Old December 20th 10, 05:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Hello! Introduction and a few questions

On 12/19/2010 9:38 PM, RHF wrote:

Simply giving the Customer the best Product
for their normal intended use.
-sort-of-like-
* Not selling a Ferrari Racer to someone who
is looking for a 4WD Off-Road Pick-Up Truck.
* Not selling a Bentley to someone who is
looking for an Open Golf-Cart.

~ RHF
.
.

Actually, no. Instead, it is like this, a crystal radio with an
elaborate antenna can receive EVERY signal the most expensive radio (or
Ferrari, for that matter) can ... once you have the signal you can do
anything you wish with it ... the KEY being, you need the signal!

Regards,
JS
Old December 20th 10, 05:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 12/19/2010 9:51 PM, RHF wrote:

- Should have a Local/Dx attenuator switch.

Actually it does : some do & some don't
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...ble/0360sv.jpg
-wrt- 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios ~ RHF
.

If it has a the Local/DX switch, you can use this as a "Decent Antenna
Detector." When you never have to take the switch off of local, you
will know you have a decent antenna ... ROFLOL

Regards,
JS
Old December 20th 10, 06:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 12/19/2010 9:47 PM, John Smith wrote:

A complete SW setup (or even a good MW DX station) with have a decent
antenna, a balun/unun and matchbox/tuner and fed with a suitable feeder
(coax is best when the feeder goes though areas susceptible to noise,) a
filter(s) able to provide rejection of unwanted signals, an attenuator, etc.
Regards,
JS

And, I forgot to mention lightening protection, and take the antenna
lose and toss it out a window if there is going to be lightening!

Regards,
JS
Old December 20th 10, 06:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Dec 19, 9:47*pm, John Smith wrote:
On 12/19/2010 9:25 PM, RHF wrote:

never-the-less the 'weak signals' e-x-i-s-t
most often other factors prevent you
from hearing them - iane ~ RHF
*.
*.

Absolutely. *Indeed, I'd even speculate that if a mosquito farts in
Australia, it causes a "disturbance" in America! *And, could be
detected--with a sufficiently sensitive detector ...

However, as stated, a longer and/or higher antenna will provide stronger
and more signals.

- Point being, a small antenna can never be
- made to function as well as a larger antenna. *

JS,

Each functions equally 'as well' based on their
relative size.

Practically speaking as the Antenna Size/Length
Increases the "Usability" of the Signals 'developed'
by it may improve to a point -but- beyond that the
added {more more more} Size/Length of the Antenna
may then start to cause other problems that off-set
any increase in Size/Length.

Optimum Performance = Optimal Size/Length

practically speaking 'results matter' ~ RHF
Old December 20th 10, 05:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 12/20/2010 8:52 AM, RHF wrote:

JS ?"liars"? : Did I Call You A 'Liar' ? ~ RHF

i hear what i hear -cause- i take the time
. . . to listen to the radio ~ RHF
.

You can probably best answer that, yourself. Read your own words ... I
don't see you stating me, specifically. Now read my words, again, I
don't see myself claiming you called ME a liar ...

If you are having difficulty with even that, no wonder antennas are much
more difficult for you ...

Regards,
JS

Old December 20th 10, 06:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 12/20/2010 10:07 AM, Bob Dobbs wrote:

Probably the two words of 'language'
that's so far been omitted are - 'capture area'!
A bigger net will capture more fish
even if you decide to throw most of them back.
I think it's better to have enough catch
to be able to throw some back
than bemoaning an empty net.

Well, I can certainly understand where they are coming from. When
getting started in radio, I battled with small antennas from the get-go.
First off, I was 15 years old. My mother didn't want me climbing great
heights or stinging unsightly wires about the property. Luckily, I
interested my father in the hobby ... soon real antennas started happening!

One advantage I had back then, which may be lacking today, is that there
were a LOT of people interested in SW and Amateur Radio, even CB. In
visiting others stations and listening posts, it became quite apparent,
those with the longer higher antennas were receiving signals I was
totally missing ... there is much truth in the phrase, "Seeing is
believing."

Capture area is a major factor, and I did mention it earlier in a post a
few dozen back, or so ... combined with sufficient antenna, matchboxes,
baluns, filters/notch-filters, tuners, etc. one can end up with very
impressive results!

But, the guy who just wants to pull out a whip on a portable and catch
what he can is just as valid ... if it is something you want to hear and
the signal is good, it is all good. Just never hurts to know what is
possible, if you ever want to explore in that direction ...

Regards,
JS
Old December 20th 10, 07:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

C2C is for when you want to get some sleep.Fortunately, doggy and I hit
the sack before midnight.Aints missin nuttin either.
cuhulin

Old December 20th 10, 10:11 PM
Junior Member

Holy crap you guys O_O I've never seen so much bickering over antennas in my life.

I'm pretty confused now. I have a small-ish budget 20-50 to spend on an antenna, what should I get? Something small? Something large?

Although I'm rather confused, I thank you for the replies.

Also, I'd like something that isn't much of an eyesore, as I live in a suburb.
Old December 21st 10, 12:53 AM
Junior Member

Well, my dad said he'd help me put an antenna on the roof. So what would you guys recommend for a vertical antenna? Can my radio handle it? I don't have a BNC plug on my portable.
Old December 21st 10, 01:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 12/20/2010 11:09 AM, Bob Dobbs wrote:
John Smith wrote:

But, the guy who just wants to pull out a whip on a portable and catch
what he can is just as valid ... if it is something you want to hear and
the signal is good, it is all good. Just never hurts to know what is
possible, if you ever want to explore in that direction ...

I certainly wasn't trying to invalidate the 'casual' listener,

I am sorry if you read my words, like tea leaves, and came to that
conclusion. However, I am NOT one to mince words, if I have something
to say, I will say it outright and the consequences be damned!

I am mostly in agreement with you. I use a portable with a whip
frequently, myself ... and the old DX-392 beside my bed simply uses a
small grundig loop ... gets the talk radio stations clear, which I find
favor with ...

But, I didn't take anything you have said to invalidate anyone at all.
I was simply giving the span and breadth of the range of listeners out
there and noting that the hardware they would need would be vastly
differing ... some will even buy a radio, use it for a week and let it
live in a closet for years.

Regards,
JS