Old March 23rd 10, 01:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Steve Lare

D. Peter Maus wrote:
On 3/22/10 01:23 , m II wrote:

Mind you, I've found it ironic that someone with an alleged musical
background could go for years without a sound card in the computer.
Weird..

mike

Nothing weird about it. I'm in the audio business, and didn't have a
sound card in my computer, either.

I'm in the audio business, and I have sound from every source I can
find. Since wavetable synthesis came around in the mid '90s I've HAD to
have a good sound card.
Old March 23rd 10, 01:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 23, 8:22*am, Joe from Kokomo wrote:
On Mar 19, 8:10 am, "D. Peter Maus" wrote:
* *Just got an e-mail from Steve. He's definitely working on his
pain issue. But there's another wrinkle that's caused his silence:
His ISP dropped USENet. So, he's looking for alternates.

* *He's still kicking, and as usual, raising dust.

* *He'll be back, bright and shiney, as soon as he gets a new news
server configured.

Priest wrote:
A Google Groups account can be set up in 5 minutes so something
doesn't ring true. Whatever.

...and if he doesn't want google, an eternal-september free account also
takes about 5 minutes to set up, so...????

That is kind of what I was thinking. It's not even five minutes for
googlegroups...but even if he didn't want to do google - there are so
many free usenet servers out there - I've used two others , I still
have one in my favorites.
Old March 23rd 10, 01:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Priest wrote:

A Google Groups account can be set up in 5 minutes so something
doesn't ring true. Whatever.

...and if he doesn't want google, an eternal-september free account also
takes about 5 minutes to set up, so...????

* *I recommended Eternal-September, as well. Been on it for about a
year, myself, without issues.

* *So, he's got options. Google is less than a practical solution,
because of the graphics on the pages. As I recall, he's on a dial-up.

* *Then, again, he may be in no hurry, either. I took more than a
year off of USENet, myself.- Hide quoted text -

Well, if you speak to him again tell him Gregg said "Hey" and I hope
he's getting better. He's missed in RRS.
Old March 23rd 10, 03:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Priest wrote:

A Google Groups account can be set up in 5 minutes so something
doesn't ring true. Whatever.

...and if he doesn't want google, an eternal-september free account also
takes about 5 minutes to set up, so...????

* *I recommended Eternal-September, as well. Been on it for about a
year, myself, without issues.

* *So, he's got options. Google is less than a practical solution,
because of the graphics on the pages. As I recall, he's on a dial-up.

* *Then, again, he may be in no hurry, either. I took more than a
year off of USENet, myself.- Hide quoted text -

Graphics on pages? You mean like the frames they use? Other than
those, Google is not graphics-heavy, at least by 21-st century
standards.

Bruce
Old March 24th 10, 04:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 3/23/10 10:14 , bpnjensen wrote:

Graphics on pages? You mean like the frames they use? Other than
those, Google is not graphics-heavy, at least by 21-st century
standards.

Bruce

Nonetheless, the page load time on a dialup can be enough
motivate one to find an alternative.

Old March 24th 10, 08:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 24, 9:10*am, "D. Peter Maus" wrote:
On 3/23/10 10:14 , bpnjensen wrote:

Graphics on pages? *You mean like the frames they use? *Other than
those, Google is not graphics-heavy, at least by 21-st century
standards.

Bruce

* *Nonetheless, the page load time on a dialup can be enough
motivate one to find an alternative.

OK -
Well, that's true of 99% of websites today. Many of them load slowly
on high-speed, never mind dialup.

If I had to use dialup, I'd quit. Life's too short. I hope he finds
something acceptable.

BJ
Old March 24th 10, 08:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 3/24/10 15:03 , bpnjensen wrote:
On Mar 24, 9:10 am, "D. Peter wrote:
On 3/23/10 10:14 , bpnjensen wrote:

Graphics on pages? You mean like the frames they use? Other than
those, Google is not graphics-heavy, at least by 21-st century
standards.

Bruce

Nonetheless, the page load time on a dialup can be enough
motivate one to find an alternative.

OK -
Well, that's true of 99% of websites today. Many of them load slowly
on high-speed, never mind dialup.

If I had to use dialup, I'd quit. Life's too short. I hope he finds
something acceptable.

BJ

He'll find something that works for him.

Old March 24th 10, 08:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

WebTV can't down load anything, no hard drive.Maybe that is why most
websites (using WebTV) I click on pull up on my tv screen pretty dang
Quick, because it doesn't have a lot of crap to contend with.A lot
faster than a Lot of computers on dialup I have seen before, can't get
any viruses either.WebTV is strictly dial up.My Velocity Micro desk top
is mighty Fast.
http://www.velocitymicro.com

Those people at Velocity Micro in Good old Richmond,Virginia tweaked my
Windows Home XP so that it works smoothe and plenty Fast enough to suit
me.

http://www.gyration.com
(mini keyboard and mouse)

Lets me put doggy in the back part of my house and close the hall doors
so I can get back to workin on my house.I don't wants her to get outside
by herself, I never would catch her.Unless I can bribe her with a few
cookies.
cuhulin

Old March 25th 10, 12:23 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"D. Peter Maus"

He'll find something that works for him.

Had a note from Steve, he's ok but still sore.

ISP's are a dime a dozen

I have 3 ISP's plus 5 VPN's ISP's BUT, they do cost a little.

Old March 25th 10, 01:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Howdy Burr.

Http://www.devilfinder.com
Kathryn Stockett's book is about to hit the big screen

I saw her talking on WLBT 6:00 PM tv news this evening.She said she
didn't expect anybody to read her book but her mother.Her parents used
to own Stockett Stables.Nowadays some auto dealerships sit where
Stockett Stables used to be.

Tighten up every chance you get.
cuhulin