Old December 21st 10, 07:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Hello! Introduction and a few questions

On Dec 20, 10:39*pm, Bob Dobbs wrote:
wrote:
On Dec 21, 1:15*am, Bob Dobbs wrote:
John Smith wrote:
On 12/20/2010 11:42 AM, wrote:
C2C is for when you want to get some sleep.Fortunately, doggy and I hit
the sack before midnight.Aints missin nuttin either.
cuhulin

Was great when Art Bell was host. *His voice and manner were/are rare in
the world. *george boorey is simply a limp wristed wimp who has all the
personality of an HIV virus. *He has a real skill in attracting every
lunatic, witch, warlock, wannabe vampire, wannabe alien abductee,
escaped nut cases, etc. to his show ... only if the guest is valid will
I tune in, these days ... or, on that odd occasion when Art Bell is
guest host ...

Regards,
JS

Art Ball sort of established the genre of speculative scientific extremism in
talk radio and was able to finesse such an empire out of it, that I think Noory
is simply trying to outdo or one up the tradition, even if he routinely goes
overboard.- Hide quoted text -

- - He doesn't go overboard.
- - He goes into the unknown by bringing out
- - impostors, madman, etc.
- - Richard Hoagland is an exception-
- - at least he makes sense,occassionally...

- Even Alex Jones makes sense...occasionally

Yeah every time that one of them says
"Well I Don't Know . . . About That . . ."
they make sense - imho ~ RHF
Old December 21st 10, 10:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 12/20/2010 10:39 PM, Bob Dobbs wrote:

Even Alex Jones makes sense...occasionally

Actually, and overall, I'd say Alex has it about 80% correct!

Very often, and especially these days, the truth is stranger than
fiction ... the recent congress and senate seem to have been fans of
Supermans' Bizarro World ... and are implementing it in their plans.

Damn fools have even started calling themselves "my leaders!" Damn
fools are my public servants ... ROFLOL

Regards,
JS
Old December 21st 10, 11:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 12/20/2010 10:10 PM, Bob Dobbs wrote:
John Smith wrote:
the old DX-392 beside my bed simply uses a
small grundig loop

Would that be the Grundig AN200? http://bit.ly/huKbsY
I got one a few months ago and use it for the same purpose.

That's it.

I frequently listen to talk radio and had a large loop beside the bed,
against the wall.

Wife came home with that little thing and I laughed at it.

However, I hooked it up to show her it would not be sufficient -- and
had to eat my words ... :-( It sets in a window and is fed from the
jack provided on the loop ... works better than the mutual coupling method.

The larger, homemade loop beats it, but I don't do real DX beside the
bed, so it is just fine. Allows me to get KGO in san fransicko with
VERY minimal fading (difficult without a loop from my location and KGO's
antenna orientation towards their desired audience.)

Regards,
JS

Old December 21st 10, 01:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bob Dobbs wrote:
John Smith wrote:

Even rewriting the facts will not change any of this ... or, even
attempting to use language to obfuscate this will be unsuccessful.

Probably the two words of 'language'
that's so far been omitted are - 'capture area'!
A bigger net will capture more fish
even if you decide to throw most of them back.
I think it's better to have enough catch
to be able to throw some back
than bemoaning an empty net.

End fed antennas impedance vary wildly with length. A true long wire
(over a wavelength) picks up exactly as much + wave as it does - wave,
and therefore the net gain is zero except along a very narrow axis
extending off both ends (unterminated) or the far end only (terminated).
This is the only condition I know of where the antenna itself provides a
crude kind of space diversity.
Old December 21st 10, 01:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
C2C is for when you want to get some sleep.Fortunately, doggy and I hit
the sack before midnight.Aints missin nuttin either.
cuhulin

You can get every show, from the mid '90s onward, no commercials, on
Shoutcast.

Old December 21st 10, 01:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bob Dobbs wrote:
Bob Dobbs wrote:
garrett1415 wrote:

Holy crap you guys O_O I've never seen so much bickering over antennas
in my life.

I'm pretty confused now. I have a small-ish budget 20-50 to spend on an
antenna, what should I get? Something small? Something large?

Although I'm rather confused, I thank you for the replies.

Also, I'd like something that isn't much of an eyesore, as I live in a
suburb.

Get as much wire as that wad will buy
and run it as far and high away from the house as possible.

I missed the part about being in a suburb so my suggestion,
while best for rural, probably wouldn't work out too well.

How about a nice MFJ-1024 active whip for outside?
Old December 21st 10, 04:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bob Dobbs wrote:
John Smith wrote:
It sets in a window and is fed from the
jack provided on the loop ... works better than the mutual coupling method.

I have to use the jack coupling method with the E1
(no internal ferrite)

Allows me to get KGO

I only get them at night absent the 'D' layer absorbtion
and at this distance (about 500 miles)
reception is more a factor of propagation than selectivity
but the loop does seem to beat the whip.

You could get them all day in the dead of winter until KABC's and KLAA's
IBOC transmissions covered them up.