RadioBanter

-   -   I need an NMO antenna installed on my truck (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/152927-i-need-nmo-antenna-installed-my-truck.html)

Robert Keeler August 2nd 10 09:48 PM

I need an NMO antenna installed on my truck

Have the antenna and coax just need someone who knows how to r&R the headliner and drill hole and mount antenna and route Coax. In the general Los Angeles area

Fred McKenzie August 3rd 10 03:36 AM

I need an NMO antenna installed on my truck

In article ,
Robert Keeler wrote:

In the
general Los Angeles area

Robert-

I'd call Ham Radio Outlet (HRO) and ask for their advice. They might
even have a shop that does mobile radio installations.

Fred

dave August 3rd 10 03:40 AM

Toxic wrote:
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 20:48:55 +0000, Robert Keeler wrote:

Have the antenna and coax just need someone who knows how to r&R the
headliner and drill hole and mount antenna and route Coax. In the
general Los Angeles area

To get a proper weather tight NMO mount,
you're gonna need a Greenlee hole cutter.

Remove the dome light. Try to fish the RG174U co-ax through the same
place the dome light wire goes. There's usually some kind of channel.
Drill your hole straight up from the dome light.

Robert Keeler August 3rd 10 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave (Post 714449)
Toxic wrote:
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 20:48:55 +0000, Robert Keeler wrote:

Have the antenna and coax just need someone who knows how to r&R the
headliner and drill hole and mount antenna and route Coax. In the
general Los Angeles area

To get a proper weather tight NMO mount,
you're gonna need a Greenlee hole cutter.

Remove the dome light. Try to fish the RG174U co-ax through the same
place the dome light wire goes. There's usually some kind of channel.
Drill your hole straight up from the dome light.

Yes I know about the "channel" but I don't own a greenly hole punch. just some hole saws and I am afraid they wont make a clean enough hole for a good seal.

dave August 3rd 10 06:28 PM

Robert Keeler wrote:

Yes I know about the "channel" but I don't own a greenly hole punch.
just some hole saws and I am afraid they wont make a clean enough hole
for a good seal.

I think you can rent these.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hydraul...kit-96718.html

dave August 3rd 10 06:32 PM

Robert Keeler wrote:
-
Have the antenna and coax just need someone who knows how to r&R the
headliner and drill hole and mount antenna and route Coax. In the
general Los Angeles area-

To get a proper weather tight NMO mount,
you're gonna need a Greenlee hole cutter.-

Remove the dome light. Try to fish the RG174U co-ax through the same
place the dome light wire goes. There's usually some kind of channel.
Drill your hole straight up from the dome light.

Yes I know about the "channel" but I don't own a greenly hole punch.
just some hole saws and I am afraid they wont make a clean enough hole
for a good seal.

A step drill works OK too.

[email protected] August 3rd 10 07:34 PM

I need an NMO antenna installed on my truck

Why is it the stores around here don't have any 5/16'' diameter drill
bits eight inches long for sale, the kind for drilling holes in metal?
That SUCKS! I need me a drill bit like that.
cuhulin