Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 22nd 10, 02:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default (OT) Scotland at Ireland: A Rousing Rugby Match!

Congratulations to Scotland for their hard fought 23 - 20 victory!

"Afternoon all, Josh Gardner here and I'll be guiding you through the
second of this afternoon's Six Nations matches, Ireland v Scotland
from Croke Park. As ever you can get in touch with us via Twitter,
your thoughts are, of course, always welcome.

It's a familiar story for Ireland this afternoon, with the hope of a
Grand Slam gone, they must content themselves with the consolation
prize of a Triple Crown by beating the Scots today. Don't forget,
there's also the outside chance of retaining the championship, should
England pull off an upset at the Stade De France later on today.

The final impetus, and one that has been built up greatly over the
last few days, is that after four years, Ireland are playing their
final rugby game at the magnificent Croke Park. The atmosphere inside
this cathedral of Gaelic sport has been incredible, and the Irish team
will be desperate to end on a high before they move to the redeveloped
Lansdowne Road (or the Aviva Stadium as it's going to be rather less
excitingly known...).

Scotland on the other hand will be wondering what might have been.
This might well have been the most frustrating tournament in recent
memory - they've played well and should have beaten, Wales, Italy and
England, last week, but instead there's a big fat donut in the win
column and they need a win today to avoid the Wooden Spoon. It's a big
ask for Andy Robinson's men, but they'll be so determined to give
their efforts this tournament a proper ending.

16.51 The Irish team, led, of course by Brian O'Driscoll walk out onto
the pitch and 80,000 voices roar in approval. There really is no place
like Croke in all of sports, and while the Aviva Stadium looks like
another stunning piece of engineering, with just 50,000 people there
it just won't be the same will it?

16.55 We're just waiting for the anthems now, and I don't know about
you, but I'm in a pretty good mood. Wales played like a professional
rugby teams and not like a bunch of lads who'd one a drinking
competition on St Mary's St to play rugby for Wales, and there's still
two matches to go - great stuff.

That said, I'm hardly expecting a tryfest this afternoon given the way
both teams have played recently. It's going to be physical, it's going
to be brutal and it's going to be tight - it could come down to who is
the most clinical with their chances.

16.58 The teams line up for the anthems, and those who've been
following my commentaries over the tournament will be aware of my
bugbear of the 'lineup mic' to hear all the players singing - it puts
paid to the legend of Wales being a land of song I'll tell you that -
but fair play to the Scots, they were mostly very tuneful - even the
props!

16.59 John Hayes has his critics, and believe me, I'm often one of
them, but no-one can doubt the man's passion and commitment to Ireland
and how much he loves that green shirt, he's sung it over 100 times
now and he looks as emotional as he did on his first cap

17.00 I would tell you about team changes, but both sides are in the
rare position of being unchanges from last week, and we're about to
get underway.
1

Dan Parks kicks long to get us started but Ireland secure it and set
off with ball in hand up to the 10m line - nice early endeavour from
the hosts there, looking to keep it in hand. Tommy Bowe comes off his
wing and takes it at pace, he runs between the centres at halfway and
looks to offloads to Earls, but he knocks it on. That could have been
an early score there, Earls was in acres of space.
2

First scrum test for Ireland as they have an early put-in, they just
hold on to it and Sexton takes it at first reciever, initiates the
loop with D'Arcy, but the young fly-half knocks it on and fumbles. Dan
Parks clears it and my, my what a kick, a full 70 metres and out at
the 22.
3

Solid work at the lineout and it's mauled up a few metres before
Sexton clears, he's pressured and it's partially charged down by de
Luca, it falls into Earls' hands and he's on his own just inside the
22, but his offload to Best is knocked on. If Earls had got to his
feet then he might have been away...
4

Ireland are penalised for an early hit at the scrum and Scotland take
a tap and go, Barclay nearly bursts through inside the five but is
smothered and we'll go back for a penalty in front of the posts, Paul
O'Connell didn't release Ford before competing.
5 0 - 3

SImple chip from in front of the posts and Parks gives Scotland the
lead. Worrying for Ireland though, they fell foul of the South African
referee's interpretation at the breakdown, and they have again.
6

