4:13 pm, "François Guillet"

It is not DSB AM or SSB+carrier. It is real AM with the two side bands.
Some
stations have a frequency shifted by the modulation. It looks like old TX
with VFO pilot (not synthetized). QSB is probably the cause of carrier
fading and modulation distorsion.

Some other samples but not good, band is very noisy, transmissions are
not very long (1mn max), with long pauses so it is difficult to monitor
them:http://exvacuo.free.fr/div/Radio/Arc...les/Divers/AM%
20Ru...http://exvacuo.free.fr/div/Radio/Arc...les/Divers/AM%
20Ru...http://exvacuo.free.fr/div/Radio/Arc...Divers/AM%20Ru...

| * * * * * * * If this was back 20+ years ago, I would say it could be
| some sort of high seas radiotelephone transmissions. Only one side of
| the conversation is heard in general. But, majority of them,
| (practically all) were in USB as a rule. The other *party has almost
| always used another frequency. None of the offical radiotelephone
| transmissions were so brief. None of the official operators spoke with
| such a hurry. The s/n ratio is very poor. Power levels seem to be very
| low and transmitters don't sound stable enough *for reliable
| communication .

Yes it sounds like transmissions in the 60's. Nevertheless I don't think
they come from break in space-time :-)
My location is possibly at 4000-8000 kms from these stations. This explains
the weak signals.
Signals from russian ham stations are not much stronger here on 80 mtrs (but
SBB modulation is much better and also 3.6 Mhz is less noisy).

| If it is not maritime traffic, it may be something
| different. Bootleggers, pirates, or traffickers of some sort
| probably. *May be we can use D/F them,or establish some pattern .What
| time of day or night do they pop- up?

I receive them weekdays and weekend every evening from around 17h-18h to 23h
UTC (not tried later, time to sleep). It is probably not their full period
of activity but the time at which the 3 Mhz band is open between France and
Russia.

For some reason I still have doubts of using of 3MHz band as a
reliable long distance 2-way choice . Ex navy /merchant marine
personnel turned into pirates/smugglers, perhaps. Low budget = poor
radio equipment. Lots of fowl language. Cannot be official business,
as far as I am concerned. Their transmissions a way too short. 3 MHz
band has not been used by anyone in years (on a regular basis). It was
never stable even at night,and especially now, with such minimal
sunspot number. The operating frequencies seem to be floating, this is
not typical of any regular business I can think of. And they ALL
transmit only in AM? Big mystery.
Old January 18th 10, 10:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 17, 10:26*am, "François Guillet"
wrote:
a écrit dans le message de news:
| *Cannot be official business, as far as I am concerned.

I share the opinion but possibly semi-official like chats between offshore
fishers.

| Their transmissions a way too short. 3 MHz
| band has not been used by anyone in years (on a regular basis). It was
| never stable even at night,and especially now, with such minimal
| sunspot number. The operating frequencies seem to be floating, this is
| not typical of any regular business I can think of. *And they ALL
| transmit only in AM? Big mystery.

Some ideas:
isolated communities in small siberian towns, having only radio to
communicate?
trappers in the north, isolated in their shack?
Even though some official services in Russia get poor funds from government,
I can't believe they would be endowed today with AM TRX. It is an old
technology still in use only for broadcasting. It is unlikely that AM TRX
have been bought after the fall of USSR. And during USSR, it was not
possible to buy TRX so I presume that the today AM TRX have been provided in
the past by the soviet government and are still in use today, and that
theirs users would have not much money to replace them.

All of this is quite possible. But, why they do not have
'handles' (using the old CB lingo) or some sort of noms de guerre?
Fisherman ALWAYS identified themselves in the past,usually clearly
stating the name of the vessel. Isolated communities- may be,
considering such wildly fluctuating signals. Especially if propagation
is via the the polar region,perhaps. And once again, official radio
transmissions normally do not contain such dirty language ,other than
military(was quite common in the past). And those won't be in AM and
unencrypted .I just wonder if these brief trx's are audible by anyone
else,outside France?
Old January 20th 10, 12:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 19, 1:30*pm, "François Guillet"
wrote:
a écrit dans le message de news:
| Fisherman *ALWAYS identified themselves in the past,usually clearly
| stating the name of the vessel.

In Europe it is never the case when they chat with one another (at least for
Spanish, Dutch, English, French and others. They identified themselves only
when they call coast stations).

| Isolated communities- may be,
| considering such wildly fluctuating signals. Especially if propagation
| is via the the polar region,perhaps. *And once again, official radio
| transmissions normally do not contain such dirty language ,other than
| military(was quite common in the past).

I agree it is surely not official transmissions.
But it could be unofficial transmissions from official operators during
their leisure time.

| And those won't be in AM and
| unencrypted .I just wonder if these brief trx's are audible by anyone
| else,outside France?

I ask it on the French group fr.rec.radio. Two others received them but
nobody knew russian (and they were in France).
Then I came here but it seems there are not many Europeans. I thought that
rec.radio.shortwave was an international group in english, with no region
dedicated.

It does seem that majority of r.r.s. participants has mostly
N.Americans with a small segment of English speaking enthusiasts from
everywhere else. Is French language still used in Nice,Cote d'Azour ?
From what we hear it has been invaded by the russians in the last
several years . If more and slightly longer recordings are made,
eventually those mysterious "fishermen" will mention something to
disclose their location or purpose.
Old January 6th 15, 01:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I'm listening to them now, on 3.140 and various other frequencies in that region. I don't speak any Russian but they sound the same as the CB operators you hear from Russia on 27 mhz. I wonder if they're pirates using old ex-military gear? That would explain some of the unstable signals. It reminds me of the amateur radio signals you'd hear back in the soviet era, when the hams over there built their own "rough and ready" transmitters, mainly due to lack of access to fancy Japanese "black boxes".

On Wednesday, January 13, 2010 9:56:02 PM UTC, François Guillet wrote:
There are many stations working in AM in the band 3000-3210 Khz. The
carriers are not too stable. On some frequencies there are several stations
with simultaneous trafic, so I presume they are far from each other.
Language seems russian, not sure, and trafic is professionnal, rather
strange for AM transmissions.
Does someone knows what service it is?

Here is some audio samples received in France:
http://exvacuo.free.fr/div/Radio/Arc...%203071Khz.mp3
http://exvacuo.free.fr/div/Radio/Arc...%203174Khz.mp3

Old January 6th 15, 01:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Just found this: http://www.udxf.nl/voices%20from%20the%20tundra.pdf
Old June 18th 17, 01:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

i have a few vids of them up on youtube . i hear them at home in the north east uk and on my recent visit to cyprus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCFLl4ooxDU
Old June 18th 17, 01:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

http://www.udxf.nl/voices-from-the-tundra.pdf