Old June 30th 10, 01:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Drake R8 for sale

Found this searching for shortwave radios for sale.
Craiglist just has Junk.
Are these that much better than say a Kenwood R-2000?
I have an Icom R 71A with the memory board mod and audio upgrades. Would
the Drake receive better than my Icom? The drake sure doesn't look as
professional.
http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...AdIdZ213262842

Old June 30th 10, 01:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 6/29/10 19:32 , Justis wrote:
Found this searching for shortwave radios for sale.
Craiglist just has Junk.
Are these that much better than say a Kenwood R-2000?
I have an Icom R 71A with the memory board mod and audio upgrades. Would
the Drake receive better than my Icom? The drake sure doesn't look as
professional.
http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...AdIdZ213262842

I've had R-71a. And I have an R8-A. Personally, I prefer the Drake.
It's quiet, the audio is quite good, and filters are well selected.

As far as digging out deep DX, you'll hear about the same signals on
either, with a decent antenna.

Does your R-71a have PBT?

Old June 30th 10, 02:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 6/29/10 20:06 , Justis wrote:
PBT, PassBandTuning .... sure does. Makes voice a lot more intelligible
at times. Part of the same control as the Notch.

Your question about R-71 vs R-2000....R-71 and R-2000 are about
equivalent receivers in their class. Some trivial advantages one way or
the other, but on the same antenna, they're about indistinguishable in
performance. The Kenwood does have better audio. And the R-71 better
ergonomics.

As far as comparing the two to the Drake, it's largely a matter of
taste. The design, the layout, the operation of the Drake fits some
operators' preferences better.

As far as resale value goes, however, R-71a, even with PBT, will run
less than your Drake. Some models by a considerable margin. They seem to
hold value better than the ICOM's or the Kenwoods. And Kenwood support
has been flagging on R-2000, lately. While support on the Drake is still
quite good.

If a choice had to be made, I'd sell the ICOM and keep the Drake.

Old June 30th 10, 05:59 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Justis wrote:
I have an Icom R 71A with the memory board mod and audio upgrades. Would
the Drake receive better than my Icom? The drake sure doesn't look as
professional.

You're right. The Drake looks like a home satellite TV receiver. That's because
at the time Drake was making only high end home satellite TV receivers. Their
days of making ham or SW radios were long over.

So they decided that your average SWL would want a radio that looked like
the rest of their audio equipment and was 100% remote controllable. It even
came with a remote control like a satellite receiver.

Ergonomicaly, it's either wonderful or terrible depending upon how you
feel a radio should feel. Either way inside is a top notch recevier.

Note that they made them for around 15 years in several variants.
In the US there was an R8, RA8 and R8B. There also was an R8E sold in
Europe (based on the original R8), although all of them work on 230
volts.

Geoff.

I do multitasking. If that bothers you, file a complaint and I will start
ignoring it immediately.

Old June 30th 10, 02:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Justis wrote:
Found this searching for shortwave radios for sale.
Craiglist just has Junk.
Are these that much better than say a Kenwood R-2000?
I have an Icom R 71A with the memory board mod and audio upgrades. Would
the Drake receive better than my Icom? The drake sure doesn't look as
professional.
http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...AdIdZ213262842

Decent receiver at twice that price.
Old June 30th 10, 02:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

You're right. The Drake looks like a home satellite TV receiver. That's because
at the time Drake was making only high end home satellite TV receivers. Their
days of making ham or SW radios were long over.

So they decided that your average SWL would want a radio that looked like
the rest of their audio equipment and was 100% remote controllable. It even
came with a remote control like a satellite receiver.

Not exactly. They make low-end professional cable headend equipment,
including modulators, IRDs, FM tuners, etc.

Old June 30th 10, 07:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 29, 8:32*pm, "Justis" wrote:
Found this searching for shortwave radios for sale.
Craiglist just has Junk.
Are these that much better than say a Kenwood R-2000?
I have an Icom R 71A *with the memory board mod and audio upgrades. *Would
the Drake receive better than my Icom? * The drake sure doesn't look as
professional.http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...AKE-R8-Shortwa...

I owned both an ICOM R71A and a Drake R8 (at different times). The
Drake was better, especially because of it's synchronous AM detector
and decent audio. It's noise limiter was pretty good too.

For Sale: Drake R8a John S. Shortwave 0 January 24th 06 09:37 PM
For Sale: Drake R8a Boh Shortwave 0 January 24th 06 03:32 AM
drake r8 for sale PETER MORALES Swap 0 April 23rd 05 03:18 AM
DRAKE R8-B FOR SALE TIM O'HARE Shortwave 0 December 31st 03 04:53 AM
DRAKE SW2 FOR SALE Peter Morales Shortwave 0 September 7th 03 06:47 PM