Earls takes a lovely late pass from Sexton just outside the Irish 22,
he gets over the gain line and offloads to O'Connell, who bursts up to
a few metres shy of the line, but Ireland knock on as they recycle.
7

Scotland win a free kick at the scrum, but Parks' clearance doesn't
find touch - it could be dangerous but Murphy kicks it back and the
fly half calls the mark.
8

The battle of the lineouts is going with the throw so far -
O'Callaghan takes it off the top inside the Irish half and wilky soft
hands from the backs finds Murphy in space on the left wing.
9

The ball is recycled and David Wallace bursts up the touchline with
his electric pace but he's just in touch.
10 5 - 3

First stolen lineout ball and Ireland are really trying to keep it in
hand here. Sexton runs the loop, evades a few tacklers and bursts up
into the 22, he sucks in the tackler before passing it to O'Driscoll
who runs in under the posts - a gorgeous opening score there and some
lovely gliding running from the young fly-half.
11 7 - 3

Sexton can't miss from there and he doesn't.
12

Big chase from Max Evans from the kickoff, but he just knocks the ball
into touch on the right hand side.
13

Now it's Scotland's turn to steal a lineout, with Hamilton pinching it
at the front very cleanly. It's on the floor and just as the Scots
look to attack, O'Callaghan hacks it back and the danger is averted.
15 7 - 8

A try for the Scots, the first they've scored since the Wales game!
Ford winds a turnover and he offloads to Morrison at the 10m line who
finds himself in acres of space on the right hand touchline, he makes
it up to the 22 and offloads to the supporting Beattie, he looks like
he's going to be stopped short, but somehow the big Glasgow number
eight drags three tacklers over from about five metres out to touch
down.
16

It's a hard touchline conversion for Parks and he just sends it wide.
17

Well, I feel bad about saying that this was unlikely to be a tryfest,
we've got two already and both seems look set on throwing it around
and keeping it in hand, great stuff. Scotland nearly have another
break from the kickoff and Morrison latches on to a bouncing ball, but
can only offload to O'Connell.
18

Ireland aren't having much joy with the scrum today and they're
penalised just inside the Scottish half.
19

This is crazy stuff, almost like a Sevens game - Barclay knocks it on
in the tackle just outside the Irish 22 and the Irish backs
immediately counter, shipping it out to Earls who shows great pace on
the left hand touchline to beat the defender on the outside - he's
nearly clean through but he's snagged, who offloads to D'Arcy, who's
also tackled, who throws a speculative offload behind him that's
knocked on by Scotland.
20

Ireland manage to secure their own ball but Sexton nearly gives
Scotland another chance, throwing a pass to no-one that de Luca only
just fails to get to. They kick long and Southwell is penalised for
not releasing just inside the Scottish half.
21

Sexton kicks for the corner and O'Connell makes no mistake with the
lineout inside the 22, but Tommy Bowe knocks the ball on as he runs
onto it to waste the opportunity.
23

Unfortunately I'm going to have to just waffle at you for a minute,
we've entered the first period of mindlessly resetted scrums, but at
least it's only three times...
24

Ireland are unrecognisable from the team we've seen for the last few
weeks - they're looking to attack from everywhere and running some
lovely patterns. Bowe comes off his wing and bursts through a gap,
offloading to O'Driscoll just behind the 10m line, but he's snagged.
25

Ireland have a lineout just outside their 22, O'Leary box kicks from
the maul and it's a superb chase from Bowe, who arrives just as Lamont
secures it and puts him into touch.
26

Oh what a waste, Ireland are loose with the ball in possession and
Scotland can clear their lines, but de Luca's kick is too long and it
rolls over the dead ball line, giving Ireland another platform inside
the Scottish half.
27

Ireland get some joy at the scrum and win a kickable penalty, but
again Sexton kicks for the corner, he was awful from the tee last
week, but surely they've got to start taking the points?
28

Sure enough, Scotland do a great job with the defensive lineout, win
the ball and de Luca clears up to halfway - might Ireland regret that?
They are still losing...
29

Another Irish penalty, just inside the Scottish half but in front of
the posts. Scotland were penalised for going in off their feet. Sexton
will kick for goal, smart move.
30

The slight young Leinster halback is having a nightmare with the
goalkicking of late, and so it continues, that was from a fair way
out, but it couldnt have been more central, he shades it wide though -
you just can't miss those in international rugby.
31

