Old May 19th 10, 08:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Question For The Smarter Than Me Radio People

OK. I cleaned out my mini barn on the back part of my property. It now
looks like what I wanted when I had it build. I've got two shelves up
and I'm going to add six more throughout the area.

It is now primed and ready for me to bring some of my equipment out
there. I brought out the lasy susan table and my GE P780 and later
today I'm going to bring the DX398 out there. I have my Pop Comm / MT
mags - my killer rocking chair :-) - I've been having fun.

Even though I live in a pretty good area whereas there isn't much RFI
to deal with, I did notice a big difference just being roughly 70 ft.
away from the house.

OK - here is the question. With the GE and even the 398 I suppose. I
ran a length of 12 gauge to my AD DX Sloper with a alligator clip and
ran it back to the GE. My thinking was that I could couple that to
both of my radios that way, which I did with the GE already- along
with having my loop out there. Will this work? I noticed a big
difference out there, but I was only out there for maybe 45 minutes
and it was around 5pm - so I don't know if the radio came alive just
because I was away from everything or because I hooked up to the
antenna. Any comments would be appreciated.

Old May 19th 10, 02:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Gregg wrote:
[...]

Antenna overload will be your enemy. Figure a way to couple the energy
to the receivers without swamping the front-ends.
Old May 19th 10, 03:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 5/19/2010 9:06 AM, dave wrote:
Gregg wrote:
[...]

Gregg. I have to go with Dave on this. the 398 has a lose front-end, and
almost any bit of wire over 20 ft. will give you trouble. i would
say the less hash is your big winner. that sloper is a real keeper, but
I would try your set-up on a few desk tops. I believe you will see a
bigger difference, from the house out there. it's like going from a
random long wire, to a good loop. you really don't receive more, you
just "hear" more. a lot of those low signals have always been there,
but now they kind of jump out at you. sounds like a cool set up. is
your barn dry? if you keep your receivers there, ya gotta watch the
humidity. and don't forget the winter cold, ya don't want to kill
a good receiver. have fun.

Drifter...
Old May 19th 10, 08:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

bpnjensen wrote:
On May 19, 7:51 am, Drifter wrote:
On 5/19/2010 9:06 AM, dave wrote:

Gregg wrote:
[...]

Drifter...- Hide quoted text -

I have used my DX-398 (Radiolabs mods) with my Alpha Delta DX-ULTRA
and a 60-foot wire outside, with lots of MW blowtorches nearby (like 2
- 50 kW stations within 2 miles on salt flats and another 5 miles away
or so, plus several others not far), and on SW anyway, it is no worse
than any other radio. They all get some level of images below 3.5
MHz, bit nothing serious above. If I got even ten miles away from
this crummy place, most of that would cease too.

The 398, for real signals, leaps ahead dramatically with an external
wire or active antenna. The built-in whip is too weak - because, as I
understand it, Sangean places a resistor either in series with the
darn thing, or across to the ground, either of which is a dumb idea
and both of which are bypassed by the external antenna socket(s) :-/

Bruce

Is that the Sangean ATS909? It has a real front end.
Old May 19th 10, 08:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 5/19/2010 9:06 AM, dave wrote:

Gregg wrote:
[...]

Dave, i believe he has the super 398. I'm not sure what all the mods
are from radiolabs. but, Bruce is not the first person to state this.
i guess they do something on the front end of this port. if it behaves
on the DX-ultra, it's doing great. i have one here in a tight inverted
V , and it works super.

Drifter...

Old May 20th 10, 12:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 19, 9:06*am, dave wrote:
Gregg wrote:
[...]

to the receivers without swamping the front-ends.- Hide quoted text -

Well, I'll have to see more, like I said I just started out there and
don't even have an hour in yet. But from the little time I clipped on
with the GE I didn't noticed any overload, we'll see. I did get a
station out of Beckley {sp} Bexley W.Va - I forget what freq. though
but I have it wrote down out there.

Old May 20th 10, 12:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 19, 10:51*am, Drifter wrote:
On 5/19/2010 9:06 AM, dave wrote:

Gregg wrote:
[...]

I'll have to check on the 398 overloading, I know for a fact it would
have when I bought it new because it did in here (house) - - but after
Radio Labs did their mods I have been able to use it with the sloper
with no problem so far. I don't really use the 398 as much as I
should, I bet I don't have twenty hours of listening on it. Not that I
don't like it, I just have other receivers I use....every receiver has
its niche and it just seems the 398's isn't here in the house - but
out there in the barn it'd be fine because of the portability.

I don't have electric out there but I've thought about it for years
and now that I cleaned it up a bit - I may consider that...it would be
sweet. As for any leaks - not a one- but the shingles should be redone
in the next couple of years. But I definitely won't be in there once
the temperature goes up, but for now or while it's cool outside at
night - - I like it and I do bring my radios in with me when I'm
done.:-)

Old May 20th 10, 12:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 5/19/2010 9:06 AM, dave wrote:

Gregg wrote:
[...]

Bruce- Hide quoted text -

Exactly Bruce. I just don't understand why these companies don't do it
right the first time. IMO- both the 398/909 and the DX394 were
basically nothing I could use when I bought them new and actually I
thought there wouldn't be much of a difference, but what a difference
those receivers are now with all the mods.

Old May 20th 10, 12:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 5/19/2010 9:06 AM, dave wrote:

Gregg wrote:
[...]

Is that the Sangean ATS909? *It has a real front end.- Hide quoted text -

Indeed it is Dave.