Old August 2nd 10, 10:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Radio Suggestions Requested, Please. And, Re Yaesu FRG 7700

Hi,

I enjoy sw listening, and quite a while ago I gave my son my Yaesu FRG
7700 when I updated my set to a JRC.

He thinks he would like sw listening, but the FRG 7700 is of course all
analog, and not much fun to use for someone like him who is very
non-technical.

I was thinking of selling it, and using the $ to get him a modern sw
receiver.

Would be for a Tabletop Model, and $ 250 max for the new one.

He wouldn't need SSB or vhf/uhf scanning, just the typical sw stuff
below 30 MHz.
But, I guess fm would be nice also.

Would also want, I guess, an all digital readout, digital freq.
selection, some memory capability, and if common, perhaps a built in
displayable station/freq. database
but they change so often, I'm not sure how or if this is practical ?
(Perhaps downloadable for Eibi, or...?)

Any suggestions ?

I guess the big names now for these types of radios are Sangean and
Grundig/Eaton. Others ?

Frankly, I know nothing about them as to reliability or performance, or
their model lineups.

BTW: Anyone interested in a FRG 7700 ? Or, what kind of value do they
have ?

Thanks,
Bob
Old August 3rd 10, 01:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 17:54:10 -0400, Bob wrote:

[...]

Sure that's not an FRG-7? The FRG-7700 had digital readout.

Jim
Old August 4th 10, 10:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Aug 2, 2:54*pm, Bob wrote:
[...]

A used Grundig Satellit 800 Receiver
http://www.grundigsatellit800.com/
http://www.radiointel.com/review-sat800.htm
http://www.mwcircle.org/mw_rec_grundigsat800.htm
http://www.dxing.com/rx/sat800.htm
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0800.html

-or- a new Grundig Satellit 750 Receiver
http://www.frys.com/product/6084828
http://www.etoncorp.com/product_card...uctDbId=351064
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0750.html
http://www.monitoringtimes.com/mtfir...tellite750.pdf
http://gizmodo.com/341112/grundig-et...-yes-shortwave

are both nice SW Program Listeners Radios ~ RHF