Old June 14th 10, 10:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default AOR UK is No More

This is definitely the end of an era: AOR UK will cease to exist after
June 2010.

See details he http://www.aoruk.com/Index.htm

There is now only one tabletop shortwave communications on the market
(so far as I know): the ICOM IC-R75 which is hardly in the class of
some of the great tabletops of years past (at least in my opinion)
though it's leagues ahead of most portables (and, I believe, can be
greatly improved with the addition of the Sherwood SE-3).

Many people have said that the shortwave hobby is dying and I'm afraid
I'm now inclined to agree with them. What's really sad (and possibly
dangerous) is that, if shortwave communications "goes," how will
"captive" countries - and make no mistake: there are plenty of them
and there will be many more to come - be reached? Internet is
certainly no substitute for shortwave radio.

It's possible that, just when we need shortwave, it may no longer
exist.

In any case, if you do own a good tabletop shortwave receiver, hold on
to it and keep it in good repair because you probably won't be able to
replace it.

Joe
Old June 14th 10, 10:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Joe Analssandrini wrote:
Many people have said that the shortwave hobby is dying and I'm afraid
I'm now inclined to agree with them. What's really sad (and possibly
dangerous) is that, if shortwave communications "goes," how will
"captive" countries - and make no mistake: there are plenty of them
and there will be many more to come - be reached? Internet is
certainly no substitute for shortwave radio.

It's possible that, just when we need shortwave, it may no longer
exist.

In any case, if you do own a good tabletop shortwave receiver, hold on
to it and keep it in good repair because you probably won't be able to
replace it.

I disagree. The market has stratifed into two classes of radios. Portables,
ranging from cheap to mid priced, from analog tuning AM only to digital
with sync detectors, etc and ham transceivers with full coverage.

For example, Universal sells a new Yaseu FT-817nd for $600, which covers
100kHz to 470mHz (with gaps), receives USB, LSB, CW, AM, FM, W-FM, Digital
(AFSK) and Packet (1200/9600 FM).

If you want something a more "desktop" the 857 is $750 and includes DSP.

Universal lists an Alinco not yet available, for probably $650 with a
30kHz to 30Mhz AM/FM/SSB receiver.

The ICOM 706 is $970 and it can be split into a radio and a control head
to take less space. $970 sounds like a lot of money, but it's less than a
Kenwood R5000 cost in 1991 and about half of what it cost if you added the
good AM filter and VHF convertor.

The 703+ which is a similar rig with low power output is only $750. It's
limited to 30kHz to 60mHz reception, without the VHF and UHF reception.

Granted anything beyond the 817 needs a power supply but a 3-4 amp one will
do for reception.

In 1991 terms the $600 today to buy the 817 would have been about $300 and
bought you a Radio Shack HTX-100. A nice 10m SSB/CW rig.

By that reckoning, an NRD-535D with all the extras would be close to $5000
today. How many ham rigs with DC to Daylight reception, DSP, 100 or more
memories, computer interfaces etc can you get for that.

Granted some countries, for example the one I live in restricts the ownership
of transmitters to hams, but the US does not.

Geoff.

I do multitasking. If that bothers you, file a complaint and I will start
ignoring it immediately.
Old June 15th 10, 04:49 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 14, 5:16*pm, Joe Analssandrini
wrote:
[...]

AOR does not produce any hf receivers for the hobby,since they
discontinued their highly rated 7030. Also, Icom may stop making the
misfortunate R75 in the near future. But,we do have Ten-
Tec,Palstar,Sangean,NASA (aka AKD,Sitex),Eton (junk). And we also have
a whole new breed of SDRs from different places. Sometimes I wonder
why Elecraft does not make just a receiver- it could become a real
super-seller.
Old June 15th 10, 05:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

[...]

I have an R75, and am generally very happy with it. Nonetheless, an
Elecraft RX would be just dynamite.
Old June 15th 10, 01:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Joe Analssandrini wrote:

It's possible that, just when we need shortwave, it may no longer
exist.

In any case, if you do own a good tabletop shortwave receiver, hold on
to it and keep it in good repair because you probably won't be able to
replace it.

Joe

HFBC went away 10 years ago. It was replaced by the internet. You're
soaking in it.

Old June 15th 10, 01:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

[...]

You can get a nice SDR-IQ black box, a laptop, a USB sound card, and a
nice set of active speakers for less than an R8B. better performance, too.
Old June 15th 10, 03:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 15, 5:24*am, m II wrote:
dave wrote:
You can get a nice SDR-IQ black box, a laptop, a USB sound card, and a
nice set of active speakers for less than an R8B. *better performance, too.

This seems to be a good example of such an item.

http://www.scannermaster.com/SDR_IQ_.../43-501312.htm

mike

Note the user comment/review at the bottom.

What does [paraphrased] "panoramic support of communication receivers"
mean?

Bruce Jensen
Old June 15th 10, 03:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 15, 6:00*am, dave wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
On Jun 14, 8:49 pm, wrote:
On Jun 14, 5:16 pm, Joe
wrote:

[...]

So get a General class license and transmit once in a while.

http://kb6nu.com/tech-manual/

http://www.qrz.com/testing.html

I went from nothing to Extra Amateur class in 5 weeks.- Hide quoted text -

No desire whatsoever - just doesn't grab me.
Old June 15th 10, 09:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

bpnjensen wrote:

http://www.scannermaster.com/SDR_IQ_.../43-501312.htm

mike

Note the user comment/review at the bottom.

What does [paraphrased] "panoramic support of communication receivers"
mean?

It's quite obvious.

Remember the Greek god Pan? Well, with each purchase, this company
supplies little goat like legs to support any other receivers you may
connect in a semicircular pattern around the SDR receiver.

The uneducated masses may think that the phrase actually means 'wide
ranging', but we know better.

mike
Old June 15th 10, 09:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 15, 1:07*pm, m II wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
http://www.scannermaster.com/SDR_IQ_.../43-501312.htm

mike

Note the user comment/review at the bottom.

What does [paraphrased] "panoramic support of communication receivers"
mean?

It's quite obvious.

Remember the Greek god Pan? Well, with each purchase, this company
supplies little goat like legs to support any other receivers you may
connect in a semicircular pattern around the *SDR receiver.

The uneducated masses may think that the phrase actually means 'wide
ranging', but we know better.

mike

Oh, sure, I undrstood THAT underlying principle right away ;-)