Old December 21st 10, 10:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Late 18th Century Rural Distractions

On 12/21/10 16:34 , m II wrote:
On 10-12-21 02:54 PM, D. Peter Maus wrote:

I'm still using a Briggs powered lawnmower my father purchased new in
1964. I mowed every lawn in the neighborhood, at 1 hour each, for 5
years, when I lived in New Duchesne Hills, two neighbors' lawns at 1.5
hours each, in Hazelwood for 8, and my own, sometimes twice a week,
since new.

It's still running, still starts on the second crank, every time.

Had it been better built, it would still be on it's FIRST crank.

Actually, that's not true. A carburetor takes at least one crank
to begin to draw correctly.

didn't even know you could get rebuild parts....

I've put one set of bearings in it. And carburetor membranes.
Other than that, haven't needed any.

Old December 21st 10, 11:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 10-12-21 03:39 PM, D. Peter Maus wrote:
On 12/21/10 16:34 , m II wrote:
On 10-12-21 02:54 PM, D. Peter Maus wrote:

I'm still using a Briggs powered lawnmower my father purchased new in
1964. I mowed every lawn in the neighborhood, at 1 hour each, for 5
years, when I lived in New Duchesne Hills, two neighbors' lawns at 1.5
hours each, in Hazelwood for 8, and my own, sometimes twice a week,
since new.

It's still running, still starts on the second crank, every time.

Had it been better built, it would still be on it's FIRST crank.

Actually, that's not true. A carburetor takes at least one crank to
begin to draw correctly.

didn't even know you could get rebuild parts....

I've put one set of bearings in it. And carburetor membranes. Other than
that, haven't needed any

That was meant as a joke. I KNOW you meant 'crank' as a pull on the
starting rope. I used the term as a shortening of 'crankshaft'. Not too
many people would change that.

mike

Old December 21st 10, 11:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 12/21/10 16:34 , m II wrote:
[...]

No, actually, I meant 'crank' as in crank. There is no starter
rope on this model. You turn it over with a fold out crank handle on
the top of the engine...where the traditional recoil starter would be.

As for changing out a crank...I've done it. Not on this model,
obviously, but I did service lawnmowers for a number of years. The
most common failure on Tecumseh engines I saw was spun bearings and
cracked crankshafts.

One of my experiments a number of years ago, was on a Murray I
picked up at a garage sale. It had a Tecumseh motor on it and it
needed a tune up and a carb kit. Took about an hour and a half to
rebuild the carb and I had it running. While doing the tune-up, I
got the bright idea to improve performance by as much as I could get
away with. Fitting new rings, balancing the crank/rod/piston
assembly, shaving the head, hand lapping the valves, porting and
polishing, and rejetting the carb, I got it to nearly double it's
full run rpm's, but it required premium fuel.

On a smooth payment, it would dance around the output shaft by
itself. And the output chute could drive a wind tunnel. It was the
only lawn mower that needed a tail rotor.

I had to advance the timing by a bit to get it to run smoothly,
and put a bigger squirrel cage fan on it to keep it cool. And I put
a port fin on the exhaust header, but it started strong, and ran
like a monster.

Until the casting let go.

I was picking aluminum out of the siding on the garage for
months. Hot oil flew 50 feet in every direction. And I never did
find the spark plug.

But, damn, for those two hours, it was something.

Never tried to punch up a Briggs, though.

Old December 21st 10, 11:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Calgary,Alberta? somewhere out in that neck of the woods? I reckon that
is over 2,000 miles Northwest of doggy's couch.He has a Crystal Ball.He
sees doggy sleeping on her end of her couch and I am sitting on my end
of doggy's couch with a plastic bowl of Kellog's Rasin Brand with milk
and banana and some mixed fruit.I always save a few spoon fulls for
doggy, but no raisins for doggy.He will be telling me what I am watching
on the OVTV channel right now.
cuhulin

Old December 22nd 10, 12:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 10-12-21 04:44 PM, D. Peter Maus wrote:

On a smooth payment, it would dance around the output shaft by itself.
And the output chute could drive a wind tunnel. It was the only lawn
mower that needed a tail rotor.

Neat. I once thought of trying to make a hovercraft using a lawnmower as
a base. Being a kid, I figured just bending the blade a bit more would
be enough. It's just as well that I never tried it, I would have wound
up missing toes. Or something.

mike

Old December 22nd 10, 12:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 12/21/10 18:03 , m II wrote:
On 10-12-21 04:44 PM, D. Peter Maus wrote:

On a smooth payment, it would dance around the output shaft by itself.
And the output chute could drive a wind tunnel. It was the only lawn
mower that needed a tail rotor.

Neat. I once thought of trying to make a hovercraft using a lawnmower as
a base. Being a kid, I figured just bending the blade a bit more would
be enough. It's just as well that I never tried it, I would have wound
up missing toes. Or something.

mike

After the first season of Fireball XL5, I tried to build a
jetmobile using two riding lawnmower engines and counter-rotating
ducted fans. I got it to lift, but it was too unstable to remain
off the ground. I needed to build a counter rotating gyro, but never
got the transmission down to a size that was small enough to fit
inside the bodywork.