Scotland look energised by that miss, they secure the restart and
start pounding and probing the Irish line, with Lamont and Evans both
coming in off their respective wings looking for work.
32

Barclay finds himself in some space on the right hand touchline and
bursts up to the 22, he offloads to Evans who sends a lovely inside
pop to de Luca, who pushes deeper into the Irish 22
33

Scotland keep their momentum up and they're really pounding the
contact area, pushing the Irish back - Ireland look to have a turnover
5 metres out but it's knocked on. BOD has decided to have his
customary injury scare early today, but he's down for a few seconds
and gingerly gets to his feet.
34

Another early hit at the scrum from Ireland, how hard is it to listen
to the ref? Scotland signal they want another penalty, they seem to
have an edge here. Hayes is going too early almost every time for
Ireland and Jonathan Kaplan's all over it, the big Munsterman is
rapidly turning into a liability at the scrum today...
36

The ball is finally out of the scrum and Scotland look to batter their
way through, but there's no delicacy to the play - they're just
crashing against a wall of green defenders - as Wales discovered last
week, you can't be that predictable against such a potent defence.
37 7 - 11

Ireland look to have turned it over in front of the posts, but
O'Callaghan was sealing it off and he's rightly penalised. Parks makes
no mistake with the kick and stretch the Scottish lead. Who thought
I'd get to say that today?
38

Ireland look urgent and desperate to have the final word in this half,
throwing it around and instantly getting inside the Scottish half, but
it's lost forward by O'Connell and Scotland clear.
39

Parks' up and under is very good, it hands long enough to allow
Morrison to challenge Kearney, who knocks on giving Scotland a final
chance before the half.
40

Beattie takes it from the base of the scrum and gets a few yards, the
big boys push the ball inside the 10m line and Lamont brings play up
to just outside the 22 with a nice run.
40+1 7 - 14

Scotland keep it tight just outside the 22, looking to tempt Ireland
into conceding, but Parks is back in the pocket when they don't and
strokes a drop goal over to end the half. That's a seven point lead
now.
0

Well, who saw that coming? Both sides have abandoned the conservative
gameplans that they've adopted up to now in the tournament and it's
been a very entertaining half. The big surprise though is that
scoreline - the Scots lead by a converted try and they've played much
better than they have since the Wales game. Hats off to Dan Parks,
Graeme Morrison and the Killer Bees - Barclay, Beattie and Brown who
have bossed the game so far.

Ireland haven't played badly at all so far though, but they've fallen
fould of Jonathan Kaplan's whistle a bit too much, have lacked
intensity at the breakdown at times, are creaking at the scrum, and
are even looking a bit dodgy at the lineout. While I want to have an
open game, Ireland's devil-may-care attitude is hurting them a tad and
they maybe need to calm it down a little bit - they're not finishing
off the chances, and knocking it on at crucial times - very un-
Irelandish.

There's a suspicion that Sexton's offload to O'Driscoll for his try
and the video seems to indicate it was, so Ireland can consider
themselves fortunate they're only seven points behind, but they still
have it all to do.

The BBC has just revealed that Jonathan Sexton has a 36% kicking
success ratio - Ronan O'Gara's in 100% by the by. That is just
unacceptable at this level, for all his excellent running abilities,
he's got to work on that if he wants to keep that 10 jersey, or he'll
find himself in a James Hook situation, and I don't think he's big
enough to play centre...
40

Speaking of Sexton, he bounces the ball and gets us back underway with
a long kick that's gathered by Beattie. Sexton sends up a Garryowen
and it's gathered unchallenged by Kearney just outside the Scottish
22.
41

Cian Healey takes a poor pass from O'Leary - it was at face height
from about two feet away - and understandably knocks on, but Scotland
are penalised for being offside at the ruck and Sexton will kick for
goal from the left-hand touchline.
42

These misses could really cost Ireland as Sexton hooks it to the left.
We might see O'Gara's steady hand sooner than later at this rate.
43

Ireland win a tunover just outside the 22, Sexton delays the loop pass
to Earls who bursts into the 22, only to be snagged and turned over by
the Scottish forwards.
44

