Old August 2nd 10, 10:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Radio Suggestions Requested, Please. And, Re Yaesu FRG 7700

Hi,

I enjoy sw listening, and quite a while ago I gave my son my Yaesu FRG
7700 when I updated my set to a JRC.

He thinks he would like sw listening, but the FRG 7700 is of course all
analog, and not much fun to use for someone like him who is very
non-technical.

I was thinking of selling it, and using the $ to get him a modern sw
receiver.

Would be for a Tabletop Model, and $ 250 max for the new one.

He wouldn't need SSB or vhf/uhf scanning, just the typical sw stuff
below 30 MHz.
But, I guess fm would be nice also.

Would also want, I guess, an all digital readout, digital freq.
selection, some memory capability, and if common, perhaps a built in
displayable station/freq. database
but they change so often, I'm not sure how or if this is practical ?
(Perhaps downloadable for Eibi, or...?)

Any suggestions ?

I guess the big names now for these types of radios are Sangean and
Grundig/Eaton. Others ?

Frankly, I know nothing about them as to reliability or performance, or
their model lineups.

BTW: Anyone interested in a FRG 7700 ? Or, what kind of value do they
have ?

Thanks,
Bob
Old August 3rd 10, 01:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 17:54:10 -0400, Bob wrote:

[...]

Sure that's not an FRG-7? The FRG-7700 had digital readout.

Jim
Old August 4th 10, 10:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Aug 2, 2:54*pm, Bob wrote:
[...]

A used Grundig Satellit 800 Receiver
http://www.grundigsatellit800.com/
http://www.radiointel.com/review-sat800.htm
http://www.mwcircle.org/mw_rec_grundigsat800.htm
http://www.dxing.com/rx/sat800.htm
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0800.html

-or- a new Grundig Satellit 750 Receiver
http://www.frys.com/product/6084828
http://www.etoncorp.com/product_card...uctDbId=351064
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0750.html
http://www.monitoringtimes.com/mtfir...tellite750.pdf
http://gizmodo.com/341112/grundig-et...-yes-shortwave

are both nice SW Program Listeners Radios ~ RHF
Old August 5th 10, 01:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Aug 4, 12:37*pm, Bob Dobbs wrote:
RHF wrote:

A used Grundig Satellit 800 Receiver
http://www.grundigsatellit800.com/
http://www.radiointel.com/review-sat800.htm
http://www.mwcircle.org/mw_rec_grundigsat800.htm
http://www.dxing.com/rx/sat800.htm
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0800.html

-or- a new Grundig Satellit 750 Receiver
http://www.frys.com/product/6084828
http://www.etoncorp.com/product_card...uctDbId=351064
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0750.html
http://www.monitoringtimes.com/mtfir...tellite750.pdf
http://gizmodo.com/341112/grundig-et...rtwave-radio-y...

are both nice SW Program Listeners Radios ~ RHF

The 750 lacks synchronous detection, better just hope that station you're
listening to isn't affected in a way that could be improved by this feature.

--

Operator Bob
Echo Charlie 42

Sony ICF-SW7600GR -portable-
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0360.html
Old August 5th 10, 11:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

RHF wrote:

[...]

.

That's a good one but the big box sound of the first two you suggested would
likely be more pleasant for extended 'program' listening, if there were
consistently stable enough signals for the 750 or if not then the 800.
I'll bet that our E1's would have a more mellow long term easy listening sound
than the 7600. But someone looking to carry a more portable unit into the field
would be well served by either the Sony or the Eton.

--

Operator Bob
Echo Charlie 42

Yes the Eton E1s have a 'nice' long-term
Listening Sound, and some claim that the
E1's AM-SYNC is better that the GS800.

Usually for the 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios
like the Sony ICF-SW7600GR Receiver
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0360.html

* You can use a single small 4" Audio Speaker
to hear the sound better.
http://cgi.ebay.com//360263112714
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...kers/3472.html
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Uniden-5-W...eaker/10902884
http://www.truckers-store.com/external-speakers/

Sounds Sweet Communications Speaker
http://www.soundssweet.com/

* Or a small pair of Self-Powered PC Speakers
can greatly improve the Listening Sound and
enable the FM Stereo Sound output to be heard.
** AC Powered Speakers
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cyber-Acou...akers/10263995
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-97026.../dp/B000IF4788

-or- Battery [DC] Powered Speakers