Old March 21st 10, 11:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Radio nederland

15315 KHz from Bonaire booming in like carzy ..
SINPO 5-5-4-5-5 at 2310z
FRG 7 and 50 feet of wire in the attic in Piedmont NC
Dan
AI8O

Old March 22nd 10, 02:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 21, 4:11*pm, ai8o wrote:
15315 KHz from Bonaire booming in like carzy ..
SINPO 5-5-4-5-5 at 2310z
FRG 7 and 50 feet of wire in the attic in Piedmont NC
Dan
AI8O

In Dutch or Spanish, I presume...?

Bruce
Old March 23rd 10, 02:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

According to schedule, the antenna from Bonaire is aimed almost due
south (182 or 170 degrees). Which actually is good news because there
is always some sort of backwhip in the opposite direction.
Old March 23rd 10, 03:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 22, 7:19*pm, SC Dxing wrote:
According to schedule, the antenna from Bonaire is aimed almost due
south (182 or 170 degrees). Which actually is good news because there
is always some sort of backwhip in the opposite direction.

....right, either straight back or off at some 120 degree or so angle
off the rear side. When I lived in Massachusetts 30 years ago - heck,
here in California - the Bonaire transmissions do/were ALWAYS
pound(ing) in no matter what time of day or night. It makes no
difference where the antenna was headed.

Bruce
Old March 23rd 10, 04:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 22, 11:17*pm, bpnjensen wrote:
On Mar 22, 7:19*pm, SC Dxing wrote:

According to schedule, the antenna from Bonaire is aimed almost due
south (182 or 170 degrees). Which actually is good news because there
is always some sort of backwhip in the opposite direction.

...right, either straight back or off at some 120 degree or so angle
off the rear side. *When I lived in Massachusetts 30 years ago - heck,
here in California - the Bonaire transmissions do/were ALWAYS
pound(ing) in no matter what time of day or night. *It makes no
difference where the antenna was headed.

Bruce

30 years ago Bonaire also had an AM broadcast on 800KHz. It came in
quite well at night all over the East coast.

Old March 23rd 10, 05:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 22, 9:56*pm, wrote:
On Mar 22, 11:17*pm, bpnjensen wrote:

On Mar 22, 7:19*pm, SC Dxing wrote:

According to schedule, the antenna from Bonaire is aimed almost due
south (182 or 170 degrees). Which actually is good news because there
is always some sort of backwhip in the opposite direction.

...right, either straight back or off at some 120 degree or so angle
off the rear side. *When I lived in Massachusetts 30 years ago - heck,
here in California - the Bonaire transmissions do/were ALWAYS
pound(ing) in no matter what time of day or night. *It makes no
difference where the antenna was headed.

Bruce

*30 years ago Bonaire also had an AM broadcast on 800KHz. It came in
quite well at night all over the East coast.

So I understood. Never made it to New England though, not really.
There was something else nearby on that freq, I cannot remember what.
Old March 23rd 10, 07:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:44:52 -0700 (PDT), bpnjensen
wrote:

On Mar 22, 9:56*pm, wrote:
On Mar 22, 11:17*pm, bpnjensen wrote:

On Mar 22, 7:19*pm, SC Dxing wrote:

According to schedule, the antenna from Bonaire is aimed almost due
south (182 or 170 degrees). Which actually is good news because there
is always some sort of backwhip in the opposite direction.

...right, either straight back or off at some 120 degree or so angle
off the rear side. *When I lived in Massachusetts 30 years ago - heck,
here in California - the Bonaire transmissions do/were ALWAYS
pound(ing) in no matter what time of day or night. *It makes no
difference where the antenna was headed.

Bruce

*30 years ago Bonaire also had an AM broadcast on 800KHz. It came in
quite well at night all over the East coast.

So I understood. Never made it to New England though, not really.
There was something else nearby on that freq, I cannot remember what.

It was the BIG 8 CKLW in Windsor, Ontario. I think they ran more than
50 KW not being regulated by the US. All you could hear in Detroit on
800kHz. In fact, all you had to do was turn up the gain on any amp or
PA system and you would hear them.

Jim
Old March 23rd 10, 07:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
On Mar 22, 9:56 pm, wrote:
[...]

Jim- Hide quoted text -

Now *that* signal I remember. It was potent in New England. Are they
still OTA?
Old March 23rd 10, 08:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
On Mar 22, 9:56 pm, wrote:
[...]

They are on the air at 800kHz, but as a newstalk station. Power is
reduced to 50 KW. Still have the CKLW call.

They do broadcast from the old CKLW studios with the call CKWW on 580
kHz with an oldies format. They modified the old CKLW jingles to match
the call. They even have a few (or at least one) of the old disc
jockeys. Charlie O'Brien is still on the air in the morning.
Unfortunately, they only run 500 watts but I listen to it in my car as
long as I am in range.

Jim