RadioBanter

-   -   Ecuador - Time Signal (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/149813-ecuador-time-signal.html)

dxAce February 18th 10 10:04 AM

Ecuador - Time Signal

Checking 3810 at 1000 this morning I hear HD2IOA (Ecuador) time signal putting
in a fairly good signal with time pips every ten seconds.

They changed their format a while back.

I have yet to QSL (verie, for those in Glendale) this one.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

bpnjensen February 18th 10 03:43 PM

Ecuador - Time Signal

On Feb 18, 2:04*am, dxAce wrote:
Checking 3810 at 1000 this morning I hear HD2IOA (Ecuador) time signal putting
in a fairly good signal with time pips every ten seconds.

They changed their format a while back.

I have yet to QSL (verie, for those in Glendale) this one.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Nice! have not heard this one in awhile.

So, how does one write a reception report for a time station? I can
see where it would be easy for a WWV or WWVH, where lots of additional
changeable information is given on an hourly basis; but what about a
simple "time pip" station?

Along a similar vein, Bangkok Metereological Radio has been putting in
a decent signal every few days on its 8 MHz frequency.

Bruce Jensen

dxAce February 18th 10 10:12 PM

Ecuador - Time Signal

bpnjensen wrote:

On Feb 18, 2:04 am, dxAce wrote:
Checking 3810 at 1000 this morning I hear HD2IOA (Ecuador) time signal putting
in a fairly good signal with time pips every ten seconds.

They changed their format a while back.

I have yet to QSL (verie, for those in Glendale) this one.

Nice! have not heard this one in awhile.

So, how does one write a reception report for a time station?

ID info, etc.

I can
see where it would be easy for a WWV or WWVH, where lots of additional
changeable information is given on an hourly basis; but what about a
simple "time pip" station?

Not certain about HD2IOA. At one time they gave a pretty good ID. But now, I'm not
certain. I'll have to listen a bit more to the 'new' format.

Had pretty good luck with the time signal stations, and now have 27 I believe QSL'd
(veried, for those in Glendale).

Along a similar vein, Bangkok Metereological Radio has been putting in
a decent signal every few days on its 8 MHz frequency.

Yeah, at times they come in pretty well. I QSL'd (veried, for those in Glendale)
that one a few years back.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

bpnjensen March 2nd 10 05:59 AM

Ecuador - Time Signal

On Feb 18, 2:04*am, dxAce wrote:
Checking 3810 at 1000 this morning I hear HD2IOA (Ecuador) time signal putting
in a fairly good signal with time pips every ten seconds.

They changed their format a while back.

I have yet to QSL (verie, for those in Glendale) this one.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Basically a ditto on this, except clear and loud at 0550z March 2,
2010. Spanish language time stated by a male announcer *every ten
seconds*. Would be absolutely perfect copy, no fading at all and very
little noise, except for some silly hams in the U.S. co-channel
wondering "what the heck is that?" in the background and chuckling
about it. SINPO = 31453.

Signal is very strong tonight; I'd be curious what the xmtr power
is...

Bruce Jensen

bpnjensen March 2nd 10 06:05 AM

Ecuador - Time Signal

On Mar 1, 9:59*pm, bpnjensen wrote:
On Feb 18, 2:04*am, dxAce wrote:

Checking 3810 at 1000 this morning I hear HD2IOA (Ecuador) time signal putting
in a fairly good signal with time pips every ten seconds.

They changed their format a while back.

I have yet to QSL (verie, for those in Glendale) this one.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Basically a ditto on this, except clear and loud at 0550z March 2,
2010. *Spanish language time stated by a male announcer *every ten
seconds*. *Would be absolutely perfect copy, no fading at all and very
little noise, except for some silly hams in the U.S. co-channel
wondering "what the heck is that?" in the background and chuckling
about it. *SINPO = 31453.

Signal is very strong tonight; I'd be curious what the xmtr power
is...

Bruce Jensen

Addendum - based on what I hear, I would guess this station transmits
a carrier plus LSB; no USB is apparent from listening...neither voice
nor pips.