Old March 3rd 10, 01:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Is KGO solar powered?

The transmitter site has many photovoltaic panels.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&...0.003&t=h&z=17

Old March 3rd 10, 03:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 3, 5:05*am, dave wrote:
The transmitter site has many photovoltaic panels.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&...-122.101630013....

Sure does. It could be - but I am unsure whether panels of that size
can generate the necessary wattage. It is possible perhaps - you can
usually get up to a megawatt per acre with current technology. Unless
they have big storage batteries, it won't keep them on the air all
night, though.

Bruce
Old March 3rd 10, 05:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

There is a new kind of solar cells which has been recently invented, it
uses fiberglass, maybe it is plastic, ''strings/filaments''.It is much
more efficient and also much less costly than the older style of solar
cells/panels.I read about it somewhere on the web, a few weeks ago.
cuhulin

Old March 3rd 10, 05:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 3, 9:02*am, wrote:
There is a new kind of solar cells which has been recently invented, it
uses fiberglass, maybe it is plastic, ''strings/filaments''.It is much
more efficient and also much less costly than the older style of solar
cells/panels.I read about it somewhere on the web, a few weeks ago.
cuhulin

cuhulin, are you referring to the "thin film" technology? Looks like
big sheets of plastic with wires coming out the end? These certainly
hold some promise.
Old March 3rd 10, 06:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

bpnjensen wrote:
Sure does. It could be - but I am unsure whether panels of that size
can generate the necessary wattage. It is possible perhaps - you can
usually get up to a megawatt per acre with current technology. Unless
they have big storage batteries, it won't keep them on the air all
night, though.

It really does not matter. Since there are such large incentives to do it,
they can put in a solar array much smaller than needed to power the station
and still eliminate the cost of electricity.

A friend of mine did it in Pennsylvania, he got 1/3 of the array paid for
by the state as a grant, 1/3 by the US government as an income tax deduction,
and the rest will be paid for in 4-5 years by the Philadelphia Electric Company
if he lets them offset their coal fired production capability by "virtual
rental" of his.

This is without ever producing a single Watt of power. Anything his system
produces will offset his electric bill, and if he produces more than he
consumes, he gets paid for it at a higher rate than he pays to consume.

Here in Israel, there is a 5:1 bounty on locally produced power.

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.

Old March 3rd 10, 06:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel *N3OWJ/4X1GM

Old March 3rd 10, 08:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

http://www.devilfinder.com
New thin film solar cell technology

Where it says, IBM's New Thin Film Solar Cell is 40% More Efficient.

Actually, it might have been in one of my latest snail mail issues of
Popular Mechanics or Popular Science magazines where I first read about
it.
http://www.popularmechanics.com
http://www.popsci.com

There are some good articles in those magazines about new solar power
technology and also new solar cell electricity storage technology
too.Head on over to your local area libraries and read up.That will give
you something to do while you are resting.
cuhulin

Old March 5th 10, 01:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

bpnjensen wrote:
On Mar 3, 5:05 am, wrote:
The transmitter site has many photovoltaic panels.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&...-122.101630013...

Sure does. It could be - but I am unsure whether panels of that size
can generate the necessary wattage. It is possible perhaps - you can
usually get up to a megawatt per acre with current technology. Unless
they have big storage batteries, it won't keep them on the air all
night, though.

Bruce

They have a Nautel transmitter as I recall. It uses 55 KW at idle, 85
KW at 100% modulation, (not counting POS IBOC).