Old December 21st 10, 02:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Hello! Introduction and a few questions

On 12/20/2010 2:11 PM, garrett1415 wrote:
Holy crap you guys O_O I've never seen so much bickering over antennas
in my life.

I'm pretty confused now. I have a small-ish budget 20-50 to spend on an
antenna, what should I get? Something small? Something large?

Although I'm rather confused, I thank you for the replies.

Also, I'd like something that isn't much of an eyesore, as I live in a
suburb.

Build one, this page has some elementary instructions ...

http://www.dwave.net/~twomules/antenna.html

You don't have to do everything at once. A 30-70 ft antenna will get
you started receiving enough signals. When you are comfortable and
enjoying the fact you can make your own, expand and improve ... at
least, that is how I did it.

Regards,
JS

Old December 21st 10, 02:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

One of my old off the wall brand name AM/FM/Shortwave table
model/portable Goodwill store radios,,, a bunch of years ago, I
connected an old raggity 100 feet long extension line/cord to that
radio.It did sort of help, a little bit anyway.
cuhulin

Old December 21st 10, 02:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

--
garrett1415

Buy this and 'enjoy'
Par Electronics EF-SWL End-Fed Dipole Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2205.html
Old December 21st 10, 03:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 12/20/2010 6:48 PM, RHF wrote:

Buy this and 'enjoy'
Par Electronics EF-SWL End-Fed Dipole Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2205.html
.

Actually, that is not a bad starting point. Will allow a newbie to get
the feel, have some success and decide if it is a hobby he would like to
pursue and get deeper into!

But, rather pricey for a few feet of wire ...

Regards,
JS

Old December 21st 10, 03:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 20, 5:11*pm, garrett1415
wrote:
Holy crap you guys O_O I've never seen so much bickering over antennas
in my life.

I'm pretty confused now. I have a small-ish budget 20-50 to spend on an
antenna, what should I get? Something small? Something large?

Although I'm rather confused, I thank you for the replies.

Also, I'd like something that isn't much of an eyesore, as I live in a
suburb.

--
garrett1415

If you have ANY copper wire it will cost nothing.
Old December 21st 10, 06:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 20, 7:53*pm, garrett1415
wrote:
Well, my dad said he'd help me put an antenna on the roof. So what would
you guys recommend for a vertical antenna? Can my radio handle it? I
don't have a BNC plug on my portable.

--
garrett1415

Try a small mono jack (don't force it) to connect with the socket
labeled AM EXT ANT . It is next to the telescoping antenna. That is
the input,as far as I know.
Old December 21st 10, 06:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Dec 20, 4:53*pm, garrett1415
wrote:
Well, my dad said he'd help me put an antenna on the roof. So what would
you guys recommend for a vertical antenna? Can my radio handle it? I
don't have a BNC plug on my portable.

--
garrett1415

Better a simple Insulated Wire out the Window
up-to the House Eave and then out-to a Tree Limb
or Fence.
* As long as it is at least 10+ Foot off-the-ground
so that it is not a Head catching hazard.

End it at the Radio with one of these
Portable Wire Antenna [PWA]
http://www.reocities.com/n2uhc/portablewire.html

-or- An Insulated Wire out the Window up-to the
House Eave; then Over-the-Roof; to the Eave* on
the other-side of the House.
-or-or- An Insulated Wire out the Window up-to
the House Eave*; and then along the Eaves for
20~40 Feet.
* Use these to Secure the Insulated Wire at/to the
Eaves : Coax Cable Standoff Screw Type Antenna
Lead Support
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2104003
http://www.summitsource.com/popup_im...D=7269&image=0

-wrt- Insulated 'Antenna' Wire
http://www.dxengineering.com/products.asp?ID=159
-or- Any Insulated Multi-Stranded AWG 14~20 Copper
Wire 50~75~100 Foot long.

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
Old December 21st 10, 06:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 21, 1:15*am, Bob Dobbs wrote:
John Smith wrote:
On 12/20/2010 11:42 AM, wrote:
C2C is for when you want to get some sleep.Fortunately, doggy and I hit
the sack before midnight.Aints missin nuttin either.
cuhulin

Was great when Art Bell was host. *His voice and manner were/are rare in
the world. *george boorey is simply a limp wristed wimp who has all the
personality of an HIV virus. *He has a real skill in attracting every
lunatic, witch, warlock, wannabe vampire, wannabe alien abductee,
escaped nut cases, etc. to his show ... only if the guest is valid will
I tune in, these days ... or, on that odd occasion when Art Bell is
guest host ...

Regards,
JS

Art Ball sort of established the genre of speculative scientific extremism in
talk radio and was able to finesse such an empire out of it, that I think Noory
is simply trying to outdo or one up the tradition, even if he routinely goes
overboard.- Hide quoted text -

He doesn't go overboard. He goes into the unknown by bringing out
impostors, madman, etc. Richard Hoagland is an exception- at least he
makes sense,occassionally...
Old December 21st 10, 06:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

John Smith wrote:
On 12/20/2010 11:42 AM, wrote:
[...]

Even Alex Jones makes sense...occasionally- Hide quoted text -

Indeed, despite his usual eccentricities...