Old October 14th 10, 05:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default 9.990mHz station

I'm copying a station on 9.990mHz that is very strong and in another
language other than English. There is no copy of WWV/WWVH at 10.000mHz.
Any ideas of who this might be?

VegasNightOwl

Old October 15th 10, 04:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 10:48:40 -0700, "VegasNightOwl"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 21:13:18 -0700, "VegasNightOwl"
wrote:

I'm copying a station on 9.990mHz that is very strong and in another
language other than English. There is no copy of WWV/WWVH at 10.000mHz.
Any ideas of who this might be?

VegasNightOwl

Did the audio drop out a few times during the broadcast? If it did, it
is probably Radio Cairo.

The audio was perfect. No dropouts or low modulation for the 10 minutes
that was received.

VegasNightOwl

Could be Cairo, could be North Korea. Is your computer clock set for
local or UTC? Better yet - what was UTC? Any guess on language?

Jim(MI)

It was about 0445z. I couldn't begin to guess at what language it was.

VegasNightOwl

Old October 15th 10, 08:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 09:34:59 -0800, dave wrote:

wrote:

Well, can't find anything listed at that time. I would have to guess
Cairo or North Korea since they are set up for transmission on 9990
kHz. I listened yesterday until about 0300 and did not hear anything
on the frequency. I will listen later today.

Jim

Did you check for tropical band stations on 4995KHz?

It could be a harmonic.

http://www.dxing.com/tuning.htm

There is a station in Peru on at this time on 4995kHz. Good call
Dave - something else to check out.
What type of radio are you listening to?

Jim
Old October 15th 10, 10:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 09:34:59 -0800, wrote:

wrote:

Well, can't find anything listed at that time. I would have to guess
Cairo or North Korea since they are set up for transmission on 9990
kHz. I listened yesterday until about 0300 and did not hear anything
on the frequency. I will listen later today.

Jim

Did you check for tropical band stations on 4995KHz?

It could be a harmonic.

http://www.dxing.com/tuning.htm

There is a station in Peru on at this time on 4995kHz. Good call
Dave - something else to check out.
What type of radio are you listening to?

Jim

I have an Elecraft K3 for ham bands. An ICOM R75 for general
coverage/utes, a Drake SW2 (mainly for MW DX), an AOR AR8200MK3B, a
bunch of Radio Shack and Uniden scanners, and the web radio.

Old October 16th 10, 10:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

I'm copying a station on 9.990mHz that is very strong and in another
language other than English. There is no copy of WWV/WWVH at 10.000mHz.
Any ideas of who this might be?

VegasNightOwl

Listened until 0500UT but nothing showed up on 9990kHz, at least
nothing here. Heard a pretty good station from India with a music
program earlier down the band - around 9910kHz. So signals from the
far east are propagating around that that time.

Try to listen to a few foreign broadcasts with known (scheduled)
languages. At least if you can tell the difference between an oriental
and an arabic language, you will be able to pin down the location of
many broadcasts.

My first solid state desktop receiver was a Kenwood R-600.

Jim(MI)