Old January 25th 10, 11:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Shortwave and the Cold War

Since the Cold War in Europe lasted some 50 years, just how could
Shortwave Radio be considered valuable at that time? North Korea has
been Communist since 1945 and Shortwave Radio has changed nothing in
that situation so far. So, are we all being lead to believe that our
infomation broadcasts to N. Korea is going to change anything?

Old January 26th 10, 09:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 25, 6:40*pm, wrote:
Since the Cold War in Europe lasted some 50 years, just how could
Shortwave Radio be considered valuable at that time? *North Korea has
been Communist since 1945 and Shortwave Radio has changed nothing in
that situation so far. So, are we all being lead to believe that our
infomation broadcasts to N. Korea is going to change anything?

Such a tremendously complicated subject has been a basis for
numerous books. Hundreds of millions of common folks have relied upon
knowing WHAT was happening in their own countries. SWL behind Iron and
Bamboo curtains was (and still has) remained (for some misfortunates)
the only source of information. The once mighty USSR was not defeated
militarily or economically. On the contrary, it disintegrated from
within due to it's own population getting restless and tired of same
old government promises of bright future that never materialized. SW
listening for a long time WAS the only available means of REAL news
even under the most brutal dictatorships after 1945. Gorbachov himself
admitted,in an interview, that while being locked up in his summer
retreat compound in Foros (Crimea) that ALL his telephones went dead .
Including the strategic Red phone!!! Under such conditions his one
and only link with the outside world was a small Sony portable which
provided ALL the the news ( from August 18 2001 BBC interview)... Can
we say any more than that?
Old January 26th 10, 02:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Come, now. Do you really think the "Cold War" was anything more than
creating a "boogy man" to generate fear here (like is being done so much
more effectively today)?

Old January 28th 10, 01:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 25, 3:40*pm, wrote:
Since the Cold War in Europe lasted some 50 years, just how could
Shortwave Radio be considered valuable at that time? *North Korea has
been Communist since 1945 and Shortwave Radio has changed nothing in
that situation so far. So, are we all being lead to believe that our
infomation broadcasts to N. Korea is going to change anything?

I used to work with a Romanian that listened to the BBC when he was
living in that hell-hole. The guy knew his modern history quite well.
Without shortwave, you would have something like Checkov on Star Trek,
who believed the Soviet pravda.

There is a story, probably not on the internet due to how many years
ago it happened, where a BBC official got the special treatment from
Ceausescu. Apparent Ceausescu had a chair that would nuke the
occupant. I did a google search and can't find the story, but my
recollection is the BBC person got cancer after the "treatment."
Old January 28th 10, 09:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 27, 8:21*pm, " wrote:
On Jan 25, 3:40*pm, wrote:

[...]

And we always thought Vlad Drakul was inhuman... In some
instances old stalinists were extremely innovative. Anyone still
remembers the poison darts ( shot from a specially made umbrella )
which killed a bulgarian dissident in London ?

Old January 29th 10, 05:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 28, 5:49*am, Bob Dobbs wrote:
wrote:
Anyone still
remembers the poison darts ( shot from a specially made umbrella )
which killed a bulgarian dissident in London ?

I didn't think it was a dart as much as a pellet full of ricin.

--

Operator Bob
Echo Charlie 42

The book "Spycraft" goes into such killings.

Ceausescu and wife were executed. Too kind a death IMHO.
Old January 30th 10, 04:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 28, 7:46*am, dave wrote:
wrote:

reatment."

* * * And we always thought Vlad Drakul was inhuman... In some
instances old stalinists were extremely innovative. Anyone still
remembers the poison darts ( shot from a specially made umbrella )
which killed a bulgarian dissident in London ?

They weren't darts; they were round, like tiny BBs, with pores that held
a ricin based poison.

Oh yes, they were miniature BB's indeed. Poor fellow suffered
for a while before he expired. Ricin is an old trick. Polonium is the
new trend.

What will bring Shortwave broadcasting back from a post Cold War backwater ... PEAK OIL [email protected] Shortwave 0 December 15th 07 12:13 PM
What will bring Shortwave broadcasting back from a post Cold Warbackwater ... PEAK OIL NW7US Shortwave 2 December 15th 07 10:03 AM
Cold War II HD Radio¹ Shortwave 0 April 4th 07 08:21 PM
The Cold War is starting again download.com Shortwave 23 March 11th 07 06:01 AM
Walkiing in The Cold Diverd4777 Shortwave 7 January 9th 04 06:51 AM