Old September 7th 10, 09:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default R70 Question

On Sep 6, 7:34*pm, Buster wrote:
Hi, i just purchased an ICOM R70 and have a question. *Could someone
please tell me if the 455kHz filter used in the third I.F. Needs to be
the same width as the second I.F.? *For example, if I put an Inrad 2.1
or even 1.8 kHz filter (third IF) with the stock 2.3 kHz second IF
filter what would be the result of the PBT? *Would it be better to
replace both IF filters (SSB) with Inrads for better selectivity or
should I just leave the stock 9 MHz filter in place? *Thanks!

The 3rd IF is 455 KHz. The SSB ceramic filter is good.I don't think it
needs to be upgraded (believe it is Murata metal CFx455x series). The
AM ceramic is too wide and has poor -6/-60 shape factor. As far as I
remember,Inrad doesn't have any small size filters like the original
Muratas, just the larger 2nd IF at 9.01xx MHz. The original FL-xx
series are quite decent. And they cost an arm and a leg because they
are crystal ones.That applies to both (Inrad and Icom). KIWA had
some moderately priced ceramic filters at 455KHz . Make shure they
match the pcb holes before buying them. This is critical . Using wire
jumpers in rf circuit (even shielded) may lead to excessive signal
bleedthrough and defeat the whole purpose of doing it. R-70 had
pretty high specs for it's time. Enjoy!
Old September 7th 10, 01:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Sep 7, 1:33*am, wrote:
On Sep 6, 7:34*pm, Buster wrote:

[...]

Icom R70 Receiver Filter Options by KIWA Electronics
http://kiwa.us/R70.html

INFO on 455kHz Filters and Filter Modules by KIWA
http://kiwa.us/kiwa455.html

Plus the Kiwa Audio Upgrades
http://kiwa.us/audioupgrade.html

Also Note that KIWA Electronics website
is now a ".Us" and not a .Com or .Net
thats' : www. kiwa .us = http://www.kiwa.us/

hope this helps ~ RHF
Old September 7th 10, 01:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 7, 8:03*am, RHF wrote:
On Sep 7, 1:33*am, wrote:

On Sep 6, 7:34*pm, Buster wrote:

[...]

*.

* Make shure they
match the pcb holes before buying them. This is critical . Using wire
jumpers in rf circuit (even shielded) may lead to excessive signal
bleedthrough and defeat the whole purpose of doing it. R-70 had
pretty *high specs *for it's time. *Enjoy!

*~ RHF- Hide quoted text -

Thank you, everyone!
Old September 7th 10, 05:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

http://www.sherweng.com/table.html
Old September 7th 10, 06:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 7, 5:03*am, RHF wrote:
On Sep 7, 1:33*am, wrote:

On Sep 6, 7:34*pm, Buster wrote:

[...]

I would add that the Kiwas have decent shape factors and ultimate
rejection, in my experience with a Kiwa-modded R75 (although the R75
uses a 450 kHz IF).

Bruce

Old September 7th 10, 09:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

bpnjensen wrote:

.

Make shure they
match the pcb holes before buying them. This is critical . Using wire
jumpers in rf circuit (even shielded) may lead to excessive signal
bleedthrough and defeat the whole purpose of doing it. R-70 had
pretty high specs for it's time. Enjoy!

~ RHF- Hide quoted text -

I would add that the Kiwas have decent shape factors and ultimate
rejection, in my experience with a Kiwa-modded R75 (although the R75
uses a 450 kHz IF).

Bruce

The RF parts of both models are the same, according to Rob Sherwood.
Old September 9th 10, 04:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 7, 4:29*pm, dave wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
On Sep 7, 5:03 am, *wrote:
On Sep 7, 1:33 am, wrote:

On Sep 6, 7:34 pm, *wrote:

[...]

* .

* *Make shure they
match the pcb holes before buying them. This is critical . Using wire
jumpers in rf circuit (even shielded) may lead to excessive signal
bleedthrough and defeat the whole purpose of doing it. R-70 had
pretty *high specs *for it's time. *Enjoy!

* ~ RHF- Hide quoted text -

I would add that the Kiwas have decent shape factors and ultimate
rejection, in my experience with a Kiwa-modded R75 (although the R75
uses a 450 kHz IF).

Bruce

The RF parts of both models are the same, according to Rob Sherwood.- Hide quoted text -

If R75 is using the same front end and possibly very similar IF
circuitry as R70,this it is a proof of an extremely succesful
design! The R70 ,if my memory serves me right, was most likely based
on a transceiver like IC-720A, made around 1981-82 . I might be
wrong,though. Too bad very few manufacturers keep the evolutionary
cycle going nowdays,even VW...