Beattie comes in at the front trying to fool the Irish lineout but
he's quickly smothered and Scotland are pinned inside their 22 for the
first few minutes of this half.
45

Another pinched lineout after Parks' clearance and Lamont takes the
ball in midfield - he's in acres of space and the Scarlets wing isn't
brought down until he's just shy of the Irish 10m line. He's snagged
but Ireland are penalised for coming in at the side, and Parks will go
for goal.
46 7 - 17

A slow deliberate buildup for Parks who stretches Scotland's lead to
10 with a well struck kick from in front of the posts - it's not quite
panic stations for Ireland here, but it's getting there...
47

Scotland have been trying to throw it around inside their 22, but only
to create space for the clearing kick - not a bad plan the way the
Irish lineout is creaking.
48

O'Connell finally manages to secure his own ball and Ireland get all
Munster on us, rolling the mall up from halfway all the way up to the
22 - that's a real tone-setter.
49

The maul finally comes down, but it's a penalty for Ireland, offside
at the maul.
50

This is absurd - O'Gara is waiting to come on and is in fact 10 metres
onto the pitch, but Sexton indicates that he wants to kick the penalty
before he goes off - that's really petulant stuff from the young 10,
he'd better make this.
51 10 - 17

He does, just, but that was hardly a moment where the youngster
covered himself in glory...
52

O'Leary sends up a box kick from the 22 and Beattie makes a massive
hash of the catch in acres of space - he knocks on and the Croke Park
crowd are loving that, they're chanting loudly now.
53

O'Driscoll sends a lovely grubber through into the 22 and Kearney
pressures Southwell into a very poor clearance from an obtuse angle,
gaining almost no ground. All of a sudden, Ireland look
reinvigourated.
54

Oh so close, O'Gara puts a lovely inside ball for Bowe who bursts
through the gap, pushing up into the 22, but he's snagged, Ireland are
getting quick ball here, surely they're going to score. Oh no they
aren't D'Arcy is snagged on the left hand touchline and the forwards
dive in, turning it over.
55

Another poor lineout from O'Connell - as good as he was last week, and
he was very good last week, the Lions captain has been poor today.
Nick de Luca looks to clear it from the turnover ball but he's barely
gained 10 yards.
56

I'm sorry, are we watching Wales here? Am I colourblind? Yet another
dreadful lineout which Barclay snags at the tail, he bursts up over
halfway where Wallace is penalised for hands on the floor.
57

Big kick for Parks here, it's in front of the posts but about 50m out.
He strikes it well, but it just fades to the right. Kearney clears
long up to halfway.
58

Now it's Scotland's turn to assert some physical authority with a 15m
maul up into the Irish half. A high ball is sent up for de Luca to
chase, but he takes out Kearney in the air and it's a penalty to
Ireland.
59

Great kick from O'Gara bringing play up for the Irish 22 to the
Scottish 10m line. They finally manage to secure their own ball, but
it's not straight - I can't remember the last time I saw an Irish
lineout perform this badly. It's a credit to the excellent work from
the Scots, but O'Connell and O'Callaghan are having a shocker.
60

Scotland look to have some momentum and get up into the Irish half,
but Ireland strip the ball and win a penalty for the Scots holding on.
61

Another lovely touch kick from O'Gara brings play up to the 22.
62

Ireland actually secure their own ball, and O'Leary is so shocked he
falls over for no real reason with ball in hand. He recovers though
and Ireland can recycle.
63 15 - 17

Ireland have numbers on the right hand side and O'Driscoll delays the
pass to D'Arcy - the centre seems to have left Bowe with too much to
do, as two men are on him instantly, but he powers through and
stretches to touch the ball on the whitewash. The try is instantly
given, but I'm not sure if the TMO would have given that if he'd have
been asked - it looked like Bowe didnt have that much control of it.
64 17 - 17

O'Gara keeps his 100% record up by putting a lovely conversion over
from out wide to even the scores with 15 minutes left.
65

Bowe knocks on from the restart and Scotland have the ball inside the
Irish 10m line.
66

The Scots have the put-in at the scrum, it's reset, and we'll have a
break for some injuries.
67

Something finally goes right for Ireland at the scrum, Healey putting
Murray under pressure and the prop is penalised for boreing in.
68

