Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 14th 10, 10:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default AOR UK is No More

This is definitely the end of an era: AOR UK will cease to exist after
June 2010.

See details he http://www.aoruk.com/Index.htm

There is now only one tabletop shortwave communications on the market
(so far as I know): the ICOM IC-R75 which is hardly in the class of
some of the great tabletops of years past (at least in my opinion)
though it's leagues ahead of most portables (and, I believe, can be
greatly improved with the addition of the Sherwood SE-3).

Many people have said that the shortwave hobby is dying and I'm afraid
I'm now inclined to agree with them. What's really sad (and possibly
dangerous) is that, if shortwave communications "goes," how will
"captive" countries - and make no mistake: there are plenty of them
and there will be many more to come - be reached? Internet is
certainly no substitute for shortwave radio.

It's possible that, just when we need shortwave, it may no longer
exist.

In any case, if you do own a good tabletop shortwave receiver, hold on
to it and keep it in good repair because you probably won't be able to
replace it.

Joe