Another chance for Ireland just on the Scottish 22, but it's another
wonky throw - Rory Best is all at sea at the minute and he's costing
Ireland vital chances.
69

Well, I had a feeling it might happen at some point - Euan Murray,
still a bit ticked off at being penalised at the last scrum, gets into
some handbags with the Irish front row - Kaplan tells him to calm
down, but the Northampton man has the look of a man who'd quite like
all the TV cameras to be turned off for a few minutes...
70

Watch out, Murray really means business - he's taken off his scrum
cap, which is sort of akin to when Arnie takes off his vest before the
final showdown in Predator - it's on now. He'll be happy with that -
Scotland win a free kick at the scrum and Lamont breaks up to the
halfway line, they move up a few metres and Ireland are penalised for
knocking it on.
71

Murray looks like a man who might tear his shirt off in Incredible
Hulk style in a minute - it's worked for him though, he's won two free
kicks and now Scotland have a kickable penalty.
72

This is a pretty straightforward shot really - just to the left of the
posts and not too far out. Crucial kick though.
73 17 - 20

No messing from Parks there, he ignores the Irish boos and strokes it
over to give Ireland the lead with just six minutes to go.
74

Earls thinks he's away up the left hand touchline from the restart,
but he's called back for an O'Connell knock on as he contested the
high ball. Murray has a wry smile - it's sort of like a grimace
actually - as he's penalised at the scrum and O'Gara has a chance to
level things.
75 20 - 20

Mister 100% is still exactly that, a lovely elegant stroke of the boot
to bring Ireland level - great kick.
76

Both teams looking on-edge now, a bit tentaitve at the breakdown - no-
one wants to give away a kickable penalty when things are this tight.
77

Oh dear oh dear. Kearney secures Dan Parks' high ball inside the 22,
but rather than kicking clear or passing to Bowe, he tries to beat
Danielli AND de Luca on the outside - he's caught and penalised for
holding on.
78 20 - 23

It's from the touchline here, out on the left, but what a moment this
could be for Parks. He kicks it and as soon as he strikes it, his
hands are in the air, he knows he's got it - that was a superb kick.
79

Scotland secure the restart and they'll look to run the final moments
down now - surely they can't be robbed of another win at the last
moment?
80

Its a scrum to Scotland and Ireland fiercely compete, but they just
can't get there - de Luca hoists the ball long into the stands and
Scotland have won their first match of the Six Nations.
0

Well, what a fantastic game - Dan Parks the clear man of the match,
kicking a superb winning penalty - and the Scotland players are
jubilant, dancing on the pitch and who can blame them? Ireland on the
other hand look completely shellshocked - they opened their Croke Park
stay with a last gap loss, and so they have closed it. They'll be
devastated, but the game was a great sendoff to the fantastic stadium
- competative, entertaining and physical.

Dan Parks notes to the BBC - "We came to spoil the party and we did."
No arguments, the Irish never saw Scotland coming, it was a truly
brilliant 80-minute performance, whereas Ireland were far from their
clinical, mistake-free best. That said, if young Jonny Sexton had
kicked his points, then Ireland would have won.

Hats off to Scotland, they're doing a lap of honour and so they
should. They've played so well at times in this tournament, they
deserved something to show for it. Ireland however will have much to
ponder - the O'Gara/Sexton question for one, and whether their usually
dominant defence can adjust to Southern Hemisphere refereeing - two
weeks on the bounce now, they've been absolutely slaughtered at the
breakdown and given away loads of penalties. Against Wales last week
they were too far ahead for it to cost them, but as today proved, they
won't always be so lucky.

Thanks for joining me today, and indeed throughout the tournament, be
sure to stick around for the climax of today's festivities where the
now-confirmed Champions France will look to put a Grand Slam gloss on
things against England."

Rugby On Shortwave? Priest Shortwave 3 February 6th 10 09:28 PM
Rugby - short-wave radio Reflink Mike Terry Broadcasting 0 November 6th 04 04:45 PM
New Scanner scaning group scotland scottish uk ireland David Scanner 0 January 7th 04 06:23 PM
Rugby Radio Station Robert Maskill Shortwave 0 December 5th 03 11:55 AM
Gamma match: Inherently inferior to balanced match systems? Cecil Moore Antenna 5 September 24th 03 04:57 PM